US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part III

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else think he looks a bit like the Punisher from the recent series?

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think Guzan is just serving the Rimando role from the last cycle.
    A veteran guy the staff can trust not to crap the bed if called upon in an emergency.

Steffen is #1 by a wide margin. After that it's pretty much an open competition..

gogorath and ifsteve repped this.
  4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen has a bit of an injury history. Not that he's missed lots of time but occasional bouts where he'll miss a few games here or there. GB needs to find other keepers he can trust for if that happens.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He has Horvath for sure and potential from guys like Gonzalez not to mention guys who can fill in like a Johnson.

Though I wonder if Hamid will ever receive a call-up again?

6. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    The thing about Johnson vs. Guzan is that if you have 2 young keepers who have not played in a WC, you really need a veteran backup who won't come in and crumble under pressure. Just in case the young guys do. Plus he seems to be a leader. Or at least a good quote for the media.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    We just need some good KARMA to happen for Horvath and for Gonzalez to get himself in contention for a move abroad and we'll be set til 2022.

ifsteve repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    1176119745084571648 is not a valid tweet id

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Season's almost over in MLS. Who do you peg to get the Keeper of the Year?

12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Matt Turner has been a beast. He's been little appreciated because all the credit has gone to Almeyda, but Vega has been great as well -- and probably is the single biggest upgrade in MLS year over year (Vega's value v Tarbell).

I expect a veteran who lost it to others the last few years to actually win it, though, Melia or Frei or even Guzan, who has a shot at the clean sheet record.

Turner deserves some level of look.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Steffen! :D

14. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turner has been good, especially being counted out for how many times now?

I've got Steve Clark and Maxime Crepeau but I don't think either will win it. Basically the team has to be a contender or the gk has to be doing something on the international stage.

Rimando and Howard have been really average but I could see one of them picking it up just because it's the end of an era.

gogorath and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Winoman repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Steffen, Guzan and Johnson.

So is Sean Johnson our no.2 going forward or is it just simply because Horvath isn't getting any PT?

17. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say it's because Horvath isn't playing. He was going balls out last season but was done dirty by his team. There is no reason that he wouldn't be solid #2 or occasional #1 if he had been allowed to continue to play.

18. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to think the last time the best performing MLS gks were called in...

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Referring to Melia and Frei?

20. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Frei has been pretty underwhelming this year. Melia got off to a terrible start but has evened out. 2018 was a strong year for them but 2019 has not been kind. Clark and Turner are running the show now.

Admittedly, it's all pretty fickle. Clark and Turner could have an average year just a likely as anyone else, but I do think there's something to be said about reward the top goalkeepers and not just keeping the same names in, regardless of performance. From the USYNT to the senior squad, it's just recycling the same names far too often.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I don't follow the ins and outs but are Clark/Turner really having a better season than say Hamid?

Clark is nearly as old as Guzan so that counts against him whereas Turner is a year older than Horvath and Steffen. Hopefully he gets a call-up in January to reward him. And hopefully he isn't just a one season wonder.

I do wonder why Melia and Frei weren't given more opportunities in recent years.

22. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh absolutely better than Hamid. Give me a week and I'll have my GSAR stats finalized. I do think MLS does a terrible job of highlighting any gk who doesn't do upper 90 saves, fwiw.

The age for a goalkeeper is pretty irrelevant, especially when it comes to friendlies or playing low CONCACAF. Just call the best guys in and maybe the odd, serious prospect. Are we really looking to count on anyone who isn't named Steffen or Horvath for serious games in the next 8 years? Very unlikely. So just reward the best instead of calling in the middling talent. Johnson has 8 (!!!) caps and has only finished in the top 5 for MLS goalkeeper of the year just once after ten years in the league.

bsky22 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    But which young keepers out there are doing anything?

We have these discussions for the Olympic qualifying group.

Which Olympics-eligible keeper is doing anything worthy of mention in first soccer?
    I believe that the 4 keepers just called up to the US U23 camp have a grand total of 6 first team appearances this season. (David Ochoa, Brady Scott, JT Marcinkowski, and Matt Freese).

Maybe we have to count on Jonathan Klinsmann. He's made two appearances in the Swiss Cup.

I'm with ya. In the absence of these young keepers to include, we should just be taking the best from MLS. I wonder if FCD asked the USSF not to call up Jesse Gonzalez? They rejected the U23s request for Pomykal and Ferreira in this window. Gonzalez has taken a step forward in many respects this season. I certainly would have selected him over Sean Johnson.

Keeper right now to me is Steffen and then everybody else. With Horvath not playing, he's back to the pack for me in terms of a USMNT role. Not the clear #2.

24. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, good point. The U23 crop is really underwhelming. Scott/Ochoa looked rough with the U20s. Marcinkowski hasn't looked great in USL. Freese had some positive moments with Philly but not sure he's NT call up-level, but the most intriguing of the bunch for me. Klinsmann is pretty average across the board.

Of the U23s standouts, the Benfica kid, Carlos dos Santos, and Furman's junior goalkeeper, Ben Hale, are the only ones that really interest me tbh. I think they both have some interesting upside. But no, our next wave of goalkeeping should not be impressing anyone atm.

The Horvath thread is giving some hope that Ethan moves to a better club situation for 2020, but TBD on that.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamid with his 14 cleansheet of the season. Finished the season tied with Guzan.

I'd like to see Berhalter give him a shot this winter provided he isn't going back to Denmark.

Winoman repped this.