US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part III

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 15, 2017.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1066486488345526277 is not a valid tweet id

2. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God no.

Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, no thank you, no thank you at all. I dont want our best keeper prospect rotting on the bench.

Winoman, largegarlic and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess he would be loaned out... if they’re committed to finding him a place where he’ll play it won’t be that bad.

ChuckMe92 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Gotta figure he'd be making 10x his regular wages with them and probably get to play in 7 games a season. Hmmmm

I was hoping he might return to the Bundesliga.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NAC Breda would sure as hell get him a lot of practice

7. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't pooh pooh this too quickly. Remember that they play a ton of games with UCL and EPL so he may get more time than you think even if not loaned out. Now clearly keepers need to play so I get that. Would be interesting to see how this would shake out.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    #533 Placid Casual, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    He doesn't qualify for a work permit automatically.

Man City have already had work permit appeals turned down.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...glas-luiz-refused-work-permit-manchester-city

He would be going out on loan somewhere.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Quite early but who gets the winter callup?

Guzan? Hamid? Gonzalez? Melia? Bono? Kinsman maybe?

10. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most likely won't be any of the guys playing in Europe.

11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Finally someone to break the MLS GK transfer record.

13. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    If he gets game time, on loan is fine, he'll be in a good position. Miazga has gotten plenty of field time being shuffled around by a big club. But, if he vanishes on a bench somewhere, Horvath played a good game for he US and seems to have become more convincing with his club so we may well have a battle on our hands. I have to admit, the US goalkeeping situation is looking markedly better than a year or two ago.

14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

USSoccerNova and largegarlic repped this.
  15. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I'm not sure about this move for Steffen. Ederson is only 25, so there seems to be no path to being the starter. So, it's loans or being #2 as far as the eye can see. If he's just going to get loaned out for a couple years, why not do a straight transfer to, say, mid- to low-level Bundesliga club, have a couple good years, and then aim for a transfer up the ladder?

Now I know that the answer is money--both in terms of his salary and a team willing to pay a big enough transfer to get MLS to budge--but still not sure this is best long-term for his career.

16. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be funnier if that affiliate club were NYCFC.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's looking way better than just 6 months ago. If Hamid returns to form and Gonzalez puts it altogether and with JK (and other young guys in the pipeline), we'll be set.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    A Yank keeper in La Liga? Finally, the Big Man upstairs is listening.

Just a little info I came across; As of now, Girona is 7th with 15 goals conceded in 13 games.

The no.1 is Canadian-born and has played in every league game with 5 clean sheets. He's been their no.1 going on a year. The club no.2 is 37 and has only played once this season.

Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do hope Gonzalez gets a January callup as I still have hope in him, but he must be second-guessing the switch from Mexico right now. Firmly behind youngsters who put up MOTM international friendly performances against France and Italy, one who might be in La Liga on loan from the Premier League champions, another who recently shut out Monaco in Champions League. And it seems pretty clear the US has more prominent youth keepers than Mexico. Gonzalez would have a better shot with Mexico in the long run.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Mexico def doesn't seem to put much priority in their goalkeeping. Seems like they stick with a vet and years go by before realizing they should try to have several back up options.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  21. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Big Man upstairs were really listening, he'd kick USSF's leadership to the curb, instead.

USA-Zebuel and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    As long as he's in Europe and playing regularly, I think thats good. Most of our good young players from MLS don't ever leave MLS, so getting out of MLS now that he has European interest is good. Man City's back up isn't a bad option either. He wouldn't play as much, but he'd learn from the best coach in football, and he probably would play enough games to keep sharp because of how many games Man City plays.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's sometimes easy to forgot how young some of these guys move abroad. Howard moved to United at 24 after 5 years in MLS. Guzan moved to AV at 23 after 4 seasons in MLS. Zach making his big move (also at 23) after 2 years of MLS.

24. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I do think this looks like a purchase with an eye toward a future sale more than expecting he will eventually suit up for Man City under Pep. Pep has jettisoned more established goalkeepers than Steffen because they weren't the type to play much with their feet. And I've seen nothing to make it look like Steffen is a guy who plays with his feet much back there.

Anyone know much about his ability in this regard?

25. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I understand the unhappiness with a club like MC signing him, because he clearly won't be in their plans. That seems to be a negative.

But as a few others alluded to, it seems there is this new dynamic where they do it for future sales, US market, whatever. And with all their affiliate clubs, he's definitely going to get a chance to play somewhere.

It almost seems to be better than going straight to a lower-tier La Liga club. If something doesn't work out, he's not simply kicked to the curb. He will still have Man City and it's group of clubs to move on to. Plus, with these constant loans, at least from an outsider's perspective, makes me think these players will have to perform consistently, and not get static or lazy at one specific club.

I think it's time, at least for me, for a shift in thinking. It's not "ohhh noooo, he'll never play there, this stinks!", but rather basically moving to a place in Europe (who knows which club) where he'll be performing against better competition and being pushed on a daily basis.

Seems pretty decent.