US flag for 9/10

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kryptonite, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had illusions of grandeur in the past, but we pulled the jersey flag off.

Anyway, we have a home game on 9/10. I was at the greek festival, and they have a massive US flag. I'm bad judging sizes, but they had it hanging vertically (stripes going up and down) and the flag must have been 20 feet top to bottom.

So, yesterday at the game, I talked to one of the Crew staff about them borrowing the flag for us. I was directed to someone else, who's name I forgot.

I think it would be appropriate for the occasion to raise the US flag above our heads as the teams come on to the field for the Open Cup game.

JM, you wanna be in charge or should I make the phone call down to the Crew? The game is next Tuesday, and with monday off for holiday, time is of the essence.

If it's a good idea, I can call on Tuesday, get the guy's name and pass it along.

2. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    That wouldn't be a bad idea. What size is it?

3. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Get the name ASAP, the more who call and request, the better.

What about car dealerships? They usually have massive flags. The Diamond Celler(sp?) on sawmill had a huge one, I remember...

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bailey8,

car dealerships aren't a bad idea, but I'm within walking distance of the Greek Church. If I take it home after the game, I can easily take it back on the 11th. I'd just like crew management to make the calls since they have more authority than I do. See what i'm saying??

Eggy,

Like I said, this flag had to be at least 20 feet top to bottom when hanging vertically.

i'll start making calls on Tuesday.

The tricky part is, if we get it, we must return it in the exact condition we got it in. If we borrow it once, and return it in likewise condition, perhaps they'll let us borrow it again. bla bla bla...

I'm saying we put it up for the player's entrance, and then don't mess with it for the rest of the evening.
    I'm wondering if they have a box to store it in... hmmm....

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i emailed micah dickerson (my former account manager) and will call him on Tuesday to follow up unless JM wants to take control of this project.

6. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Peter it seems you are trying to push it "JM's" way. You already got all the facts, you organize it. JM has plenty to do as it is.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good deal.

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have called the crew office and scott debolt has been notified.

I have also called the Greek Church (home of flag) and the woman who answered the phone didn't know if it could be rented or borrowed, but said she'd look into it and call me back.

9. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    are we gonna do a flag for the nation of every country that lost someone in the 9/11 attacks as well?

10. 3stripe

3stripe Member

Indy Eleven
    Oct 14, 2001
    Brickyard Battalion
    is the flag idea related to 9/11? i thought it was just to show support for two mls teams advancing in the open cup....

11. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    *shrug*

i was just trying to be difficult :(

12. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn Swede's are nothing but trouble, just ask the Norwegians. As for the US flag, I thought the whole point was to be patriotic the night before 9-11. I didn't think it had anything to do with it being a USOC match.

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly the point, KK.

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    i know own-goal has over 4000 posts, but this may be the best.

15. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Lefty bastards.

16. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So how's it coming around?

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scott DeBolt says that US Soccer is bringing a flag down that's 30x60... I don't know if that's the famous "Big Ass Flag" from NJ Brigade or not, but anyway..

He's unsure what they're gonna do with it. I said we could put it above our heads similar to the Jersey Flag as the teams come on the field which was my original intention.

Of course, that all depends how many people we can get it 137. If we don't have enough, we can always space out in 137, then regroup for the game. If we still don't have enough, we'd have to go to plan B.

Then he asked me about Sunday, and I told him not to even bother.

18. 3stripe

3stripe Member

Indy Eleven
    Oct 14, 2001
    Brickyard Battalion
    i found it amusing as well.
    hey hang, maybe you can grow your beard out in honor of 9/11?

19. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    krypto, it may be the flag that's often used on the field during cermonies and such. I'm not sure if the old big ass flag has been accepted by US Soccer for the Hall of Fame, or not?

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, i don't know what flag.. all i know is US Soccer is bringing a 30x60 foot flag.

So yeah, it's probably their "ceremony flag"

Another idea I have is rather than raising it for the entrance, raise it for the national anthem. We could get neil to say "and now please rise for the national anthem" and during that point, we'd put it up.

In fact, that's actually better.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so i'm about to call scott later on and try and secure the flag for 137's use.

so speak now, or forever hold your peace.

22. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    seriously though. i think its kinda tacky.

of course, i also thought the cross they put up at the WTC site is tacky as well. where is the star of david? how bout that star and crecent moon? a buddah? christian americans wernt the only ones to die, and i think this needs to be recognized and realised.

23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, i see what you mean. If you're gonna honor dead people, you should honor all countries who lost people.

From what Scott said on the phone, it sounded like US Soccer would be bringing a flag. I'm just asking do we want to raise it or should it be done on the field?