Uruguay appreciate thread- WOW!

Discussion in 'Uruguay' started by foxfang, Jul 10, 2010.

1. foxfang

foxfang Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Now Toronto
    Wow!!!! What a game!!!!!
    No offense to Korea Rep, Turkey, Croatia, Bulgaria, etc etc etc (the "Cinderella stories" of recent wcs ), but because of Uruguay's history and stature in the game of football, this has been the most meaningful cinderella run in WC history.

In fact, I'd hardly call it that. While those other nations were fun to watch at the time, it was clear that they were a one off thing. Uruguay's amazing tradition + U17 and U20 teams in the past 2-3 years have been incredible, guarantee to produce a few elite players.
    I can honestly say: "Welcome back among The Elite Uruguay" .

You gave us the most amazing WC match in maybe 30 years , and maybe the best finish in World Cup history. With such grace, skill, and respect to other teams...... I take my hat off to you. :)

ps- It's rare that IMO that this run will become the most memorable thing to come out of SA 2010. God, I fell in love with this team. As did millions of others Im sure!!!!!:

2. RobbyRobson

RobbyRobson Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hmm, i dont want to offend, but i see this a little bit more differentiated.
    the win over Ghana was pretty much more luck than everything else. still, must be great for uruguay to compete in WC again, after how many years?
    They lost their last 2 games of this WC, who besides probably North Korea can say that?:D

3. foxfang

foxfang Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Now Toronto
    lol fair enough. But in my country I'm sure our players would be worried about losing $$$ game wages instead of pulling what Suarez did.

Also with Uruguay, I'd argue there's something mystic about that jersey. They force their luck with their unbelievable effort. For such a tiny nation to get this far (and were a much better team than Ghana. They showed it today and vs. Holland without 1/2 the team).

*PS- Let's not forget the dive that led to the Ghana penalty and 2 offsides :)

4. MartinUruguay

MartinUruguay New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Thanks ;) we qualified to all world cups last year, u17, u20 and south africa. We are starting to be what we used to be.

And no, we didnt beat Ghana because of luck. Just because we shot PK better than them. And its after 8 years, sadly we have to play the hardest qualification continent.

5. Andr3sfc

Andr3sfc Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Manaus
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I kind of agree with RobbyRobson, actually.

and this "mystic" only appears every 40 years? lol

and you say that why? because Suarez (fairly; the "outcry" about it is pathetic) put his hands on the ball in what would be the winning goal for Ghana at the end of the game? and because Gyan missed the following PK?

and lets not forget that today's game was a LOT more important to Uruguay than for Germany. even so, and without Lahm, Podolski and Klose, Germany won.

yeah, it was a good run by Uruguay, but I'm not blowed away about it.

6. RobbyRobson

RobbyRobson Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yes, they are on a good way, but still i am not satisfied with all the praising. i really wanna know if they would have reached the semi finals facing england and argentina. would be a different story maybe. but then again, you cannot choose your opponent in a WC. but one thing is sure, you'll not go far with unsportsmanlike behavior!

7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    like pretending the ball didnt go in?

8. MartinUruguay

MartinUruguay New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    We will never know that, we had an "easy" road because we finished the group at the first position and England didnt, we would have faced England if they finished first instead of Ghana at quarter finals.
    We beat Mexico easily, even tho it was only 1-0 and then Argentina beat them thanks to a gift from the lineman.

We could win or lose, we showed it against Netherlands and today against Germany, we are not better than anyone (elite teams) but you wont beat us easily.

And Andre... Manaus... thats all i can say.

9. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They also won Copa America 1995.

10. RobbyRobson

RobbyRobson Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that was the ref's fault. he was blind. and neuer has no eyes on his back. suarez handball was only his fault.

11. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Neuer didn`t need eyes in his back, the regular front ones we all have in our faces, as himself too has, were enough for him to see the ball when he reached for it from the inside of the goal and afterwards played the ball as if nothing had happened. You may want to minimize his action, but the fact is that he deliberatedly cheated and never got punished for it. Very big diference my friend.;)

12. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Foxfang - I have to agree! What an entertaining side - Uruguay provided a lot of compelling moments and story line. Forlan is a Beast!!!

13. foxfang

foxfang Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Now Toronto
    To the Uruguayans here, don't listen. Englishmen usually laugh at basically any nation who tries to debate football with us (arrogant high all mighty posture, I know). But Uruguay is one of the 4-5 nations, that can come up to us and say "You are nothing" and people here respect. 3.5 million? That's amazing.

