News: Uruguay's AUF lashes againts Copa America and USA's futbol.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by El CHarro_NEgro...., Jun 7, 2016.

1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's rarely that crazy. But yeah... welcome to life in a big country, Uruguay.

Android Cat repped this.
  2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, one would not expect the cross country blues to show up in the opening match . . .

Fanatical Monk and FirstStar repped this.
  3. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bahahaha, shows you exactly how big a fan I am for teams 2-5.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. Maybe those are just pre-excuses for when they crash out.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I regard them as a rival rather than enemy myself.

OGx3 repped this.
  6. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    me too

exref repped this.
  7. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this combined with the fact they've had some amazing players over the years, Francescoli, Forlan, Suarez.

8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They are without doubt the most annoying country in the region. They are just impossible when they lose. Always over the top. There's also no doubt that they bring it on the field.

JJV1994 and Three and Three repped this.
  9. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Oh, they bring it.

Christina99 and Ironbound repped this.
  10. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Clint coulda broke that record against Slovenia

butters59 repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    When the rumor was that the USA wouldn't be hosting, it was the Ecuador federation that proposed to host instead. The Uruguayan federation was the one to jump in the Ecuador bandwagon immediately.

I feel they were the last ones to get convinced of having this tournament in the USA. Brazil and Argentina are full of traditionalists (I'm sort of one, to a point), but Uruguay is full of real fanatics.

12. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    If Galeano were alive, he'd get to the bottom of it all. Instead, his ashes are spinning.

eric_appleby repped this.
  13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Ps: Is it just me, or does that not look a bit like Brad Guzan there?

Revolt repped this.
  14. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    Oh, Uruguay federation complaining about something and showing no class? This is the same outfit that bitched about the Suarez biting punishment and also home to the Suarez handball on line, to name just a few. So sad to disappoint Uruguay. If would be a shame if we mistakenly played the Chilean anthem again in their next match.

15. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uruguay is totally irrelevant. Some good soccer played there, but this country is not driving any money decisions.

16. gaucho16

gaucho16 Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Well, they start off the tournament with the bumbling Americans playing the Chilean national anthem instead of theirs. This probably could not have been funnier to have happened to another country in the tournament. A country with an over blown sense of self importance in global soccer based on a distant history of success getting their anthem screwed up by a country with a rich history of having a lack of soccer sophistication with and a lingering stereotype of having a lack of geographical sophistication.

Followed by the boorish behavior of Mexican fans in their game including bottles thrown on field at their players and assault of their fans in the stands.

Three and Three and Christina99 repped this.
  17. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Uruguay can be infuriating to watch because of their poor loser/chip on shoulder style. But for a nation of three million people, with little money, surrounded by the powerhouses (Both in soccer and economically) of their region; they have always manged to punch above their weight, and with some historically great players to boot. They are actually the Country in South America that reminds me of the US the most soccerwise. They dont, and never have possessed the ball well, and have always been an excellent counter attacking team, and they play with a lot of intensity and physicality. Their antics are frustrating, but they are the little kid on the block in their region and have that chip on their shoulder. The US could learn something from their intensity, especially when playing big teams. They have no fear of playing on the big stage, sometimes to their own detriment.

Burr and Three and Three repped this.
  18. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The time zones add something to it, but Uruguay will actually log fewer air miles through four matches than the USMNT did in Brazil, because of the north-south distances in Brazil. The USMNT flew 10,188 miles, Uruguay will fly just over 7,000 miles.

cwilke1, Roger Allaway and jackiesdad repped this.
  19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uruguay, their people, are one notch below the Argies in how serious they take themselves. So when it comes to their National Football Team, well, the rest of us get statements from their AUF like this. Shocking.

Correct.
    And for Mundial two leg playoffs with a New Zealand as well. New Zealand, at home, is a tremendous task to sell tickets to. But boy howdy did the Mexicans pull that one off!

20. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair--and I've said this for a long time--, there could be a better way to schedule regional matches for groups.

I mean, the USMNT does fly from Santa Clara to Chicago to Philadelphia... that's not short on air miles.

Why can't we figure out how to schedule matches for groups that are in regional pods? That way, teams and fans can plan better and travel less.

exref and Footsatt repped this.
  21. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US has an incentive for Mexico and the rest of CCAF to do well when facing other CONFED teams. More so in the WC, but the better we do as a region helps our Confed score in calculating the FIFA ranking.

If we do well as a region in the 2018 WC then our Confed score could go up which in turn helps the US (and all other CCAF teams) in every game we play.

We owe a big thanks to CR for doing so well in 2014 for this very reason.

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Great. Don't care. A pox on my biggest rivals.

eric_appleby repped this.
  23. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I could think about when I saw this

24. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    But that's the thing. If they had all the USA group games out on the West Coast, us Easterners would complain that the games were too far away. The same would be true for West Coast people if all the games were in the Eastern time zone. And if they had all the games in the Central Time zone, EVERYBODY but Chicagoans would complain. The way they worked it, everybody gets a chance to see the team. Is it fair to the players to do it this way? Who cares? They're big boys.

25. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well like...have four different pods: West, Midwest, Northeast, South (I'm biased as I live in Atlanta). Groups play in two different regions, then match their knockout round match in another region.

So...USA could have played in Santa Clara, Seattle and Orlando, then a knockout in Houston or Chicago. Keep two group matches in a row closer together. Does that make sense?