Pre-match: United vs United (no, not that United. The other one).

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 25, 2019.

1. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

again I think Atl are still trying to figure out the 4-3-3.

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I think this is the first time against a top team that Hamid didn't have to do multiple stand-on-his-head saves for DCU to get a victory.

fatbastard, Dizi, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything I've read so far says they were in a 3-4-3, not a 4-3-3.

sitruc repped this.
  4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reporters were wrong, 4-3-3 FdB is Dutch and an Ajax man

5. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So every single reporter that's talked about what FdB is trying to implement is wrong? MLS's box score for DCU/ATL showing a 3-4-3 is wrong? MLS's box scores showing 3-4-3s for both CCL games are wrong?

The preponderance of evidence is that Atlanta is ruinnng a 3-4-3. You're not going to convince me otherwise.

sitruc repped this.
  6. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ajax's 433 always becomes a 343 in possession. the difference, if any, is only in player selection and semantics.

ejs1111 repped this.
  7. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was 3-4-3 personnel wise. 3 center backs (Robinson, Parkhurst, Brazilian guy), two wing backs (Shea, Ambrose), two holders (Remedi, Nagbe) and three forwards.

if it was a 4-3-3, who were the three in the middle? This was 3-4-3 all day.

sitruc repped this.
  8. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    This team can be great if they get a poacher or out and our striker to replace Rodriguez etc. I’ve been checking out this guy Hamdi Salihi

bigredfutbol, sitruc, DCUSA and 2 others repped this.
  9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your right and I'm wrong I hang my head in shame.

<sarcasm>

10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pssst in case you missed it every formation no matter how it starts out morphs during the flow of a match. Every coach from Sir Alex down to Ben Olsen will tell you the same thing. But what do I know I only coached the best girls soccer team in Baltimore City.

11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your justification of being a soccer coach doesn't mask the fact that you're wrong here.

Atlanta, under de Boer, runs a 3-4-3. Know what de Boer wanted to run at Crystal Palace? The 3-4-3. There are numerous articles that say all this.

Here's an article from The Athletic from yesterday saying they're running a back 3: https://theathletic.com/851251/2019...r-the-back-three-is-still-a-work-in-progress/

And yes, I know formations change throughout a match. That doesn't change the fact that Atlanta's base formation on Sunday, and in their previous de Boer games, is a 3-4-3.

sitruc and Heist repped this.
  12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are ignoring content by this member.

Oh and I'm not wrong.

13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    This might be the dullest page in Big Soccer's entire history.

shawn12011, ejs1111 and Eastern Bear repped this.
  14. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We really are in a post truth world.

Dizi, sitruc, ImNumberTen and 3 others repped this.
  15. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure it didn't just look like a 433 because Arriola was living in Shea's basement?

Pretty sure that's a Dutch euphemism.
    :cool::D

shawn12011, ejs1111, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the field it looked like 3-4-3 to me.
    But that's only if you count She as being on the field. Arriola didn't seem to notice him. ..

shawn12011, griffin1108, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  17. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dizi, sitruc, ImNumberTen and 2 others repped this.
  18. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    This was a rare home miss for me, but, alas, I had a work conference in Tampa, where the high was about 82 on Sunday. And with the game on ESPN so I could delay figuring out how to cough up the $5 (or whatever) I'll be paying to watch most away games. Jesus, we looked great! The team was aggressive and creative on offense and tough on defense. My only small criticism is that we could have worked a little harder to kill the game in the last 10-15 minutes. There were some unecessarilly risky passes in the back third that could have cost us three points in a 1 - 0 game. I think the players sensed that Atlanta was beaten.

It's clear that Wayne's playing time will be a topic of discussion throughout the season. My theory is that it is Wayne, not Ben, who will be deciding Wayne's playing time. And I'm fine with that. I've got no problem with Wayne playing 90 on Sunday against a championship team with a guy who scored 30 some goals last season. I'm not sure Wayne yet trusts his teammates to hold a lead without him. And he may be right. And I don't think subbing him out at 80+ minutes makes much difference in terms of either resting him or integrating the sub. To rest Wayne he either needs to not start or be subbed out by the 70jh minute.

John L, Winoman, DCUSA and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If Atlanta loses to Cincinnati, deBoer might not make it to the Ides Of March. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DCUSA repped this.
  20. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Atlanta has talent for sure, but that talent was acquired with input from Martino for his system. FdB certainly has different tactical ideas than Martino, the talent will overcome some of that dissonance, but not all of it. On Sunday, Brek Shea looked like a guy whose career was over in Vancouver and Martinez looked like the guy who played for Torino. Could be a blip, could be wrong players for FdB's approach to the game.

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be they just ran up against a better coach and a better team :)

Brek Shea can (or could) be relied on to come in late in a game and run at tired wings and throw himself around willy-nilly to disrupt defenses and maybe hit a cross in for a goal - but he's not one I'd start with the intention of getting a game-plan rolling.

bigredfutbol, JayRockers! and Winoman repped this.
  22. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I said this on the other team's thread, you can't sell your best player and hope to pick up where you left off, especially if you haven't replaced the talent level in that same position. You may find out that Barco is a bust and Miggy is a much better player than Pity, at least in MLS. And its a cascading impact because Almiron made most players around him better. MLS is a different game than Argentina, just like La Liga is different from Serie A is different from EPL.

Martinez was going to be hard pressed to have the kind of season this year that he had last year, even if Almiron hadn't been sold, but without him or a similar level of replacement, he's a buy high, sell low fantasy player this year, most likely, at least until Pity adapts or Barco stops trying to nail his teammates wives and girlfriends.

And Brek, its kind to call him a role player. He may or may not have some speed, but he's not quick and he's not good. He looks so out of place for winger/FB. He's a big guy (6'3" 180 lbs), I don't think I'd realized that until the 2nd half when he was over on my side of the field. His body type almost reminds me of Kaka (6'1" 180 lbs), but he is not nearly as graceful or skilled. Someone must have been high to give him half a million bucks a year. He makes Zoltan's million a year look like almost a bargain.

23. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Yup. and as I was also able to see when he was on our side is that he still has really pretty hair. At least, that's what I told him during the game....

24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bre-eck Shea
    Has a very nice hairdo
    But his mother [censored]
    ... and he can't score goooooals

Pretty sure I told him and their "star" forward they had nice hair* during the match

* sarcastically, duh

Winoman repped this.
  25. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Maybe Atlanta is just not good right now.