US AT Cuba - how to get a visa and tickets

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by bshredder, Nov 25, 2007.

1. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
  2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better to ask the US Treasury Department.

3. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    Is he from Dallas?

4. salchipapa619

salchipapa619 New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    SoCal
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gambling, drugs and prostitution run by Batista's henchmen and the mafiosos currently dying off in Miami... not exactly a good form of "tourism".

Prostitution is still very much alive there!

5. salchipapa619

salchipapa619 New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    SoCal
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. Well, you go and risk getting caught, then, if you think it's the same thing as a speeding ticket. No skin off my nose.

But I won't help people break laws or tell them that I think Cuba is a good place to visit.

7. salchipapa619

salchipapa619 New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    SoCal
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Travel to Cuba through Tijuana, Mexico

Cross the border by car or walk to catch a cab to Airport.

You fly from Tijuana to Monterrey. From Monterrey to Cuba. And Vice Versa.

When you drive back or walk back to USA from Tijuana, it so easy. No need for passport because you can still use birth certificate with ID. Those of you who have crossed that border, know they have NO SPIES to see where you have been. So many people do this and everyone I know that has gone to Cuba this way, has never been caught. So many of you are paranoid.

No Government official will look for you on TV either. Sunglasses and a hat people!!!!

Who wants to GO!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Please leave the political stuff out of this soccer forum!!!!

Finally, my girlfriend's first trip using her passport ever......Guess where? And she is twenty!

So many of you hear sound like the media trying to create fear in those that want to go there. So typical of those who live in the USA and so typical of those who have not seen much of the world!

8. salchipapa619

salchipapa619 New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    SoCal
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know if it is good or not? I am sure you buy things from China. Same stuff, but look different and money to be made. Keep living in your oh so typical USA lifestyle of not doing anything because of fear! You may not get your head cut off here, but your state sure does kill a lot of people. GO Governor Bush!

9. BROSUF

BROSUF Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always consult BigSoccer for the best advise.........

10. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, who doesn't?

11. That's probably wise. This salchipapa619 n00b just seems desperate for me to say a Cuba trip is a good idea, even to the point of ridiculing me when I won't.

Oh well ...

But if you want any advice on a MEX, TRI, or JAM trip ... don't look for it here!

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    This is so stupid. Democracy ....... yea right.

13. polak metro

polak metro New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    i am kind of shocked the espn2 will show the usa-cuba game from cuba live in september

14. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oh, yeah. I'm very aware of that.

But nowadays... everybody can be a pro!!! Regardless of race and social class!! ;)

15. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the OFAC, Journalists are allowed to go:

WHO CAN GO - The following travelers are authorized, under
    OFAC general license, to engage in travel transactions while in Cuba:
    • Journalists and supporting broadcasting or technical personnel
    (regularly employed in that capacity by a news reporting
    organization and traveling for journalistic activities).
    • Official government travelers (traveling on official business).
    • Members of international organizations of which the United States
    is also a member (traveling on official business).
    • Full-time professionals whose travel transactions are directly
    related to professional research in their professional areas,
    provided that their research 1) is of a noncommercial,
    academic nature; 2) comprises a full work schedule in Cuba;
    and 3) has a substantial likelihood of public dissemination.
    • Full-time professionals whose travel transactions are directly
    related to attendance at professional meetings or conferences
    in Cuba organized by an international professional organization,
    institution, or association hat regularly sponsors such meetings
    or conferences in other countries. The organization, institution,
    or association sponsoring the meeting or conference may not
    be headquartered in the United States unless it has been
    specifically licensed to sponsor the meeting. The purpose of
    the meeting or conference cannot be the promotion of tourism
    in Cuba or other commercial activities involving Cuba, or to
    foster production of any bio-technological products.
    • Travelers who have received specific licenses from OFAC prior to
    going. Specific licenses are described below.

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/cuba.pdf

16. BigMo1234

BigMo1234 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Dallas wrote:
    <<The government is not prohibiting travel ... especially in the same way that Cuba, China, etc. prohibit travel. You can go to almost any place in the world, including Trinidad & Tobago and Guatemala. It is prohibiting travel to a place that is particularly dangerous for and hostile to Americans, and has been for decades. So why all the griping?>>

If you've been to Cuba, Dallas, you would know that it's not dangerous and absolutely no one is hostile to Americans. They love us and the dollars we bring, even the government. Their hostility is towards our government that won't acknowledge their sovereignty or choice of political system, has mislabeled it as a terrorist nation, and has invaded its shores and tried to overthrow and assassinate its leaders countless times over the last 45 years.

The reason people want to go to Cuba is not because it's illegal, but because it is the most beautiful island in the Caribbean, with an amazing history and culture that is the most fascinating in the Western Hemisphere. And supposedly "free" people should be allowed to travel there and legally smoke its tobacco (ask the Governor of California).

I remember a story about a US soldier coming home from a year in Iraq where he was nearly killed, but was not "free" to travel to Cuba to visit his son. Once every three years? They hate us for our "freedom"?

Cuba is safe for smart and savvy American tourists, I agree with UCLACarlos. I also agree that it this Match is probably not the best time to go, as the Customs folks will focus on nabbing at least a few who risk the fines to get to the game.

But if you make it, and visit the Plazas and the Museum of the Revolution and learn history that you weren't taught in Texas, your perspective will change forever. It is amazing to go when Fidel is still alive......but Raul will make peace with Obama soon enough, so more and more Americans will get the chance to visit legally (and turn the Island into Puerto Rico?) while Cuban-Americans will be allowed to visit relatives and send money to them freely.

17. Welcome to the boards.

1. I've been to Cuba. It's hostile.

2. Our government has had that policy since the days of Kennedy. And the last invasion attempt happened 46 years ago ... Bay of Pigs ... staying out of Cuba's affairs was part of the post-Missile Crisis agreement. Cuba is not labeled a terrorist nation.

