Updates and Bugs - 5/22

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Sorry about that. For the record, I also don't have a particular problem with usscouse's sig.

Not sure I can do anything about it now, though I will edit my post.

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    OK, now you did it, I'm here....

OK, I've done my bit and fit my sig onto two lines. So, how about you guys do your bit and stop the error message about every 3rd time I post.

It works out to be about every second time I edit, then when I get the edit page nothing works, I can't add or change anything. So I hit refresh and then edit.... then it 'reluctantly' lets me make a change.

Try editing when you have a photo up or a link....Ha...!!! The whole thing freezes up then the whole thing reboots.

Just as an example of what does work, I'm in a digital photography forum. They have Boards for every make of camera, and the photos that members post, They have the "look at our photos section," with boards for nature, kids, animals, scenic shots, HDR, you name it its there. As well as daily competitions with prizes.
    Some are huge files compared with what we have in here but there is never a glitch....Just sayin'

Anyway, I'm just happy to be part of the Big (Football) Soccer community despite the short comings.

Aren't you glad I was invited in here.....:D

HA!, Noticed some creative spelling? So tried to edit...Nuffin" so I cancel edit, hit refresh, wait for it to do that, hit edit, again, then it lets me change.
    Nice this time because it didn't give an error mesage. Oh well. Nice chatting with ya'll...:) :)

Val1 and sitruc repped this.
  3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    [​IMG]
    Worth a double, I'd say!

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the latest dissappointment I found. I wanted to search back through posts from previous years for a given username, but the search results seem to be limited to 10 pages worth, which for active posters doesn't really go back more than a month or so. Is this "expected behavior" of the new system?

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the bottom of Page 10 there's a link that says "
    Find older messages
    " that you can keep using to get another 10 pages of results.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I went to page 10 I don't see that link "Find older messages". I don't think it's there, but where exactly should I be looking on the page?

Gee it would be nice (and largely solve this issue) if the advanced search form had a field for "Older than" in addition to "Newer than".

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The link is at the bottom, below the bottom post it found and above the line that says "Showing results 181 to 192 of 192."

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither of my browsers (Chrome & IE9) shows the link you are referring to. I tried to paste a screenshot here but for some reason that doesn't work either! o_O

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm using Safari, but I'm surprised the link wouldn't show up on every browser. I took a picture of my screen and posted it.

Attached Files:

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK I finally made some progress. Apparently this "Find older messages" option only presents itself when you do Search, More, Everything. Because when you do Search, More, Threads & Posts (as I had been doing) it does NOT show!

Now that I see how it works and I've tried it, I find that it is still REALLY cumbersome, and barely usable.

The problem is that it seems to be limited to displaying 9-10 pages of results at a time. That's about 180 posts at a time. So to go back several years it just takes way too many clicks and way too much time. Not worth it!

Ahh, yet another example of the basic limitations of this new system they chose to replace the old one that worked so much better IMHO.

In this case they could provide a workaround to this myopic limitation by having a search criteria field called "Older than" rather than just "Newer than".

But given recent history I won't be holding my breath on that one.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did my search through my profile rather than through the search method.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. I never thought of doing it that way, but from what I can tell that's the same thing as doing the "Everything" method I mentioned above.

In the end, the search mechanism is severely flawed if this is the only way to (painfully) go back in time before the last 180 posts.

Does anyone else have any helpful advice on this front?

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something that I've occasionally brought up:

We have the MLS General forum...but then, it's also possible to start a thread at the bottom of this list of forums. What is the purpose of having a "new topic" button at the bottom here?

14. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may not necessarily be a bug, but...

I'll see something like this: "User 1, User 2, User 3, and one other person like this post."

If it's just "one other person," then why do I need to click the link to see who it is? Why not just have that one person's name there? I don't mind clicking to see if it's "two other people" or "four other people" but to have a link for one other person seems a bit excessive.

sitruc repped this.
  15. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know at one time, the "latest from the forum" aka whatever it used to be called was not appearing if the posts were made in off-topic forums. I just saw the CarolinaB thread on the main page.

16. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Wow ... somebody really is interested in who reps other people. :speechless:

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  17. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really no big deal, but it *is* interesting they make us click a link just to see one additional name.

greekchampion04 and sitruc repped this.
  18. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been getting a LOT of those JavaScript errors over the past hour or so.

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've been getting a lot of them since the new site came to be...and it has yet to get better.

Edit; Happened just now too.

sitruc repped this.
  20. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the JavaScript error is something related to this forum software. I've gotten used to it by now and I really don't miss the lagging of the old software, but I don't remember this error at all on the old site.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I blind or hallucinating... didn't there used to be a way to search within a thread?! I surely don't see it right now. I'm talking about the new system not the old one, which I recall having this.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Click on the search at the top and a search this thread option will appear.

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I hadn't noticed there have been some changes to searching, but the above still applies.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duh! Yes it was blindness & haste on my part. I saw the "Search Forums" tab but was overlooking the main search field. Et Voila... "search this thread". Phew.

25. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't know if it's just me, but I no longer have the functionality to go to next or previous threads at the end of the current thread.