UnitedMania Podcast Reunion Show: Hong Kong Phooey

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Dec 2, 2018.

1. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Could be. I’m still unconvinced he’s leaving anyway but who knows, we have the masters of business in charge of the front office so who knows.

2. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ockam's razor states that if Acosta leaves this year, it will be because he and we are offered a dump truck full of Benjamins.

dadman and griffin1108 repped this.
  3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - your wrong about the tailgating and Mike is right. more than 3000.

- Mike is wrong about Olsen being the issue.

- the front office screwed up the supporters issue. none of the groups could stand alone

- Don Garber is a moron and should go. He has no clue what he is doing

- DC United will never sell 15,000 to 18,000 season tickets.

4. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen is the problem.

5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

and that would be an opinion and we all have one or two...................................

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    As opinions go, it's not a very good one.

shawn12011 repped this.
  7. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Gentlemen - I really appreciate you spending the time to put this together.

Perhaps, it is the early onset of my dementia, but I found Mike's wild-ass opinions to be insightful, at times. I know scary. Listening to Mike was listening to a learned old wise man providing pearls of wisdom and then shitting in his pants the next moment.

Thanks again guys.

8. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    To this day, you still have one of the best live quotes of all-time on our show "i'm just here for the doughnuts"...

shawn12011, JoeSoccerFan and Winoman repped this.
  9. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    DCU draft thread - I just saw a mock draft from one of the MLS blog sites (Black and Red United), they selected for DCU, Logan Gdula (WF) RB with the 12th. MOCK DRAFT.

Gdula is a good pick at #12 for DCU. He's a fast RB that has improved his service this year. Lateral quickness and when turned needs to improve. Biggest concern - attitude problem and illusions of grandeur. Luckily, with DCU he probably should make the first team. With a good team needing to work at USL might be problematic.

DCU fans should be happy if Gdula drops to them.

10. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I miss your preseason draft recommendations! This only creates hunger pangs.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  11. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    at least for comedy purposes? LOL

12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    IIRC, you rated Graham Zusi as a "marginal" MLS player when he came out for the draft. Not picking on you, just a point to show that talent evaluation is difficult and not the exact science some folks think it is.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I can't exactly recall, but I think that I was struggling to figure out where he would play, stating that he wasn't a 10 (like he played after Stephen King departed) or a forward like he did for a couple of years following his freshman year when he played primarily RMF. I do recall that I suggested that he might turn out to be a RB.

I'm a little bit busy through the week, but I will try and dig up my old post on ProPlayerPipeline after the combine/draft on Zusi.

But, I don't doubt your memory - just my mine! And your point is very valid, talent evaluation is difficult even when you see a player a lot! I think that I was targeting 75% accurate evaluation - sometimes I do much better than other times. I remember the misses much more than the hits!

griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  14. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Thanks for the response. Stephen King really is a blast from the past. I remember seeing Zusi in one televised NCAA tournament game and was impressed with his composure, but other than that I wouldn't have had a clue about how he would stack up in the pros. However, I also remember seeing Patrick Mullins in a similar situation and I thought "can't miss, this guy is the real deal." Well, that evaluation certainly didn't pan out the way I thought it would. Given the fundamental differences between the college game and the pros, I can't think of a more difficult talent evaluation to make in professional soccer. You are dealing with early 20 somethings who may or may not be the "finished" product. Think of them and then think of Lucho Acosta, Yamil Asad and Lucas Rodriguez who are the same age and have been playing professionally for almost half of their lives.

JoeSoccerFan and Winoman repped this.
  15. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was away for a couple of months and so did not know about your podcast fo r2018 being available. Great to hear it. I have a number of comments but that I will send later.

I would love to have you go to a more frequent and regular schedule. Your voices are really missed. Have you thought about doing a monthly show?