Upcoming Caribbean friendlies [R]

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by mcruic, Oct 25, 2005.

1. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Guyana will take on Barbados next month, on an as yet unnamed date, before taking on Antigua & Barbuda in January. These matches are part of the Guyana Football Federation's drive to improve the national team's performances. They have already had 2 encouraging 3-0 home wins against Dominica on 30th September and 2nd October.

Jamaica will take on Bahrain on 4th November as part of Bahrain's buildup to the World Cup playoff at Trinidad & Tobago.

Puerto Rico will take on Guadeloupe on 30th October in Bayamón. There will be a return match in Guadeloupe in the spring of 2006.

2. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Puerto Rico will use the friendly as an opotunity to check out a lot of young, new players that have yet to play for the Puerto Rican Senior National Team.

Only two players called up have ever played with the Sr. Team before.
    I wish that I could go but I can't (new Baby). I expect for my adopted homeland to get blown out by Guadeloupe.

It will be good experience for the Puerto Rican Federation. We are looking towards the future.

There will be many events tomorrow night celebrating the two countries cultures and the game is free. It should be a lot of fun.

3. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Those two wins moved Guyana up 14 places in the World Rankings to #168. It got them to within one spot of Dominica who stayed at #167. Barbados are at #119, so a win over them would probably move Guyana into the top 160, maybe even top 150.

I think they are making a push to get into Pot E for the 2010 World Cup Qualifying so that they don't have to play a team like Grenada (or Cuba/Haiti/Barbados) like they did in the build up for 2006. With those wins over Dominica they moved ahead of Belize, Cayman Islands, and Dominican Republic. A decent result against Barbados (not necessarily a win) will move them above Dominica and Netherland Antillies (who are both right above them in rankings at #167 and #166). If my calculations are correct, this would put them into Pot E, just barely, as the last team in!

I think these are the current pots (as of October 2005's rankings)

Pot E
    #76 Cuba
    #91 Haiti
    #117 St. Lucia
    #119 Barbados
    #149 Grenada
    #151 Surinam
    #154 Antigua & Barbuda
    #159 Bermuda
    #163 British Virgin Islands
    #166 Netherland Antillies

Pot F
    #167 Dominica
    #168 Guyana
    #173 Dominican Republic
    #177 Cayman Islands
    #192 Bahamas
    #195 US Virgin Islands
    #197 Anguilla
    #199 Aruba
    #202 Montserrat
    #203 Turks & Caicos Islands

4. Bahraini1928

Bahraini1928 New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Bahrain
    Bahrain beat Panama 5-0 in a freindly last night , both teams played with there B teams

5. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Thanks for the great breakdown but how did you manage to overlook my boys, PR? #194 with a bullet!

6. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Puerto Rico weren't in any pots last time since they didn't compete in World Cup Qualifying. I assumed they were going to skip qualifying again this time around too.

7. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Hell, No. We are finally getting our **** together. Our Fed is working hard to get it's act together after the former regime set us back with it's corruption.

Slowly but surely we are coming back. :)

8. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  9. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

damn !!!! who the F U CK do they think they are?

this is going to huant them for not playing jamiaca.

F those snooty arabs oil mofos

good luck T&T

Btw jus out of curiosity i would love to see guatemala play them

10. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Apparently Bahrain wanted to stay in 5-star hotels and have security guards. I can see why the JFF might not have been able to afford this...

Oh well, it is Bahrain's loss....

11. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

fvck them!, Jamaica has a very similar gamestyle, like T&T, stupid bahrain, they are missing a great friendly game....

I hope trini gives them five star goals and eliminate them.

12. Bahraini1928

Bahraini1928 New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Bahrain
    before you start, you dragged up kid.

Jamaica asked bahrain to present 500 000 us dollars for the match itself, bahrain cant afford it, i hardly think many teams can.

13. Bahraini1928

Bahraini1928 New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Bahrain
  14. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Hmmm. The other side of the story?

Our Bahraini friend has a very good question. They need the game. Why would they force Jamaica have to pay so much to host the game?

I think that the truth is probably someplace in the middle. Where it usually is.

15. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just going by what was printed in the article.

Is there are article which backs up what you are saying? Just curious....

Ahhh, I did the work for you
    http://www.radiojamaica.com/news/story.php?category=3&story=21045

Two sides to every story.

16. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You didn't even need to dig this up, it states in the original article you posted from canada.com that the JFF asked for the money:

"JFF president Crenston Boxhill said in a statement that he asked Bahrain's soccer association for a $350,000 US ($413,000 Cdn) match fee to cover the expenses but was turned down."

It's the second last paragraph, read it again...

17. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Guyana will host Antigua & Barbuda over the last weekend in January 2006 (27th-29th January). There will definitely be at least one game, with the possibility of a second.

18. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Puerto Rico & Guadeloupe have an agreement to do it again with Guadeloupe hosting in March.

19. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Any news on the exact date, or is that not decided yet?

PS - Guyana v Barbados scheduled for this month has been postponed, but may be played at a later date.

20. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    For Guadeloupe-PR, no. Just an agreement. It probably won't be on an official FIFA matchday.

21. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ahhhhh

My mistake. Obviously, I am confused as to the content of the articles. It wouldn't be the first time. :)

22. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    for a scot, your up on your carribean football

are you originally from the caribe?

just curious.

any way,
    what's the possibility of These teams playing some central american teams next year?

23. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Nope, no association with the Caribbean.
    Just that I've got to be up on my world football for my website ;) I need to be aware of what's going on all over the world, so I can keep my match database up-to-date with EVERY international match. BigSoccer is a great place to find breaking news, and also to give it to others (This is not an advert for BigSoccer by the way!)

Caribbean teams playing Central American teams seems unlikely, unless it's Trinidad & Tobago, Jamaica, Cuba and Haiti. These are the only 4 who seem to play the non-Caribbean CONCACAF teams. In saying that, Guyana did play in Belize a few years ago........

24. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

Guyana overtook Dominica this month. They are a mere 5 points away from Pot E!

Here is how the pot system looks now (not much of a change from before):

Pot E
    #75 Cuba
    #91 Haiti
    #119 Barbados
    #125 St. Lucia
    #150 Grenada
    #151 Surinam
    #155 Antigua & Barbuda
    #158 Bermuda
    #163 British Virgin Islands
    #166 Netherland Antillies

Pot F
    #167 Guyana
    #169 Dominica
    #173 Dominican Republic
    #176 Cayman Islands
    #192 Bahamas
    #195 US Virgin Islands
    #197 Anguilla
    #200 Aruba
    #202 Montserrat
    #203 Turks & Caicos Islands

The only other change was Barbados overtook St. Lucia to move into the top 3 of Pot E. Bermuda also gained a little on Antigua & Barbuda, but weren't able to overtake them yet.

25. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Haiti will play Hungary this sunday, (12/18/2005) in Miami, FL. At first i thought (and i'm haitian-american) the #91 haitians might get set back in this game with the #71 hungarians but then it hit me, if i was a team playing Haiti, above all the last place i'd want to play them is in Miami where they nearly defeated #8 USA, until the americans scored back in stoppage time past the 90th minute in the game(game ended 1-1). Also last year in Miami, the haitians gave #43 Jamaica a run in an eventual 1-1 tie. Haiti hasn't losed a game in Miami since Gold Cup 2002 in an overtime loss to Costa Rica 2-1. Since then they've been 3-2-0 in the last six games in Miami and 5-2-1 in the last 8 games played in FL. Haiti is definitely a team 2 watch for an upset against the Hungarians this weekend.