US favored to land 2003 Confed Cup and 2014 World Cup?!?!

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Nermalthecat, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re the "Money Angle"

No, no, no, no, no...:eek:

You got it wrong...

Brazil= NY Yankees
    US = Minnesota Twins

Rangers...cheese, give us a little credit...;)

2. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Well, fans started booing Norway for their ultra-direct, unimaginitive, and boring tactics so I think there's something to be said about the US fans.

I was at the Germany/Bolivia match in '94, and the atmosphere was pretty amazing for me anyway, especially considering it was a pretty hot day in Chicago. Plenty of Germans and Bolivians, and I'd have to think any neutrals there were pretty excited to be watching the WC.

3. Foxhound

Foxhound Red Card

Jun 15, 2000
    It is a myth that every ground was sold out in 94. It just looked that way because Americans are so fat one person takes up two seats. There was only 45,000 for the final.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foxhound, on a related note...your teeth suck.

5. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Though I would like to see games in the U.S., I wonder if anybody remembers the protests from the players themselves that it was insane for them to be playing during the 95-105 F degree weather throughout the month, with long cross country flights that made it even worse.

Couple in the fact that if you do try to make the temperature more comfortable for the players (ie. night games) in the U.S., television markets in Europe-which means revenues from lucrative European T.V. deals to Fifa- would not be at their most profitable.

Just things to consider when the Selection Committee has to come to its decision....So far, I'd say the countries who will put in a bid for 2014 will be Brazil, U.S., Australia, and if one were to take it seriously from the latest World Soccer, even China. (now if you want Fifa to salivate over a billion people going nuts over the game and buying its products, coupled in with the notion that they want to expand the game, look no further).

And as far as saying "Nobody does it better that the U.S.", i've went to France 98 and Japon/Korea 2002, and though all three were organized just fine, the latter two had much much more atmosphere than in the states. (...at least when i was in RFK, Foxborro and Giants Stadium). Just more of a fun carnival atmosphere when its in another part of the world. But hey, like i said before, if the games come here, I'll buy a ticket or two...or ten....

6. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

WHAT A DOUCHEBAG!!! Piss off, troll.

7. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Well, lets think about it. Italy v. Ireland in a city where Irish-Americans and Italian-Americans are the two most predominant groups. Of course the atmosphere would be amazing, it's the cops versus the mob. =)

8. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    I attended the World Club Championship in 2000 which was supposed to be a "try-out" for Brazil getting another World Cup bid. Any FIFA representitves there were less than impressed.

Typical for the tournament, when the English national anthem was played prior to the ManU vs. Necaxa match (at Maracana), not only did the Brazilians boo, they flung every swear word in the English language that they knew at the English fans.

Couple the above with the fact that the stadia are either too small, or way too old, there is no way that Brazil deserves to host in 2014.

9. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    superdave

VS...what is Brazil's stadium situation? Can they host a 32 team World Cup currently? If not (and I'm assuming not) how many venues will they have to build?

Im not sure on their current Stadium situation, i am certain however that they have enough adequate facilities to Host a World Cup..

My feeling is, if a nation like Japan and SoKo made a dumb economic decision to host 1/2 a World Cup, it's probably a dumb economic decision for Brazil. But they may have alot more suitable venues than I think.

If Brazil made a bid to host the Cup its because they have sponsers ect lined up. This has been getting planed since France 98, at that point Brazil wanted to co-Host with Argentina but Grondona (AFA president) turned the idea down.

Also, I would think Europe would be reluctant to play there. I've seen people say that FIFA handed Germany the World Cup by putting it there in 2006. Imagine what people would say about Brazil!!

Conmebol has agreed to back up Brazil as candidate for the 2014 World Cup. That and Brazil still has one of thee most Influential people in football, João Havelange who can make all of this posible. If FIFA abides by its World Cup rotation rules then South America should be the no.1 candidate for 2014.

10. coach227

coach227 New Member

Jun 28, 2000
    Woodstock, IL
    Don't the stadiums for the WC have to be all-seater? Aren't Maracana and others still terraces?

11. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    No they bite. ;)

12. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Don't forget that this decision has to be made in 2008, just six years from now. If South America doesn't get it economical situation in order by then, tough luck.

Also, VS, I notice you don't mention the chaotic state of the Brazilian league. Why not?

Mexico has a much better shot at 2014 than Brazil. Really, Mexico and the US are the only two countries in the Americas right now that have the numbers, the passion, the recent success. Argentina and Brazil are in the tank economically. They won't recover in six years.

13. Pirrip

Pirrip New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Saskatchewan
    Recent success was not a criteria for 1994 nor 2002. Why should it be for 2014?

14. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think that one of the major concerns is going to have to be security. As far as security i dont think that brazil has the money or organizational ability to do this. I would prefer a Mexico Europe, or Oceania. But of course US is my pick. That is one other reason why i cant trust the African Nations hosting the World cup.

15. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I HOPE we get both events.

Regardless of public opinion, soccer is a BIGTIME event in the States & both events would be BIG moneymakers IMHO.

Just hope they play some of the Confed Cup games on the West Coast, as that's we I'll be living VERY soon, as well as the WC in 2014!!!

16. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me. I meant to say that the West Coast is where I'll be living very soon.

Guess when you've been drinking (just a bit....), you lose some of your motor skills).

17. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    That was a direct reaction to the way it was perceived that Man U acted during their entire trip.

While the players from the other teams, including Real Madrid, took time to spend with the fans, go to the beach, etc - Man U was seen as complaining about their precious FA Cup, insulting the populace with the insurance policies against being kidnapped, and having about 5 times the security necessary to hide themselves away from everything to do with the tournament except actually play in the games. And well, they didn't do much of that either. The so easily quoteable mouths of Keane, Ferguson, and a then-immature Beckham did not help at all.

Just so you know, all of the Flamengo fans, which are the most populous in Rio and in all of Brasil, were set to back Man U all the way to the title; especially against rivals Vasco and Corinthians. But all of that changed with the perception of the English arrogance and disrespect the Brazilian media and people felt had taken place.

Overall, the culture in Brasil has fairly close ties to England, having so many of their language schools teaching 'European English', and many of their cultural heroes being exiled to England during the 60's. Their overall attitude towards England is positive, so I wouldn't accept the reaction from an average football fan at the Maracana to be indicative of the country's attitude.

However, one thing I will agree is that Brasil may have the stadia to host a Cup - Maracana, Morumbi, Castelao (Fortaleza), and the stadia in Porto Alegre and Brasilia all ready for games now. But in my opinion, they don't have the infrastructure or funds to support the tournament.

I was a little shocked to see such apathy from the fans when a Brazilian team wasn't playing in the touranament also. I don't expect them to come out in numbers to watch Necaxa or south Melbourne, but any game with Man U or Real Madrid should have been sold out.

I agree South America should host one soon, but the USA has a much better chance of winning it, if all economic and cultural projections 12 years from now are status quo.