US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part II

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by giffenbone, Nov 7, 2011.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid starts. I'd guess Guzan and Johnson will be dropped after the group stage for Howard and Gonzalez.

Pl@ymaker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Gonzalez to start Wednesday in Philadelphia.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hamid kept a clean sheet, something Guzan could not do in any of the three games he played.

4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Hamid was called on to make 2 saves... the one in the 74th minute (6:00 mark of video below) is classic Hamid. He does two good things and one bad. He gets down well on a shot from 25-30 yard, but gives up unnecessary rebound, but recovers quickly. The other was a routine tip over the crossbar for a corner towards the end of the second half (3:40). On the subsequent corner kick he punches around Zusi to give up another corner. At 5:15 of video, he isn't set and prepared for shot from distance off clearance... he was beaten but shot just wide.

Hamid got a clean sheet against Nicaragua, but also made some mistakes and didn't seem real assuring on a number of occasions. Against better teams, mistakes get punished. My guess would be that this is one of Hamids last games outside January camps. He's number three on this roster now as far as I'm concerned.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be the only way he could see the field... got to firgure it's Howard from there out but it's a risk in a knock out game. Its also a game he could give to Hamid. Having said that I think we see Howard the rest of the way.

6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From U.S. Soccer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TxEx, ussoccer97531, Pl@ymaker and 3 others repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Why bring in Howard? Guzan or Hamid or Gonzalez should be able to get us through this. Heck, if we score more than we concede, we'd be okay.

I wanna see what Hamid and Gonzalez can do. Not to see Howard again and again.

8. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting the team prepared and ready for the World Cup is substantially more important than who we might like to see . .

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  9. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    True, but does playing Howard here do much to get us ready for the World Cup? Howard is Howard. Establishing a pecking order behind him in case he gets hurt would be be a priority for me, and these are the only competitive matches to do that where the World Cup isn't on the line.

TxEx, mike4066 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly, this is the other side of the coin . .

Howard was a key player for us in WC '14. Getting the team comfortable and in a rhythm is important heading forward.

I think Gonzalez will start Wednesday, we will see.

There are a lot of MLS matches on Wednesday night. Neither Howard, Hamid and Gonzalez' teams play.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Arena should have brought in Howard to start. Or simply entrusted it to the likes of Guzan/Hamid/Johnson. Simply retreading the same guys teaches nothing. Howard was at his best when he knew Guzan was on his ass. I just think it's fine time Arena give the others a chance at the no2/3 spot

12. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '95 6-foot-5 Adrian Zendejas continues to do very well in USL. After posting a ridiculous 0.36 GAA (3 goals conceded in 750 minutes) and 0.87 SV% last year up to the USL Cup Final match, he has a still-excellent 0.67 GAA and 0.81% SV so far this year, and also signed an MLS contract with Sporting KC. This is a keeper who is obviously pretty far down the list in terms of USMNT discussion, yet he's doing quite well as a pro who is age 21. Just feeling really good about the future of this position for the USMNT when we even have guys like him and Eric Klenofsky in USL, and others toiling away in good old NCAA college soccer such as James Pyle and Elliot Panicco, who look pretty decent and are gradually working their way up. Not currently playing professionally in a first-division league like MLS or the Belgian Jupiler League, not with a prominent DA or European academy, not with US youth teams, but still promising as additional insurance.

13. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Gonzalez now tied to the US for good whether he plays in a match or not? Of does he still have to see the field to be cap tied. My understanding was that the paperwork he just completed was a one time deal so he's a US keeper play or not.

And for the record I'd like to see him at least in the second half tomorrow night.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. He can play only for the US moving forward, no matter whether he actually plays.

Winoman, Pl@ymaker and ifsteve repped this.
  15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that there's any evidence (based on callups) Arena has him in MNT contention, but it's too bad Tim Melia didn't make the MLS ASG even as a backup. I understand the Howard pick based on the national team, but don't really get the Frei pick. Perhaps it was his save against TFC.

