Upcoming Hazard Deal Carefully - The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DutchCane, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    podolski is a striker now not a winger

ben arfa can play as an ss as can dembelle and sessengon which we need

i wouldn't mind vertonghen as he can play cb and dm

sessengon/dembele/ben arfa would be in dempsey price range

people harp on about m'vila but how many people see him play often, same as javi martinez

we have 2 pivots in arteta and wilshere and coq and song as ball winners, i want an out and out stay at home dm which is what i hope vertonghen can be as well as a rotational cb

2. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Apples and oranges as they play different positions. If(will only believe it when it is on Arsenal.com) Podolski comes, he would be a replacement for at least Chamakh. Plus you might have one of the players out on loan come back and replace Park.

Plus Chamakh started off well and at one point people were excited to have him join Arsenal. Say what you want about Park, but without seeing him a whole lot(only 6 appearances), it is a bit unfair. Maybe he has been found out in training that he wasn't all that he was all cracked up to be. Who knows.

3. zombier

zombier Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Jersey City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think Ben Arfa will go for 10m his price has gone up to probably 20m now.

4. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    oh Ian, you're still bitter Dempsey did this to England. :)

[​IMG]

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    steve hawking could score past green lol

from 50 yards!

6. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a bias against American players in the top Euro leagues. I think it's a logical bias though considering that this player will be taking up an import slot. They want to be 99% sure that the player coming in from a country (with a low soccer pedigree) is better than nearly every player in their system right now. Of course, there is trepidation. Yes, a CL-caliber American can get snubbed. So, no just because an American is obviously good enough for CL soccer doesn't mean a CL team will go after him. It's safer to go for player from proven continents in the soccer world (like Europe and South American and Africa) than take a risk like grabbing a North American. Plus, with all the soccer players in Europe it's easier to grab a CL caliber player in Europe already. You won't have to deal with visas and permission to take residency in the nation. There are a few advantages because if you can get him for no more than 10-12 mil. Not only you are getting a proven goalscorer in this league. You can easily recoup a fair chunk of the fee from merchandise and jersey sales. I personally would probably have like 3 or more (home, away and alternate(s)) of them.

I think he would give Arsenal a new dimension as a downhill player. He's as direct of a goalscorer as you can get. He's not like other Arsenal players who will go off on a FIFA Street tangent. He's going to run straight at the net. A good ball is played and there's a goal. The defenders won't even know what hit them. Fulham plays that downhill attacknig style as a result, he has become that type of player. He's also a very intelligent player and makes very good runs and get those opportunities to score those "dirty" goals. He's an underrated defender as well especially on set pieces. One of the best headers in the league and has a fantastic work rate. Playing for Fulham will do that to you. As much as Arsenal's play is easy on the eyes. They need another method to their play.

The best thing I like from him is his hard-nosed, take no s*** from no one attitude. He's a typical Texan and which probably why he's been so slow to be popular even in the US. Has a Roy Keane mean-streak but he isn't insane like him. Definitely, a guy you want in your foxhole during a war. Also, a guy who will run himself to the ground for the cause. A guy who will fight for the team on the pitch. A very defiant player indeed.

[​IMG][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Z9Puha0eY"]Dempsey headbutts Bellamy [Fulham vs Liverpool] - YouTube[/ame]

Rossi got hurt? I had no idea because I stopped following his career once he made it official that he was going to play for Italy. I saw him play a couple of times since and the marshmallow is taking to his Italian heritage very well with his consistent diving. I saw one match where I saw him dive on four different occasions. As a talented as he is, I was pleased knowing he wouldn't play for the US. It would be a disgrace to see him doing that wearing a US uniform.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :eek:

are u insane?

8. antiwhinger

antiwhinger Member

Nov 1, 2008
    cambridge
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I'd sign him just for this. Anybody who makes Bellamy look like a midget and scares the crap out of him is awesome.

If Bigman realized Dempsey was the Jason Bourne of football, he'd want to sign him too.

