Updates and Bugs - 5/22

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Thanks for the feedback. What features do you want that are not on the list, apart from the one you note here? It's not coming because it's not currently support, though we can easily add it, and because we checked the preferences of users on the old system and 1% of you used it.

2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've never understand the "last post first" option, but in a couple of changeover threads in other fora, there are some who are absolutely passionate about that feature.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    When I embed a tweet, it always seems to leave a huge chunk of blank space above the tweet.
    Example:

4. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Solution: don't embed tweets and stick to reliable sources ;)

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you elaborate on "though we can easily add it"?

If so, why not make the 1% happy, who I guess are pretty passionate about it?

I can say that the reason I miss it is because virtually every single BBS/forum site that I'm a member of, can sort this way and that's how I set them. So it's just how my mind works now. Plus for 20 yrs now this is how my Email Inbox sorts... most recent at top. It's become extremely ingrained for me.

As for what other features I miss, there's nothing as important as most-recent-post-first.

Most of the things I'm annoyed by, are probably on the list: MyBigSoccer, Search-in-context, Rep-with-comment, true PM's, etc. I can learn to live without them. One of those that I don't recall being on the list is "Member Since" below the avatar... I looked at that quite frequently.

Thanks for maintaining civility while doing a thankless job Huss. I know what that's like... I work in IT. ;)

crazypete13 repped this.
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should we bow down to the 1%? They have fancy cars, big houses, private planes...oh, this is a different 1%...carry on.

7. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You see the length of the list. It may make the list but not above the items there. Have to prioritize and am publicly sharing those priorities.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, but if someday this "easy to add" feature could be made available, I for one would be happy. And the rest of the 1percenters... and no I'm NOT talking about the the folks that Occupy Wall Street is so upset at. ;)

BTW, Val1 pointed out that I can see "Member Since" by clicking the + sign. That's great... no complaints on that.

Honestly, if you implemented most-recent-post-at-top, I'd be inclined to stop complaining publicly about the new software. :D

9. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Bungadiri's post from the bitch about quicknav thread....

I tried IE, and the quicknav box did not extend over into the main thread, which I find highly annoying in Firefox, but the various fora did not have the + or - to collapse the fora and make them easier to navigate. Strange, these differences you guys have to navigate between different browsers.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But for the 1% who did use it, it's probably a significant factor in their usage. Moreso than the skin or screen width or even posts per page.

I definitely find myself spending far less time on BigSoccer - especially the longer threads.

If it's just not possible, fine. But if it's "Not coming" because you have bigger fish to fry, then I'm going to be rather disappointed.

NorthBank repped this.
  11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, the newest tweak of the new left nav is excellent. In fact, I might go so far as to say that the way it is now, using BigSoccer Fixed in Safari, I may not need a My BigSoccer after all, since the left nav provides quick and easy access to all of my watched forums.

The only thing I wish you could still tweak would be to make it a floater - move with me as I scroll down the page - rather than keep it pinned at the top. With that, it would be just about perfect.

Tweak that, and get rid of alerts and notifications, and I will be a happy man once again. :)

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    There are a few problems with embedding tweets. As noted, there is a lot of empty space before the tweet, but there have been all sorts of issues with them actually showing up as well. Right now, I don't see the tweet although I see the code is there when I quote the post. Also, people should be able to simply paste a twitter link in the media dialog for tweets. We shouldn't have to type in
    Code:
    [media="twitter"]209400381720104961[/media]
    It's pretty random if embedding tweets works right now.

I've also seen this noted in other threads on this forum, but in IE, the left nav still doesn't display properly. It's essentially a list and it ********s up the length of the page much like the reply box does not return to a default size after posting a reply.

I'll post some of the random javascript errors I've seen later as they pop up again.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aha! I had only used it in IE before seeing this message, and I wondered what the point was given the way it opened. Now trying it out in Firefox, and Eureka!

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed

You know you can uncheck everything, right?

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    FWIW, it looks like it's only IE where the left navigation is ********ed up.

16. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't "watch" any threads - meaning I never click on anything that says "watch this thread" or anything similar. I have already unchecked "Replies to a watched thread" just in case. However, I am still getting alerts every time someone replies to a thread that I have viewed recently. Also, I am getting alerts every time someone starts a new thread in one of my watched forums. I cannot find an option anywhere to stop those alerts from coming. If you could point out where I can click to stop those two types of alerts, I would appreciate it.

17. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    It could be that the default setting for Alerts is to receive them once you watch threads, AND that the default for Watched Threads is that you watch if you ever reply to them. If this is the case, then hover over your name at the top right of the page, click through to Alert Preferences, and uncheck left and right.

edit-though I see that you have tried unchecking boxes.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is nothing to uncheck in the alerts about watched forums. Interesting.

Huss I think this might be the problem with Watched Forum alerts.

19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am neither watching threads, nor am I replying in the threads in question. I have merely viewed the thread (which is in one of my watched forums) and once I have viewed it, I then begin receiving alerts when someone replies to the thread. I do not want to receive these alerts. I have neither opted to receive them, nor am I able to click or unclick anything to stop them.

20. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why is there so much useless stuff in the Watched Forums page? If I don't want to watch something in a class of forums, then there is no reason for the class to be there. It just serves to push stuff I want down off the screen.

[​IMG]

A real "My BigSoccer" can't some soon enough.

21. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And I've got 143 alerts. If anyone is getting that many alerts, alerts are useless.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they red?

:D

Now being serious, when you look at "alert preferences," what do you have checked? Also, are you following any forums?

This question directed at Huss: is it possible to have some threads from our watch list not to have alerts while other will have alerts?

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Yeah, really, no kidding.

Seriously, Huss, what is the time-frame here?

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    60 - blah

RapidStorm repped this.
  25. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Any info at all on those two missing threads? A status update of any kind would be appreciated.

Thank you