16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Damn we look pretty stacked at goalkeepers for some years to come. Lots of potential there.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesse Gonzalez: Bruce Arena helped convince me to make U.S. switch
    http://www.espnfc.us/concacaf-gold-...rena-helped-convince-me-to-make-mexico-switch

Snip:
    "The U.S. had already opened the doors for me in the past, and I think it's something, as a player, that you want to feel like you're someone, that they're supporting you in everything," Gonzalez said.
    "And the U.S. did that, and I think Bruce did a great job of convincing me as well. He told me I was playing in MLS and it's way easier to keep track of you and everything. And I think he also did a great job of telling me of my future, and I think he had a point in that, and I agreed, and everything happened."

"Osorio did not convince me": Jesse González

http://www.espn.com.mx/futbol/nota/_/id/3406667/osorio-no-me-convencio-jesse-gonzalez

Snip (translated):
    "I had talks with Osorio, I talked to Osorio and everything. The truth, as a good coach I respect, but what we talked about did not convince me, "revealed Gonzalez in an exclusive talk with ESPN.
    "It was a lack of opportunity. As a young goalkeeper, even to go to train and see how everything is with the senior team and start to pick up pace, "he said.
    "I think there may have been things that would have forced me to stay in Mexico, with the Mexico Team. Soccer is like this, sometimes you have to make decisions for your future and the United States opened the door and is giving me the opportunity, "he revealed.
    Unlike that, when he spoke with Bruce Arena, strategist of the representative of the Bars and Stars, he saw that his future was more encouraging with them and that is why he chose his country of birth.
    "From the very first moment, since (Jürgen) Klinsmann was here, the United States opened the doors saying that they were well interested in me. As a player you want to be in a place where you are being valued, "he said.

deuteronomy, OWN(yewu)ED, ayers and 5 others repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so the question is why didn't Mexico value him?

21. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2247 ChuckMe92, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    1) Too young for their liking; they have consistently preferred veterans in goal
    2) Plays in MLS
    Edit: a possible third reason that Mexico would never say out loud -- they'll almost always tend to value Mexicans over Mexican-Americans

22. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Osario is an idiot and doesn't know what a good keeper even looks like. Besides have you seen that jack ass on the sidelines. Who the heck would want to play for that jerk. So glad FIFA suspended him six matches for his tirades at the Confed Cup. Flat embassinng and its a dang good thing I wasn't the fourth official in the Portugal match. I would have have a very hard time when he was screeming directly in my ear to not deck his ass. And that would have been only the second time in my life when I threw a punch at somebody...that's who bad it was.

LouisianaViking07/09 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is pretty astonishing how Osorio let Jesse fall into our hands. The posters who are unbiased on BSMX (the ones who aren't saying "you pocho, we don't need you") rate Jesse higher than Lajud or Gudino, and are unhappy at Osorio for allowing him to walk. Lajud is decent and will be part of El Tri's future, but those particular posters think Jesse is more special, for what he's doing at his age. Gudino hasn't done anything in the Portuguese first division beyond struggle mightily on a loan spell. I remember one post that said Jesse has Bundesliga potential if he wants to move abroad. The only young goalkeeper Mexico has right now who I think is bona-fide good is Abraham Romero, who was poached from our DA and YNT system.

We have a 22-year-old starting for a UEFA CL club, four young-ish guys excluding Jesse who are starting in MLS, three under-20s who are on reserves/U23s of big Euro clubs (two, Klinsmann and Austin, are with the first team in preseason), two under-17s who are in the academies of big Euro clubs, one under-17 who apparently just signed in MLS. We also have an additional host of promising YNT keepers from the DA, NCAA, and others. And we were still able to convince Jesse to go with us.

TxEx, LouisianaViking07/09 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timmy with an excellent performance vs. Costa Rica. What a great comeback he's had since the November injury.

Heist, LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.