US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part III

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 15, 2017.

1. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    it looks like the players dont agree with the clubs and our clueless media. The most egregious case is Hamid.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any news on Horvath pushing for a transfer? I’d like to see him try out a move in either English Championship, Eredivise, Bundesliga 1/2 (Hamburg?), Ligue 1, or maybe in Portugal or Spain.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    @futbal nut would know.
    I'd wanna see him in the Bundesliga or Serie A. But I do wonder what the possible situation might be for him moving in January after having played only like 3 or 5 times in the 5 months prior.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t mind him going to a club, like Crotone, who are likely to be promoted. But I don’t know the keeper situation there or a club like that who needs a new keeper.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You want him to drop to Serie B? I doubt he'd take a loan in January so probably a complete transfer. I wonder if such a club could afford him. I'd reckon Brugge will probably want a few million for him.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    What's the situation with the likes of Alex Bono or Cody Crooper? Are they essential the no.2's at their clubs now?

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, beggars can’t be choosers. I just want him to find a club that will guarantee him playing time. I like competition and all, but Horvath strikes me as the kind of player who needs to have his ego stroked more often than not. He seems to become sullen when he’s in poor form.

which, that’s a horrible sign... especially for a keeper. But, our keeper situation is so bad outside of Steffen that something has to give.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I feel ya. I would reckon his European matches showcase some interest above a 2nd division. Like maybe relegation fodder clubs in the Bundesliga or Premier League would be interested though he might be seen as a risk and probably signed as a no.2

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s what I fear. I’d rather him go to a second division and lock down a number one spot.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Must be some EL or CL clubs in Turkey or Netherlands who'd be interested.

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoughts on who he could surpass in the Championship? maybe Declan Rudd at PNE?

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Sadly, I'm ignorant of the Championship. I'd bet he could be a starter for sure at Reading judging by how poorly their defense is.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if he could follow the Yedlin route, that would be outstanding.

15. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horvath is probably going to go out on loan first with an option to buy. Mignolet is not old for a keeper, but I don't see a lot of teams giving much for Horvath right now until he gets some PT. My guess would be a move to lower league team Serie B, B2, or a low end team fighting to stay up.

16. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cropper was never good enough. Had innumerable errors with the U20s and they just kept pushing him through for whatever reason.

Bono will likely be an MLS-lifer. I can't see him going anywhere else, despite the Belgium connection now eons ago.

Both finished as backups in 2019. Bono seems more likely to get back to a number one spot faster, considering the situation at Toronto (Westberg aging, mixed regular-season run at best) and the fact that his profile is (I would think) higher than Cropper in terms of trade value.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im ready to start the Quentin Westberg train again I think, anyone wanna tag along?

18. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Surprised Stefan Frei didn't even finish in the top five....guess it's because he plays on the West Coast.

Nobody west of Minnesota in the top 5....

19. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a pretty underwhelming regular season although his postseason play has been admirable. At 33, not sure how he would fit into the NT : /

20. UncagedGorilla

Barcelona
    Sep 22, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Preston would probably be a good bet for a club that wouldn't mind upgrading their keeper and has a strong chance for promotion. Other teams in the top half that would probably be up for a new keeper would be QPR for sure and likely Fulham. QPR has a nice core of young players and a lot of people feel like this year may be asking a bit too much to expect promotion but next year they could be up to the task. Largely the better teams have the better keepers with those three exceptions in my humble opinion. QPR is probably the most likely path to playing on a pretty good team but it would likely be at the Championship level for at least a year and a half.

I think Horvath would be better off going to Germany or even a Dutch team if he could find one that is likely to play in Euro competitions.

21. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ifsteve and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd think as easily as Steffen has taken to the Bundesliga another team might have some interest in Horvath at least as a loan for spring.

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Steffen is out with tendinitis in his knee. Wish Horvath had been getting some playing time. I guess it's up to the fancy-footed Guzan to see us through (the game v Canada).

24. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also have the return of Matt Turner