Upgrading Mike Burns - Who should replace him?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    There are countless Portuguese and Brazilian immigrants (or second or third generation immigrants) who can't name more than Ronaldo or Neymar for their respective countries. They'll show up for the random friendly, don their colors and celebrate a bit of their heritage. I don't see this being any different than the countless Americans who show up only for the random USMNT match to wear their red, white, and blue, drink and tailgate.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, it's far broader than the Portuguese and Brazilian communities that still look down on the revs/MLS. The difference is those Americans who support the USMNT here in the US aren't living in Portugal or the UK or somewhere else, spouting off to the locals during a pick up game about how shitty the local basketball league is compared to the NBA (for example - no other US sport really translates). At least, I never disparaged the local sports teams when I lived in the UK. It's just a matter of courtesy or respect.

3. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think there are all sorts of people who look down on MLS and support their respective NT, whether that's the USMNT or the NT of their ancestors. At one point being a Euro snob was trendy and cool, but at this point it's just dated.

RevsLiverpool and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed 100% - I am one of those people. It's perfectly fine to support the US and another country, just be respectful. For example, I casually support Ireland in Euros and follow their WCQs, being 3rd generation Irish-American. But even if the Irish soccer league isn't as good as MLS, if I lived in Ireland and met someone who actively supported their local club in Cork or Galway or wherever, I wouldn't disparage it. That transcends sports, it's just about being polite.

TheLostUniversity and ToMhIlL repped this.
  5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Maybe it's similar to people who complain about being priced out of Fenway, but couldn't be bothered to go to see the Pawsox or the Spinners.

6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think I know what you mean, but it's not a perfect metaphor because MLS is not the top league in its sport in the world. It would be akin perhaps to fans in London priced out of Arsenal or Chelsea not seeing one of the half dozen smaller clubs in their city and it's vicinity. Sort of name on the back or front of the jersey vs simply a love of the sport. If you love baseball, you'll go see the Pawsox or Spinners or the Cape League - doesn't matter. I love this sport so I support the revs and spend time on this board.

But I get what you meant.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  7. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if it's trendy and cool to be dated?....;)

8. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go listen to your vinyl records.

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you're a Hipster. Now run along. That vintage tandem bike isn't going to repair itself, you know. But it's OK to stop on the way home to Sommervile at the bistro for some organic peppermint tea before your Tai Chi class. Wait, it's Thursday, isn't that Bikram Yoga night?

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MM66 and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  11. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was it certainly could be. Oh the dream. If only I could find a reasonable way to get from my hovel by the Casbah, on Rt. 20 in Worcester, to the Mecca that is Davis Square. Trying the Hipster Lifestyle on a Dumpster Budget ain't the Amazeballs. It's the Shizzle just how Cray Cray is the FOMO for my YOLO ;)

Revs in 2010, RevsLiverpool and ToMhIlL repped this.
  12. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zounds, Rapscallion! I'd have you know that my records are writ in the richest shade of India Ink, and only on the finest of Vellum, Sir!...

13. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear Juergen Klinsman is available ...

NFLPatriot and TheLostUniversity repped this.