Unsuscribe from thread

Discussion in 'Technical Problems and Bug Reports' started by eltron, Jul 26, 2018.

1. eltron

eltron Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    #1 eltron, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Hello,

First of all, I have already used the forum search to find an answer to this, but only found a lot of quasi-related stuff. So let me ask for some help on the following (which worked a lot better with the old forum engine/design)

In the past I have opened or posted in some few threads that are not of my interest anymore.
    For some reason it is like I'm following these threads (and I would like to unsubscribe from these), appearing in a highlighted blue color, like I have something new to read.
    The problem is that it also makes the parent Forum to appear highlighted ("New" green banner), which I'd like to see only when there is something new of my interest.

Obviously I have checked the Watched Forums and Watched Threads options just under the main menu bar. Intriguingly I don't have any watched thread or forum. So I really would like to know how the forum knows which threads would be highlighted for me, and how can I manage and change it.

Right now, the only healthy workaround I have found is to check the forum only for a couple times during the week. This way I know the highlighted forums will really have something interesting for me.

Any guidance on this?

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not about what you're following. Any forum with a post since you last marked the forum or entire board as read will say "New" in green. When you open the forum, the new topics will be in blue. A forum will have both of the green and blue or neither. I watch forums so I look at https://www.bigsoccer.com/watched/forums and don't have to see forums I'm not interested in. Some forums get frequent posts and will be in green now matter how often you mark the forum or whole board as read.

Ismitje, eltron and soccernutter repped this.
  3. eltron

eltron Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    #3 eltron, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Thanks for the answer. I like your suggestion to use the "watched forums" option

A little more detail, just in case there is really an issue for others:
    I never, for example, have got the "New" banner on the "Bolivia" forum: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forums/bolivia.1245/
    Apparently it has an update on Jun 9 2018. I definitely have not entered there to mark it as read since that date.
    I may be wrong on this "New" banner behavior, but I'm more sure on the next one:

Never have seen "Copa Peru 2018", https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/copa-peru-2018.2081630/, highlighted with blue, despite its updates. But there are other threads that I get highlighted and I wouldn't like to check

I think the main difference with other forums is that I have never clicked on some and that seems to be the reason why it doesn't get updated for me.

Seems like Bigsoccer remembers which threads you have clicked on, and from that moment you get this "issue". I am almost sure that I could enter to some option on the old forum engine and "uncheck" some threads that I lurked in without real interest but just curiosity

4. eltron

eltron Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
  5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a forum says "New," you can make it stop saying new by marking the forum as read or opening every topic. Opening the forum without marking it as read or opening every topic does not make it stop saying "New."

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it looks like a time-out issues. For me:

upload_2018-7-28_11-5-12.png

I have never been to the Equipment and Gear Off Topic forum, but I see it is not flagged as having new posts. Yet it also shows the last post was on June 28, 2018. In contrast:

upload_2018-7-28_11-7-1.png

China shows as having a new post, and it is within the last 30 days, and, again, I have not visited in that time. My conclusion is that there is some notification set to a one month time-out.

EvanJ and eltron repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccernutter's thought that forums stop saying "New" after 30 days matches what it looks like for me.

soccernutter repped this.
  8. eltron

eltron Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Thanks for the feedback and help
    I think I can use "Watched Threads" since now

soccernutter repped this.