UnitedMania Podcast: Episode 159 - El Sack of Hammers

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, May 26, 2015.

1. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    By knife edge I mean DC will lose 2-0 or draw 1-1. Amazing after seeing those first 20 minutes.

2. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Rut Roh! Papparatto hurt doesn't help DC at all. He's been terrible.

3. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    I will never bad mouth the Hamid and Hope strategy again. If he goes, we are toast, but as long as he's here we got a shot in any game we play.

4. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Wow. Jewsbury means Porter is locking it down against us coming back.

5. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Boswell? Really? How many set pieces do you think we're going to get? It pushes Kemp forward, but is that enough? I don't think so. I'd have gone for Pontius

6. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Wow. Boswell as a forward? Olsen channeling his inner Hudson! I believe he used Pope as a late game forward sub too. Don't think it worked, but you never know!

7. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    OK. End of day, this is a loss. I believe it could have been a point or win if handled differently mostly in the starting lineup, but it was a valiant effort no question. And if it translates to wins in the next three home matches (or even down the road with the experience some young players got), I'd even go so far as to say it's a brilliant result.

Drop more than 3 of those 9 points, especially because of defensive mistakes due to players making this travel uneccessarily, and this was a waste of time. Might as well have forfeited it. If the young fellas who played over their heads are banished as well, then this was a waste as well.

We'll see.

Huh, FIFA executives indicted for bribes. That's shocking.

8. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    These guys are idiots! The FIFA scandal is no different than the IOC or any other world event. Corruption won't taint the event itself or the game in America.

Tino is right in that it means American youths lost out on seeing a World Cup live, but I did too as a kid. '94 I was almost 30. MLS being relevant is far more important than that. I had Cryuff to watch in RFK. Kids now have had Beckham, Henry, now Villa, Kaka, etc. This scandal plays no weight in MLS.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    So... um... this was a pbp thread?

10. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a platform for the talent.

Winoman, Marco10 and fatbastard repped this.
  11. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finished the show this morning and I was surprised to hear a nomination for Arnaud at RM. As noted, that didnt' work out too well. And I'm not sure how if Farfan is generally rated too slow to play out wide, how anyone would expect Arnaud to do it?

But if you use him as a wide DM who sits back, that could work.

Personally, I was thinking he would make a great Doyle. Meaning, he would be an excellent defensive forward to put out in the second half and apply pressure. He should be able to tackle, pass, shoot, and find space better than Doyle.

This is when he's not spelling the other CM's.

12. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    To be fair to him, Arnaud only played his first game with United at right mid. So, to cheese him off for that one-off performance (not blaming you per se, it's just a common narrative i see thrown out about Davy) is a bit tough.

I'd consider Arnaud a much more active player than Farfan ever is and it could work considering how Olsen employs his "wide" midfielders. It's just a thought. I don't think Olsen would consider it.

And hey Mr. "Talent", nice job. Only gifted soothsayers such as yourself could fail to realize that Pontius and Franklin were home in DC throughout your match commentary.

Way to pay attention to those details...

13. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Olsen's brain is firmly in the box.

Of course the last time it started to get out of the box, we ended up selling Najar to Anderlecht.

14. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Yeah, silly me thinking DC would actually bring 18 players. :rolleyes:

15. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Sooooooo, you blame Olsen for you not paying attention.

check...

Talent indeed.. :)

16. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    We have pool and a pond. The pond would be good for you though.

17. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hey guys, look at the quarterfinal matchup in The Black & The Red FA Cup:

Flag Waiving Redneck vs UnitedMania.com

Is this not Randy vs. The Podcast (or Martin)?