US-Curaçao, post game

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Jun 30, 2019.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    neither fullback did anything in the attack; Ream because he’s really a 3rd CB, Lima because he sucked. Throw in Bradley, and we tried to score using only 5 players ever.

Our off the all movement is not that of a team trying to score, but a team trying to be in good position when we lose the ball.

TxEx, juveeer, SamsArmySam and 19 others repped this.
  2. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won with 3 players on the field.

Are we going to 1-0 our way into the final?

sXeWesley repped this.
  3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was craptastic!

aarond23, lmorin, sakibomb523 and 13 others repped this.
  4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Underwhelming win

aarond23, Marius Tresor, kennytt and 5 others repped this.
  5. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point can we just switch out Zardes for a cardboard cutout of a soccer player? At least the cardboard cutout could reliably execute a wall pass.

Deadtigers, pirozhok, ttrevett and 5 others repped this.
  6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in the back of the players' and coaching staff's minds was that they play Jamaica in 3 days. Not much rest. Get the job done with as little energy expended. A bit too close for my taste, but they got the job done.

Deadtigers and Dr. Gamera repped this.
  7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The thing I found most shocking was the lackadaisical pressing when Curacao had the ball in its half. Either put some effort into the pressing or back off 20 yards defensively to open up space when Curacao push forward.

rlrcpa, juveeer, Mario Balotelli and 4 others repped this.
  8. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    And to think, people paid to attend and watch that shit show.

Deadtigers, Ruud11, ttrevett and 9 others repped this.
  9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I agree, but you need to take control a little more firmly in a match before you can coast. Very strange, disappointing match for the US IMO.

Namdynamo, wsmaugham, TOAzer and 4 others repped this.
  10. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    We might.

Someone who's more familiar with Gregg from his Columbus days - was he known for playing somewhat conservative and defensive? That kind of approach can lead to some tight results.

I think the USA was still in control for much of the game. In their third and in our third - we were making chances, and they were mostly not able to do much inside our own box.

The middle third ... well, that was a bit concerning.

11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Literally nothing good to say about our current national team other then, I guess, to acknowledge they earn the required result.

Just less then mediocre all the way around.

Very few ideas.

12. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feelingl like Gregg thinks this is our best team...

Bradley was OK, but his transition play is gone. And it's not coming back.

I just want to see Adams and McKennie as dual 8's in the midfield.

13. ClappinJonny99

Borussia Dortmund, Liverpool, DC United
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    Embarrassing. We go from beating and tying teams like Portugal, England, Czech Republic, Italy, Ghana, and Germany in the World Cup to being not just amongst Concacaf teams, but amongst the Caribbean nations. We are going to get steamrolled by Mexico if we even get there.

aarond23, sakibomb523, fragmag and 8 others repped this.
  14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    This team will not get a single road result in qualifying. They aren’t good, and they aren’t coached well enough to make up for the fact that they aren’t good.

TxEx, Deadtigers, juveeer and 12 others repped this.
  15. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final is 7 days from today, and if we win none of this will matter. This was a great way to kill any positive momentum that we've built though.

Mostly crap all around. The goal was beautiful, Steffen was sloppy but did come up with saves when he needed to, and I'll say from a purely defensive standpoint, Tim Ream had his best NT game in a long time IMO. That's it for positives though

A lot has been made about Curacao having some talent, and they do, but this team was completely outplayed in every game during the group stage and were extremely lucky to get here. This was not an away qualifier where we struggle to break a bunker and eek out an ugly win. This was a home game where we were on the back foot the entire second half and had to hold on for dear life. to close this out

Really annoying performance that's going to leave me nervous about Jamaica

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gold Cup really needs to go to 8 teams. I don’t think it does the tournament or the team for the US to sleepwalk into the semi-finals.

I mean, seriously, we made Curacao look like a legitimate soccer nation.

17. Method

Method Member

United States
    Aug 20, 2018
    Didn't Mexico barely win in penalties?

Gacm32, kennytt and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  18. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Part of me thinks that the team was looking ahead.

That being said, that was an awful game from pretty much everybody not named Pulisic. Zimmerman was okay, and when Arriola got a chance to do something he wasnt awful.

But the rest? Boyd surprisingly awful. McKennie had his goal but he was awful. Zardes needs the game to be open to be useful in build up play when the game isnt open he is awful.