:D

9. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Bigman, if you would quit acting childish, you might be able to understand my post. FWIW,, I rather be insane than an imbecile.

10. Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Agree, but I like watching Belgium. They're like the Netherlands during the noughties; the're producing a ton of incredible talent.

This thread has become completely asinine. Isn't it about time to lock it and start a new one anyways? Let's get serious in the next one.

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i'm childish and then u namecall? i'm suprised u ***** **** ***** **** long enough to concentrate on a reply

i cannot beleive the level of patriotism lol if dempsey wasn't american i can guarentee his name wouldn't be bought up and u could see his limitations

he is about 1 in 4 for his career at fulham and is having his first big season aged 29 ffs

when has wenger bought in a player that old for a big fee, which i imagine he will comand after this 'amazing' season?

i bet this thread becomes infested with yanks abroad numpteys within the next day or so lol

12. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did my comment hit close to home? I didn't call you an imbecile. I said "FWIW, I rather be insane than an imbecile." Your name is not in that statement. I can't help that you feel that it was addressed as an insult against you.

His goal scoring number has increased every year. He is less than 1 out of 4, he is more like just over 1 out of 3.5. The highest scoring midfielder in the PL and he doesn't take penalties. This isn't his first big year. Just because it's the first season that you noticed doesn't mean it's his first. Last year, he had 12 goals which was third among midfielders. Mikel Arteta was had for 10 million which Dempsey can be had for about that or not much more.

Would you rather me call him a trash player and call the idea of him joining Arsenal idiotic? Would that make you feel better.

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it won't. I'm gonna be shutting it down pretty soon. Can someone please make a new thread.

14. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    i have to admit, i am shocked at what Dempsey has done this season in a top european league.
    that confidence has translated to his international play as well.
    you can see how comfortable he is on the international stage.
    plays with arrogance and confidence.
    love it...
    would be bummed if he went to spurs or a contender for top 4.
    awesome footballer who is one of the better players in the league.
    sorry ian, it's true.

15. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Vertonghen is not a stay at home DM. MVilla is a stay at home DM in the making he's asked to do too much at this point.

As for Dempsey he's a perfect example of why I hate the MLS. It retards progress, Dempsey would be doing what he is doing now much earlier had he not fuhked around in the MLS. He's too old now no one is going to give him a big contract sadly because I think he'd do well at a big club such as Arsenal

16. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree to that though I think they are learning their lesson slowly. Tim Ream for example. I wonder why the MLS is still a single entity and as a result, gets to control the transfer offers for their players and not move on to giving more independence to the clubs? I'm not a big big MLS follower so I don't understand.

17. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Would anyone have known about him if not for MLS?

18. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006

Do you truly believe Wenger will play with an out and out defensive mid. He is an offensive coach, he coaches his version of total football. I think he's given Song, Vermaelen, and Koscielny the freedom to go forward. If m'vila or Martinez come, they'll probably be given that freedom too.

19. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    Dempsey was a good player on an unheralded NCAA soccer team. Without the opportunity to show his stuff in MLS he'd have probably never made it in England.

If anything, MLS has proven a good step for players moving to England. In fact, former MLSers have done FAR better than Yanks starting out in Europe at a young age. Not saying that wont change, but it's a fact right now.

20. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's also because in order to move from MLS to Europe, you already have to prove yourself as a quality professional player.

It is a much bigger leap of faith to sign a kid right out of college or high school than it is to sign one out of MLS. Hence why the success rate is lower. It is a bigger projection.

21. stoppre16

stoppre16 Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I get your point about the system in the U.S. slowing down the development of players, but I think the issue lies more with college soccer than MLS. Up until only recently, the most talented players were left with little option other than playing at least a couple of years of college soccer (kick ball). During just about the most important years of development (17-22), they are stuck playing for coaches who are, for the most part, more interested in winning at the college level than in developing players. Imagine if the Arsenal reserve and youth team coaches were judged solely on where they finish in those respective leagues, and not on how well they prepare players to be first team professionals. That is pretty much what we have here and it is in no way a good model.