US AT Cuba - how to get a visa and tickets

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by bshredder, Nov 25, 2007.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Cant you slip the Jamaican dudes $100 bill to not stamp your passport?

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Wow.... I guess no one figures trips to Barbados, Trinidad or Guatemala are worth the time and trouble. What a bunch of losers.

3. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    Was this a joke? Pending work obligations, i plan to hit them all. As always, I'm interested in meeting up with all of those who are not douchebags.

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Just a commentary on how, as someone else said, people are coming out of the woodwork to go to Cuba, but no one seems to be interested in trips to the other places we have to play.

Sorry, rksegha, I won't be seeing you in strange and exotic locales again as $12,000 for school, a bigger mortgage and (hopefully) another kid will eat up all the cash. Just occasionally in La Norte when you make the trip down. :)

5. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    yeah, i'm not certain that people will not travel to the other places. i think part of it is that the dynamics of going to cuba create a want to discuss and plan far in advance.

I'll leave it here b/c this is a thread about going to Cuba, but going to away matches is a pretty awesome experience. Because soccer is truly more than a sport in almost all of the countries we play against, going for a match allows you to connect with the locals over something they are passionate about and which is ingrained in their culture. Americans have it well in this regard b/c most locals will be enamored with you simply for the fact that you are a big enough fan to care about something they care about (when they generally think you, as an American, don't give a siht about them otherwise).

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you slip to the American dudes who work for the Department of Homeland Security who see you on tv during the game.

I guess one advantage of heading to Cuba illegally - if you get caught, Gitmo isn't that far away. :D

7. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to go to all the away games, but I can't afford it this cycle. However, if I could afford it right now, there's no way I'd even attempt going to Cuba. Sure, I'd love to go there, but I know the reality of the embargo. Unless you have family or "officially" sanctioned business, going to Cuba is pretty stupid and risky.

8. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Agreed. I am slightly concerned that some people in this thread see going to Cuba as a trip with an extra hurdle or two.

Anyways, I plan on being in Azteca for the WCQ, and hope to go to Costa Rica as well. If Canada makes it to the hex, I plan on making it to Toronto as well.

9. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nice language from a moderator no less.

10. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Anybody here can pick up and go tomorrow (provided they have a passport) to Barbados, Guetemala or T [but not the &T... nobody wants to there ;) ].

Not so w/ Cuba.

You're not factoring in the allure of something that is prohibited.

Hell. Even the players focused immediately on Cuba precisely b/c of the historical and political significance.

Calling somebody a "loser" for being interested in being a part of history isn't very bright, Sachin. Very shallow thinking. You're smarter than that.

11. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    US embargo blocks Cuban participation in a cricket tournament IN ANOTHER COUNTRY!!!

For a cricket tournament to be played in Antigua... i.e.... not in the US of A... the US Treasury has prohibited the American organizer and the American team from engaging in "activities" w/ Cuban entities.

I know we're not supposed to get political, but seriously... this embargo is so ridiculous and quixotic. I just hope that more and more ppl realize just how stupid it is.

12. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Yes... the embargo sucks... but it is the law.

The .cu link didnt work for me. That is a Cuban site, I would guess? If the link mentions mearly 'activity', then it isn't exactly accurate. It is 'commerical activity' (the tounament is awarding US$1,960,000 in prize money) which is the problem.

Also, note that the 'American team' (USACA - United States of America Cricket Association)was never to be included in the tournament. The United Stats Virgin Islands (USVI Cricket Association) are in the tounament.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=cricket&id=3160135
    The competition is backed by U.S businessman Allen Stanford and under the terms of the U.S embargo against Cuba, Americans must ask for special permission to engage in commercial activity with Cuban entities.

http://www.stanford2020.com/tournament.php
    The uniqueness of the Stanford 20/20 lies in the prize money that is awarded throughout the Tournament. Sir Allen is adamant in his belief that excellence should be rewarded and the prize structure for the competition reflects this. The Stanford 20/20 has the largest purse of any domestic cricket Tournament in the world.

13. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    I'm pretty sure that early September is also the start of hurricane season?

Forget about the US government embargo.

My wife has an embargo against me going to a place where there are beach resorts a couple hours away where European girls sunbathe topless.

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    wouldn't be an issue if the puritanical Americans just joined their fellow Europeans...

My former college professor used to travel to Cuba all the time for educational purposes..... every time he came back to the states he would have to write a paper to the us gov stating how bad Cuba is. what a crock of sh$t.

15. DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What's the latest on this?

Are you still planning on doing this, or is this idea dead?

16. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    From the State Department...

Amateur or semi-professional athletes or teams traveling to participate in Cuba in an athletic competition held under the auspices of the relevant international sports federation. The athletes must have been selected for the competition by the relevant U.S. sports federation, and the competition must be one that is open for attendance, and in relevant situations participation, by the Cuban people.

Looks like you would need the blessing of U.S. Soccer to have a chance. I wouldn't hold my breath.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I've been hearing the same things.

18. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    Most people do. American businesses certainly do. But as long as there is a possibility that lifting the embargo may disaffect a certain constituency in Florida, it will remain in effect.

Beautiful, huh? American politicians afraid to do the right thing because they might tick off a bunch of immigrant billionaires.

19. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    I know, I know...the thread that just won't die.:D

I read the following on Yahoo today:
    Ex-CIA agent Philip Agee dead in Cuba
    I read the article than I looked at his picture.....then I looked at his shirt...check out the shirt!

[​IMG]

This a sign! Cuba here we come (legally of course)!!!:)

20. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'd love to go, I can think of better ways to get my security clearance revoked.

21. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    It is sickening that in 2008, soccer fans in America won't be able to travel to a country to watch their team play. this is so god damn rediculious.

22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    You could argue that its even more sickening that American soccer fans WON'T travel to a country they are able to visit to watch their team play.

23. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    Fixed your post.

24. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    Are you gonna call us "losers" again?