US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part III

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 15, 2017.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ...in training every day? Danish Cup? The playoff game where he conceded three?

Pick one or all.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Crumbs. Lets see how he does when he has a run of games. I don't think they are going to keep him long to be a back up, given his salary. He'll either be the starter or leave the club, IMO.

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Or ever.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ^This. I'm sure he'll get more pre-season action.

He shouldn't have gotten the winter call-up. Always stay with your club.

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #255 manfromgallifrey91, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    That error was as much who he is as it was rust. If you have followed him, you have to know that. And I've been off the Hamid train a long time, you can check my post history. Can ge improve, absolutely. But he hasn't shown me much yet and he is 27, with a bunch of younger keepers. If both keepers make the same mistakes, you always play the younger one. He has longer to fix it.

The article in my post breaks down somethings with some good examples or why I have never thought Hamid was consistent enough to be great.

The shot versus Orlando was way worse than Lorius Karius. The red card he got for his two foot tackle because he was slow to respond way outside the box(think it was Dallas). He is prone to horrible distribution look at that goal he gave up against the crew. his communication is extremely poor, leading to more errors on crosses and in odd man rushes. And that's off the top of my head.

He is just not consistent enough. I'm not saying he is trash, but if Bill Hamid is the answer to our GK position then I believe the US is in trouble at that spot. He is too nervy in the air. He is pretty poor in his technique 1v1. He relies on his athleticism over positioning. He struggles with foot work and reading the ball.

Will he make great highlight saves, yes he will. But once in a while he will gift a goal or two in a really bad way or be forced to make a great save because of an error he committed. Cant have that at the NT level. Anyway, just my eval of Hamid. Maybe you see something else and that's fine too.

6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    why should he have gotten more caps? He was often injured, his play for his club has been flat and possibly declining for years, and has never impressed when he has gotten a chance.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He was ALWAYS hurt during internationals. On merit he deserved more, but dude was never healthy.

onefineesq repped this.
  8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I have no idea who thought that was a good idea. Ultimately, it is on Hamid to make the right decision.

9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    he was called in a lot more and had to pull out of camps many times. It has just been poor luck and him not advancing his game. There is nobody else to blame.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I agree. On the one hand, I can see that it keeps him sharp. But on the other; you just joined a new club. An injury in a pointless B-friendly wouldn't have helped things.

11. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    At a new team, you get crumbs at first. And if you do well in spot duty, your roll expands. You can't expect to get a few minutes, do poorly and then somehow get an extednded run. And in goal especially, errors need to be few and far between. Multiple, glaring errors in scant minutes is a good way to disappear and never get back on the field. If he's rusty, it's his own fault for not taking his chances. He's a professional. It's his job t be ready to play when called. Lots of guys ride pine for a long time and keep themselves ready to play and take their chances when given.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this on 3rd Degree's twitter feed and thought I'd throw it into the hopper here to see if it means anything.

Jesse Gonzalez has saved 81.3% of the shots he has faced from inside his box, the most among all MLS goalkeepers. Only three other players have a save percentage of at least 70% on similar shots, none more than 76.5%. (Quick reaction saves are JG's best trait!)

13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's good to have Gonzalez in the fold, at the very least to keep him away from Mexico. Our current keeper situation isn't ideal but we have much more young talent than Mexico. If I'm not mistaken, they have only three keepers age 30 or under who are currently starters in a professional first division, one of them is another Mexican-American, Richard Sanchez. Gonzalez could well have been their #1 or #2 of the future.

14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First division professional starters age 25 or under: Steffen, Horvath, Gonzalez, Turner, Miller. Vom Steeg and Marcinkowski may soon be starting in MLS. The NCAA and USL have so many players that perhaps a few additional finds will surface. Turner is an example of that -- never played for USYNTs, worked his way through college and PDL and USL, now doing well starting in MLS at 24. Our situation isn't ideal but I think Mexico's is much worse.

For first-division starters age 25 or under, Mexico has just Gibran Lajud of Xolos and then Sanchez of Chicago Fire who could switch to the USMNT. Just those two before diving into the youth national team keepers, which we have more talent at too. Vom Steeg, Marcinkowski, Klinsmann, Silva, Muse, Scott, Lopez, Ejimadu, Garces, Dos Santos, Defreitas-Hansen, Ochoa, Las is really good. Some of Mexico's best current youth keepers, like Romero and Avilez, were previously third-string USYNT keepers who couldn't get playing time for us. So I think the loss of Jesse Gonzalez is pretty bad for Mexico. Their current keepers are very old, Liga MX has many foreign starting keepers, and he may have had the most raw talent of any young keeper they had.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how good or highly rated are the Mexican keepers?

16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a high opinion of them. Ochoa has been their top one for years and he hasn't ever been able to play at a higher level than for relegation fodder teams in (admittedly good) European leagues. Gonzalez needs to be more consistent but he has looked very special at times. It was poor roster management of Mexico to not select him for the Gold Cup last year, because frankly, I think he would have opted Mexico over the US if they had done so. It may sound a bit ludicrous but it would not surprise me if the loss of Jesse Gonzalez eventually hurts Mexico more than the loss of Jonathan Gonzalez hurts the US. Mexico's depth of young keepers is very poor compared to ours.

Lajud looks to be easily the best young keeper Mexico has, though he is still not proven. If he really pans out well and becomes their firm #1 and can stay fully healthy, then they will be mostly fine. If he doesn't really pan out, then they are in trouble. Sanchez right now is basically their future #2 and he has not been great in MLS, and he could even flip if the US want to invite him to January camp.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I think it should be clear who our #1 is at the moment.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, close the thread, it's Steffen. Pick your backups of choice, I don't care who they are.

19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He still has work to do, but it isnt close at this point. Hopefully, he can figure out a move abroad this summer or after the season. He wanted to come home a couple of years ago and it has served him well, but needs to be playing at a higher level.

LouisianaViking07/09 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  20. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Steffen's job unless he moves to Denmark and forgets how to catch the ball.

21. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to think -- when was the last time we saw a performance better than Steffen's from a USMNT keeper? Howard vs. Belgium in 2014? Maybe Guzan in one of the 2016 Copa matches? This was no ordinary friendly, from the world-class players he faced, to a stadium environment far more raucous than the Ireland one.

22. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Howard 2008 against Argentina is up there too.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hope some Euro team doesn't get Steffen just to bench him somewhere.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #274 OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Steffen, get it, got it, good. Hope he did good enough to get a few scouts to watch the tape.

Now we find the depth. Rooting for Jesse Gonzalez to put on a good show for FC Dallas. Dude's got the capacity to make it competitive eventually. But right now the debate ends, this is currently Steffen's car to drive

LouisianaViking07/09 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I really think Steffen should be abroad within the year.