3. Being "free," if it means "being allowed to travel to hostile nations," is incompatible with "the government should have protected me against the harm I suffered in -----." This government, for the last ~50 years - including Clinton, Carter, Johnson, and Kennedy - has opted for protecting its citizens by banning travel rather than waiting for them to get into trouble and then saving them.

4. I'm glad you like Cuba. I liked it, too. Whether or not it's the most beautiful and historic island in the Caribbean, or has the most amazing and fascinating history in the Western Hemisphere, is a matter of opinion and personal preference.

5. Maybe your story about the soldier is true, maybe it's not. Cubans don't hate us because we're free. They hate us because of ~50 years of Castro propaganda. And not even all of them hate us. But Castro is still issuing propoganda.

6. Why do you assume I'm uneducated and/or xenophobic because I live in Texas? I will guarantee you, I am better educated and traveled than you. Not that it matters ... I just wonder what kind of thinking makes you assume those things. You sound more like an episode of Family Guy than someone who's met me and/or been to Texas.

7. Obama is not president, but if he speaks the truth, generations of enmity aren't going away in, and because of, one president. I hope Cuba changes governments, and I don't care which president accomplishes it.

Finally, you've offered your opinion (and some insults) and I've offered mine. Let the readers decide. We're not going to convince each other of anything on a BS forum.

Why you felt like you had to create an account (or suckpuppet) just to tell the boards how wonderful Cuba is and Obama is or try to make me look stupid, is beyond my understanding and just a little weird.

You've really offered nothing other than your opinions (Cuba has the most amazing history in the hemisphere), your wishes (when Obama is president), and your insults (you were educated in Texas, which, BTW, is wrong). I guess that's fine, this is a "free" country and all ... but I'm not the one who comes away looking stupid.

18. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    just an FYI - http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/crt/2006/82736.htm

19. BigMo1234

BigMo1234 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    1. Please do share stories of the hostility you encountered, so those contemplating a trip on this board will know of what you speak. You would be the only one to report such a reception on the thread thus far.

2. Cuba has been on the list of terrorist nations since 1982 (thanks Ronnie), and Bush confirmed that after 9/11 and actually listed them as a member of the Axis of Evil while confirming their status as a terrorist nation. (based on what actually?). Here's just one of dozens of links to confirm:

http://www.nationalinterest.org/Article.aspx?id=15108

3. There have been assassination attempts on Castro after the Bay of Pigs, that's when all the fun really began for the CIA. Is it really necessary to post a link?

4. The travel ban does not exist to protect Americans, that's a new one and quite amusing. I've never seen the government claim that nor heard that one bandied about. The fact of the law is that they don't want US currency spent there (and that's the only "law" an American can violate in Cuba), so simple logic would indicate that the ban is part of the economic embargo and not a security issue.

5. I wasn't referencing that "Cubans hate us for our freedom" since they don't. I was mocking Bush's line about real terrorists and applying it to Americans lack of freedom to travel where they wish and visit their relatives.

6. I'm sorry you assumed I was insulting you with regards to the Texas comment. I made no contention that you're xenophobic or uneducated. My point is that US history is as full of propaganda as any other nation, and learning the other side of the story, especially of the Revolution, can be quite interesting and will not be found in schools in Texas or anywhere in the US.

And I have read and posted on Big Soccer for years, but lost my password to an old e-mail address and signed up for a new one to post here, for whatever that's worth.

20. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    What is up with this thread?

Somewhere in this thread is a LEGAL option for those wanting to go, OK? You will not be going as a spectator just to watch a soccer game.

You will be going as a participant in a sporting event, to play against a local Cuban team, which is allowed. Got it? If that isn’t good enough for you… well…. sorry.

The other option is to go illegally.
    If you don’t get caught… great, more power to you.
    If you get caught... then, pay your fine.

That pretty much should settle it, right??

Sheesh...

21. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :confused:

How so???

Unless you're trying to score drugs and get caught, you're fine. They're a little behind the times about gays, so if you're flamingly gay and prancing around like a bull in the ring (it sounds better in Spanish, "toro en plaza"... out on the prowl), you might get harassed.

And despite the revolutionary rhetoric, if you're dark black -- not cafe con leche/caramel -- you'll be ... "noticed" ... by police, but just open your mouth and you're good to go.

But aren't the above situations the norm in the vast majority of the world?

Other than that, Cuba's perfectly safe.

Cubans don't hate us.

Look. I despise the attitude that you find in oh so many places -- especially in Europe -- of [French accent] Ju stoopeede Amercaines vith your capitalist agendá are opprezing we Europeans. We have culture and ju are noTHING! [/French accent]

They hate our foreign policy, they hate our culture (yet f'ing consume it voraciously). Fine. Whatever. And I agree about certain things.

But the only place that I've been on this planet that the ppl separate en masse US Govt/foreign policy from US citizens?

Cuba.

I asked my family why that was so, and they explained to me that that phenomenon is directly linked to a form of subtle yet fierce political protest against the regime.

In other words, the ppl actively nurture that division b/c they know they're being pummeled w/ brain-washing propaganda incessantly.

I submit that you are unable to differentiate their displeasure of US foreign policy from Americans in general.

And do you know why they hate the US govt?

B/c they can't get enough to eat. So frankly, I don't blame them.

22. Like I say ... you've posted your viewpoint. I've posted mine. Let the readers decide.

23. It's not the US government's fault that Cubans don't get enough to eat. It's the Cuban government's fault. We can't shove food in their mouths, and we have every reason to believe any humanitarian program will be sorely abused (oil-for-food, etc.)

Again ... you've posted your viewpoint, I've posted mine. Let the readers decide.