US - Columbia @ PPL Park - 10/12

Discussion in 'Philadelphia, PA' started by sully127, Aug 29, 2010.

1. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USMNT is once again come back to the birthplace of our nation to take on Columbia in the picturesque PPL Park. Can't wait.

2. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Philadelphia have a high concentration of Colombians? If so, I imagine US fans will be outnumbered like they usually are against Latin teams.

3. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I'm aware of, but I'm sure many will travel for it.

4. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    The 2000 Census estimated the Philadelphia Colombian population at 2,414. Don't know if that has increased much in the last ten years.
    http://www.hsp.org/files/latinophiladelphiaataglance.pdf

5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium seats 18K

With priority going to Union season ticket holders and supporters groups, the US shouldn't be outnumbered.

6. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sure about this? I'm a STH in the SS, but the ONLY thing I've heard so far is that AO is supposed to be offering tickets today. Since we only seat 18,500, I want to be on the ball with getting the them, but there's been no news since the announcement (which has me wondering if they jumped the gun by announcing during their telecast last night).

7. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sully,

Columbia is a university in NYC.
    The nation in South America is Colombia.

I'm sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine.
    And, I'm not even Colombian.

8. alswi

alswi New Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm just glad bob got another 4 years so he can take ricardo clark to brazil and further delay the progress of us soccer until 2014 and beyond

9. soccercw888

soccercw888 Member

May 1, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Cant wait to have you all come see our stadium. The surroundings aren't anything to write home about but the park itself is top

10. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    very excited about seeing the new park. how is transportation to and from? im coming from NYC and weighing different options?

11. soccercw888

soccercw888 Member

May 1, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

Are you driving? Traffic and and out of the place itself is actually flowing VERY nicely compared to the start. They are still working out the kinks but its not terrible. I really think your only option is driving...trains won't take you there fluidly

12. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    was weighing options including a shared bus, renting a car, taking amtrak...looks like ill take the bus with a group from NYC

13. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got my tickets from AO... they're in the same section as my Union seats (138), just 5 rows farther up.

Has anyone from AO Philly coordinated with the folks who bring the giant US flag? I'm just thinking that we typically place that flag at the front of the section and pull it back to cover us. But in PPL park there is a really perfect location for that sort of large tifo right behind the last row. That might be a better spot for it, but the guys who want to coordinate the proper storage and deployment of that flag would need to know that ahead of time.

Also, for those who haven't seen it, here is the roster that has been announced for upcoming friendlies US v Poland and Colombia.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION

GOALKEEPERS (2): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton)

DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Étienne), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Eric Lichaj (Aston Villa), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Michael Parkhurst (FC Nordsjaelland), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro), Michael Bradley (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Bolton Wanderers), Jermaine Jones (FC Schalke), Brek Shea (FC Dallas)

FORWARDS (3): Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Eddie Johnson (Fulham)

(source)