US Gold Cup roster - Frankie Hejduk

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Flyer Fan, May 24, 2007.

1. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Bradley Names 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup Roster

Frankie Hejduk is on the roster. Shockingly enough, he's the only Columbus representative. Bradley wanted the Crew's attacking options, but most of them are foreign.

According to the release, MLS players report to camp on June 3.

2. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    Ive been anti-Frankie for years. His play this year has really made me look stupid.

Good for him. And our squad will definitely miss him when hes gone...Could we have a Brandon Moss sighting? Or will Marshall finally shake his concussion?

3. Coach Dad

Coach Dad Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm no doctor, but I'm not sure you're supposed to shake a concussion.

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Congrats to Frankie. I know he'll represent club and country well.

I'm a little suprised by Guzan over Reis. Was there a deal not to take too many players from one team?

5. CrewDuff

CrewDuff Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Eastgate
    Bradley won't want to do anything to piss off any coaches more than he has to. The third keeper has no realistic chance of seeing any minutes in the Gold Cup, and Guzan to Burpo is probably less of a downgrade than Reis to whatever NE's backup is. Too bad for Chivas, I hear Dan Popik is availible these days...

6. calderone01

calderone01 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Pickerington, OH
    Agreed, and you're also likely to see Reis and maybe Noonan called up from the Revs for the Copa later. Hate to see Frankie lost to us for even part of the summer, but best of luck to him. The guy has earned it.

7. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good for Frankie, he is the only player on the Crew that deserves to go....

8. Joedogsweetman

Aug 18, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This year? :rolleyes: I think your being too kind on yourself:p

9. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, if we have to lose our skipper for a good amount of time, hopefully he'll see some significant action on the field.

this looks like, for the most part, the USA "A" team. i will be curious to see what BB takes to Copa America. I would rather we try to condition our Nats in a competition that does not take place in USA

10. somaside

somaside New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    killumbus o-hi-er
    Frankie not playing was the reason the crew lost that open cup game v la...frankie is a solid defender and can get into scoring positions on offense...if you remember from the game galaxcy put a ton of crosses in from our right side (frankies normal position) and if he was around thoughs crosses wouldn't have numbered so high and doubtful any of them would of found the back of the net. that was the one position la was able to exploit that game.

11. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish he would have taken Gaven with him.

For the sole purpose of keeping him off the field here.

12. somaside

somaside New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    killumbus o-hi-er
    haha brad evans deserves a look at too for that same reason

13. GeneralLongstreet

Mar 22, 2007
    town full of losers
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big congrats too Frankie. Can't say enough about this man, the way he has played this season after taking a pay cut, after suffering what should have been a career ending injury. Yeah...I have a boy crush on Frankie. Anyone that has a problem with that can bug off.

about the national team roster....this doesn't seem like an A team. In my opinion this could even be a B - team. thoughts?

what happened to Cory Gibbs?

14. BenHouck

BenHouck Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasn't played in a year. Last game was the 1st going away series game before the World Cup against Tunisia.

15. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Completely unrelated to the Crew, but what's Simek doing on that roster? I'll admit that I don't think I've ever seen the guy play, but I try to keep well informed of how the Americans in Europe are playing, and I haven't exactly been reading a pile of stellar reviews of Simek's play. I'd like to think that MLS has progressed to the point where the top defenders in MLS should be getting national team looks before guys who play on crappy, unsuccessful clubs in Europe just because those crappy, unsuccessful clubs happen to be located in Europe.

I've said the same thing about Demerit in the past. I don't think being a defender on the Premiership club with the worst defense (or close to it; I haven't checked lately) should qualify a player for national team duty over a defender who plays for the best defensive teams in MLS just because the club happens to play in England. But at least Demerit seems to have a knack for coming through in a handful clutch situations.

Again, I don't think I've ever seen Simek play so I fully understand that my opinion doesn't carry a lot of weight on this particular topic, but I'm just throwing it out there.

16. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey

not that it means much. He was one of the better players on a mid-table Colaship side. I'd love to bitch about all the wonderful, talented left backs that should have been called in over him but......

17. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, I think I see a pattern where BB is calling in a bunch of Euros right now for the Gold Cup that are not going to see any action down in Venezuela. I think this way he gets to see a bunch of these guys holding jobs over there in a real competition, he doesn't have to fight with their clubs, and then when they're done, they still have some time off to recoup before they have to return to their club teams at the end of the summer. ISTM that BB is tryign to also lighten the burden on MLS clubs since it will be a long summer and the demand on the MLS clubs is only going to increase after the Gold Cup.

As for Simek, didn't he play in our big win over Ecuador earlier this year? I thought several of these defenders showed failry well during those friendlies.