US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part II

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by giffenbone, Nov 7, 2011.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Godspeed Hamid

Winoman repped this.
  2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor is he's signing in Denmark which isn't particularly impressive

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I believe Bingham also had interest from Denmark.

:cry:

4. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Lots of NT keepers in the Danish Superliga, so why not also an American ? ...

But I find it a bit strange if FC Midtjylland are looking for a new keeper ... they made a keeper swap deal with Lyngby this summer, so they recently got Jesper Hansen, who is a fairly solid keeper :
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/jesper-hansen/profil/spieler/22860

... a few years back FCM sold Jonas Lössl who is now a regular starter for Huddersfield, they also sold their keeper Jakob Haugaard to Stoke City back in 2015 ... and they are well connected to English football through Brentford owner Matthew Benham who is also the majority shareholder at FC Midtjylland,

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    But then again, you're not easily impressed. Denmark is a fine place to start. Assuming Hamid holds up physically - he turns 27 next month - he's got many years left in his career. If he plays well in Denmark, he'll move up - at least once, and perhaps twice. If he doesn't play well, he won't. Pretty simple.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I presume the move to the Danish club was made with the knowledge he'd be an automatic starter. Hopefully 2 years there and he can get a move to a Germany or PL (if he has the NT caps).

I was hoping for Belgium or Netherlands or Germany though.

7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Hamid was offered lots of money to stay in MLS I believe ? ... so I suspect that his wages are very high for a keeper that is ? ... so if he is going to FCM I suspect it's Matthew Benham who is behind this move ... it could be that he actually had Brentford in mind for him, but they are not doing all too well in the Championship or financially, so FCM then would be the better option right now.

8. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A typical life . . .

[​IMG]

What we have planned for Bill Hamid . . .

[​IMG]

mike4066 repped this.
  9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing against Denmark it's just a bit of a sideways move. Talent always wins out in the end though.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    The only positive would be if his club wins the league and gets CL or EL football next Fall. And a positive performance in the group stage might help get him a nice move for say summer 2019 or summer 2020.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean if he gets the starting job and does well he'll / we'll be fine. I don't think Belgium is a step up at all. Holland only marginally so

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    if he makes a move to a Danish club and isn't starting, then that'd be terrible. Being no.2 at a Bundesliga club would be preferable.

I figure he must be an automatic starter.

13. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Unlike MLS, there are plenty of foreign NT keepers in the Danish Superliga ... also keepers who are going to the WC or are in the present European WC play-off's ... ...So I can see why an MLS keeper of NT quality also would find the Danish Superliga interesting ...

14. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    So you're saying that we won't be happy with Hamid until he defeats the Hulk?

deuteronomy repped this.
  15. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    If his wages are as high as you could suspect, then he is surely not going to Midtjyllland just to warm the bench ... that would be unthinkable ...

16. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Players have to go where they are wanted. Maybe he wants to try Europe and this is the best offer he's got and he is either fine with it or hopes he can progress on to another league after he gets established. It's all well and good to say players should go to this league or that, but they have to go where they are offered a job first of all.

Ceres repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how much do keepers earn in Denmark, how much are the highest earners making? I'd figure highest paid must be over at FC Copenhagen right?

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wonder what happened to the interest from Frankfurt

19. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    FC Købehavn got 19 players who all earn around $500k a year or more ... 1st keepers at the other Superliga clubs typically earn somewhere between $160k to $320k a year ... and then they will also get a sign-on fee ... which in this case could be more than usual, considering that they will be getting him as a free agent when his contract expire...

20. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Former Brøndby keeper Lukas Hradecky did not leave Frankfurt after all ... and then they also had signed the German keeper Jan Zimmermann ...

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so was Lukas set to leave in January or summer? Damn shame. Would have been a good spot for Hamid, though moves to Europe during the winter never seem to work all that well for Yanks

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Frittered?

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Played as a striker until age 10. Best US keeper I've seen with his feet. We need more like this. Its embarrassing to our NT program that the best US keeper with his feet is a 17 year old. Howard, Guzan, Hamid, Horvath, Gonzalez, Steffen all these guys are/were good shot stoppers, we've had very few keepers who were even average with their feet for world football standards.

24. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know he is going to make more money? He could be taking a pay cut just to get out of DC like a fellow former United player, Perry Kitchen.

25. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Rimando seems to be better with his feet than plenty of NT field players.