News: Uruguay's AUF lashes againts Copa America and USA's futbol.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by El CHarro_NEgro...., Jun 7, 2016.

1. #1 El CHarro_NEgro...., Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Uruguay's federation seem to be really salty and going on record on calling this cup a mistake:

http://www.futbolred.com/copa-america-2016/declaraciones-presidente-de-la-asociacion-uruguaya-de-futbol 16613021

Some translated excerpts by me (sorry for any mistake):

"Conmebol made a mistake by celebrating a tournament of this nature, the oldest cup in the world, of south american soccer, here in the United States, where this Sunday it was clear (...) that this tournament is tailored made for Mexico," Wílmar Valdez, president of Uruguay's Futbol Association, said to Radio 'Sport 890'.

"With great sorrow and assuming my responsibilities as a member of the Executive Committee of CONMEBOL , I think we made a mistake and the Conmebol made a mistake . The cup might be great from a marketing point of view, for the 'show'... but South American football is something else", he added.

In this regard, he said the United States "is a country where you do not feel the football " and where you don't live it with the same intensity as the South Americans , which, in his opinion, "creates problems".

glennaldo_sf, Dr. Gamera and deuteronomy repped this.
  2. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    He meant to say, "it create$ problem$."

CMeszt, kennytt, justinpaul10 and 2 others repped this.
  3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Valdez is salty because he experienced the American tradition of getting a beer bath from Mexican fans.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Uruguay has a beef vis-a-vi Mexico in their group. Uruguay's travel schedule is absurd. First game in Arizona; second game in Philly, third game back in California. If they finish second in the group (now likely), they're back to Boston! Insane! If Mexico wins their group, then 3 of their first 4 games are guaranteed to be in California. Their other game is in another home away from home in Houston.

If there was going to be any hint of fairness for Uruguay in their group....................the travel schedules would have been similar. But they set this thing up for Mexico in the early rounds.

I would say this, though. Everybody knows this was a money grab from the very beginning. Don't whine now when you realize CONCACAF squads have a home field advantage. Especially after you've already lost the first game to them.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The travel in 2014 was lopsided as well. That's the nature of hosting a tourney in a large country.

6. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    If they were in our group and smashed us that dude would probably be viewing the tournament in a much better light.

mike4066, kennytt, bigredfutbol and 5 others repped this.
  7. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only imagine how intense the atmosphere was, for example, at last year's Ecuador/Bolivia group stage match (6k attendance in a stadium built for 21k...). Or Paraguay/Jamaica (again 6k in a 21k stadium). Or Mexico/Bolivia (15k in a 22k stadium).

mike4066, CMeszt, ATLfirefan and 13 others repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sure. No problem with that. But you have to make it fair, and have everybody travel then. The disparity between Uruguay and Mexico in this regard is glaring.

Tim Vickery of the BBC was criticizing the tournament prior to the start for this very reason.

I mean, this is the South American Championships being played in North America for some completely inexplicable reason from a sporting perspective. The only reason its being held here is for our sweet American dollars. If we come from that perspective, then we understand why all of Mexico's games are held in locations to maximize profit....................and not fairness.

JC507, Hexa and rlrcpa repped this.
  9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...I hear sour grapes from a Federation who loved all the money that comes with this tournament, but changes its tune after getting beat...

mike4066, rlrcpa, jackiesdad and 4 others repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Mexico are basically the host. They're just renting American territory/infrastructure for this tourney. Hosts always get the sweet scheduling.

lynesjc, Android Cat, rlrcpa and 2 others repped this.
  11. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    "Concacaf is better than we thought, and we want to come home"

OGx3, glennaldo_sf, Timon19 and 7 others repped this.
  12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Man I thought Mexico were bad losers

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    #13 cleansheetbsc, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Oh bite me. That is a Uruguayan thing, right?

14. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The other point is Mexico aren't given locations to maximize profit. Mexico will without a doubt sellout any stadium they play in for this cup.

Uruguay are just very sore losers which is nothing new.

15. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They figured out our diabolical plan to make a tournament so Mexico could be crowned champions.

That logic makes as much sense as Suarez's waving abilities.
    739600141439492096 is not a valid tweet id

StormTrooper and deuteronomy repped this.
  16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Not 3 transcontinental flights through 3 time zones crazy.

17. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Mexico can sell out any stadium, maybe they should have them fly cross-country for every game instead of being able to just stay in California.

tomásbernal, ifsteve, exref and 2 others repped this.
  18. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pretty poor form to lose your first match and then complain about the venue. Any complaining would have been better done prior to this.

I can imagine the Mexican fans must be getting an even bigger chuckle out of this than we are.

OGx3, bigredfutbol, Wessoman and 2 others repped this.
  19. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm sure Mexico wouldn't mind. We do it every year in friendlies and at the Gold Cups.

eltapatio, sowrong and JJV1994 repped this.
  20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mexicans got a sweet draw, but this just screams petulance. And the pot-shot at "American fandom" being a problem is pretty dumb.

bigredfutbol and ipaman repped this.
  21. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sore. Loser.

FlipsLikeAPancake, JJV1994 and ipaman repped this.
  22. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    someone show me where where mexico was in charge of scheduling

CMeszt repped this.
  23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The schedule was crafted toward getting the biggest crowds possible for the four determined seeds.

Business is good.

Losing is never much fun.

Berks repped this.
  24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Uruguay lost the first game before any travel. Shouldn't they have waited until after the third match to bitch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. We're all pertty sure they wouldn't be bitching if they'd beaten Mexico........................................

Except CONCACAF has had a poor tournament. Only two wins so far. Panama over a horrific Bolivia side, and the Mexico victory over Uruguay.

A CONMEBOL team will win this thing. Mexico will do to their fans what Mexico always does. They'll play great and then lose in some soul-crushing way in the late knockout stages. I mean, their opponent in the first knockout round could easily be Chile, the defending CA champion.