Take a few days to crap on this performance but it doesnt mean anything one way or the other for the rest of the tournament

tomásbernal, Gacm32 and 2in10 repped this.
  19. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell, did we get outplayed by Curaçao?

onefineesq, sakibomb523, kennytt and 3 others repped this.
  20. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    That was really sad...

1. What the hell was Berhalter's logic tonight? Zardes as a hold-up 9? He doesn't do that! Never subbing on Altidore, who does? 1 meaningful sub? I don't get it, man. That was a poorly managed game.

2. Before I rail too much, props to Steffen. One gaffe with his feet (recurring issue...) but otherwise up to every test, including one tremendous one.

3. I think Pulisic has to be better. Don't get me wrong: he should have had a goal (excellent save from CUW) and his ability to pick out a pass at the far post is unrivaled and was the difference. But you expect a player like him to put the game away in the 2nd half, and he wasn't nearly dynamic enough. I'd also argue that he had 2 shots from 20 yards -- one entirely uncontested, one about to be closed down but open shooting window -- where he couldn't put the ball on frame. A player of his quality has to do better.

4. Rough go for BS favorite Tyler Boyd. Don't get me wrong: he's still a starter in my book. And he still presented a threat down the wing. But just lost possession entirely too often. Deserved the sub out.

5. Troubling, though, to see Pulisic and Boyd as the aforementioned wings stressing CUW down the wings and de-compacting that backline ... and the US having no central threat to show for it. Zardes was handed a dream matchup centrally and played the ball back 20 yards nearly every touch. Just horrible.

6. Michael Bradley won't get credit for some of his passes tonight, which were excellent. But he will rightly get slaughtered for his defensive work, which was absolutely wretched. Dude has no lateral agility anymore. Sidestep around him all day. I bet half of BS could buy a shooting window on him right now. Problem is he's still preferable to Trapp...

7. I thought it was a rough night for McKennie. Lost possession entirely too much and seems a step slow in his thought process in a national uni. Had a decent enough first half, but second half wasn't nearly good enough.

8. Thought the backline was actually OK. Nick Lima stood out as most solid. I don't know. No real brilliance here. Just a lot of discipline required when there was no central midfield to speak of ahead of them...

9. ...which Jamaica will annihilate, btw, even if this isn't Reggae Boyz past. The disconnect between the front and backlines of USMNT is alarming. There are, like, 2 friggin' players who take space on this whole team. It's maddening.

zhe fulano, juveeer, Geneva and 9 others repped this.
  21. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost decided to get tickets, since Philly isn't far for me. Glad I didn't waste the money.

Very hard to cheer for that performance. Glad they won, but Berhalter needs to do something different vs Jamaica.

22. ClappinJonny99

Borussia Dortmund, Liverpool, DC United
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    Against Costa Rica. Both of those teams played great, I watched the whole game. Costa Rica is the best team in our region outside the US and Mexico

jackiesdad, xbhaskarx, TrueCrew and 7 others repped this.
  23. Marrked

Marrked Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Not sure why people are surprised. This happens every Gold Cup. It's not like we slaughter every nation we face every single 2 years.

But go ahead with your talking points. That's why we're here after all.

7211 repped this.
  24. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Curacao with 15 shots and 5 on goal, and 53% possession.

USA with ... 10 shots and 3 on goal.

That's worrisome. Second half - it did look a bit like we were playing to defend.

If that was the plan - Zardes definitely was the wrong man to rely on to drive a quick counter out of a defensive block.

onefineesq and Winoman repped this.
  25. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were better than us, certainly. Deserved extra time at least

26. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    This was pretty terrible almost entirely across the board. Kudos to Steffen, Ream and most of the game for Zimmerman.

Everyone else was subpar to their talent. People will credit Pulisic and McKennie, but neither were great, and I thought aside from 3-4 runs, McKennie was terrible. Inactive, which is terrible for an 8.

This is also the first game that I thought Berhalter made insufficient adjustments in this Gold Cup. Too many attackers stayed high and no one came back to really help beat the press, which should have been doable.

The press was ... I have no idea what the idea was because the midfield laid off too far, making it too easy to break through.

Zardes was absolutely terrible, much like Guyana. He killed off multiple counterattacks, provided no hold up outlet against the press, and lost the ball almost every time when he was an outlet against the press. I have no idea why Jozy didn't play.

Other players didn't help -- Boyd, McKennie, Arriola and Pulisic were all subpar in receiving the ball and breaking the press. But Zardes was a complete zero.

EDIT: Thought Lima was pretty okay as well.