To the Brazilian, please, this is a thread to praise a nation that made it to the semis off the weight of their jersey/history and the strength of their heart.
    I'm sorry you were embarrassed and made it only in the top 8, I'm sorry your 5 world cups still can't make up for losing 1950.

Uruguay is special because they survived DESPITE being taken over by the monster football nations. All because of pride and heart.
    If you can't respect that, then you are not worth talking to.

Good luck in Argentina 2011 to all teams. The world knows there are 3 big teams in South America again. Thank you to these great players.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Props to Uruguay for a fourth place finish and for providing lots of entertainment throughout the tournament -first match against France being the only exception.

15. umop_apisdn

umop_apisdn Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also fell in love with the Uruguayan team. Thanks for giving me something to cheer for when my nation got knocked out!

16. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    It was nice to see Uruguay restore their reputation as a great footballing nation. Some really thrilling stuff. And what can you say about Forlan.

Now if only Hungary could do the same.

17. Andr3sfc

Andr3sfc Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Manaus
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hungary were 3rd at last year's U-20 WC.
    maybe it's a start. :rolleyes:

18. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    Uruguay sure made China, USA, India look bad(in terms of football):D.

19. kemgooner

kemgooner New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Connecticut
    I really fell in love with this team in the WC and was rooting for them as hard as I cheered for my own country. Forlan was inspirational and should really win best player, but the team on whole is what impressed me the most. I dont think many teams showed near as much heart and passion and desire as Uruguay did. They should be proud of everything they accomplished, I wish I could be in Montevideo to celebrate them coming home.

20. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    As noted this is a thread to appreciate Uruguay's cup run. Nobody is under any obligation to be overly praiseworthy but please do not troll the Uruguay fans. Please do that in World Rivalries.

21. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nah, I don't think so.
    Actually they only won vs South Africa, Mexico and South Korea. That is hardly impressive. To get back to the "Elite" they need to show more and for a long time period.
    I think we can better judge this in 2018 or 2022.

Why was that clear? I think it wasn't clear and it is also not clear, how Uruguay will develop.

22. foxfang

foxfang Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Now Toronto
    Hmm, It's my fault, I should have made it clearer.

Uruguay, at club or national team level rarely played like an elite team (except 1924 , 28, 30). Yet they always managed unbelievable results, grinding it out , instead of "running over opponents" (Like say: The Dutch, Argentineans, etc do).

In terms of elite, Uruguay has and always will be considered among the world's main football nations. That's something that always inspired me when I first read on them as a kid. It's almost charming. They've always been the "little brother" among the elite nations.....the odd one of the group, and yet unmistakably belong. If every main/traditional football nation (Ger, Arg, Brazil, Eng, Italia, Spain , Holland) were a person, I could imagine them looking bewildered , as they have for the past 80 years, as little Uruguay proudly sits with them.....with looks of confusion : "How the hell do you guys do it?"

As for development. Well, you prob haven't heard much about this outside of S. america. But Uruguay has developed arguably the best U20 and U17 sides twice in a row. They are almost guaranteed elite talent, of even higher quality than they showed this WC. *It's no coincidence they are where they are. Believe me. They have surpassed even Argentina in player development lately.

23. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    urugay were shit lucky

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    congrats Uruguay! Great run - you guys proved you can really play football - not too bad at volleyball either. :p

Anyhoo- almost every world cup we have a surprise semifinalist. I guess in 2006 you could say Portugal, 2002 Turkey/S.Korea, 1998 - Croatia, 1994-Bulgaria/Sweden. I guess the only blight on this one is that Uruguay never took down any 'big guns' on this run they only beat teams that are of a similar/lesser caliber (South Africa, Mexico, S.Korea and Ghana) so it's kind of similar to Turkey's run in 2002. With that said I was actually most impressed with Uruguay's last two games which despite losing, they pushed the bigger teams all the way and making the semifinals of the world cup is, regardless of who you beat along the way - a fantastic achievement.

25. jogger

jogger Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    I was for Ghana during their match, but I have to admit that I've gain a lot of respect for Uruguay, especially after their game against The Netherlands and Germany.
    But their K.O round run reminds me Turkey's one in 2002. The Turks beat an Asian team in the 2nd round (Japan), an African team (a.e.t) in QF(Sénégal) and failed against the first "established" team that they met.
    Uruguay beat S. Korea in 1/8, Ghana (a.e.t) in QF and failed against the 1st "established" team they met (Holland) .
    I hope for them that they won't get the same fate than Turkey in what's concerning WC qualification after that.