Pre-match: United vs United (no, not that United. The other one).

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 25, 2019.

1. ContraryIndian

ContraryIndian Red Card

Brazil
    Brazil
    Feb 23, 2019
    Neither Ambrose or Shea can get any crosses in... where is the Brek Shea from last Thursday? I don't like this club footed version.

2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta look like they are thinking too much, as if they are still learning the 4-3-3

3. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he’s fabulous.

And this Atlanta side certainly looks like an FdB coached team, LOL

Q*bert Jones III and JayRockers! repped this.
  4. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal Acosta! And Guzan looked horrible on that.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  5. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Kasper,

Pay Lucho.

- Everyone

6. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club footed version is the usual one, sorry to say.

Atlanta players look like they are struggling to figure out where there teammates are going. They were having some success with long balls over the top, but I don't think that Atlanta's coaching staff is willing to play that way.

fatbastard and shawn12011 repped this.
  7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0 Final!!!

ejs1111, Winoman, roadkit and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had Rooney not stubbed under the ball it would have been 3-0. Total domination, and a surprisingly good defense. Arriola was my MOTM.

Boloni86, Dizi, fatbastard and 3 others repped this.
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They looked very good, just ran AU off the pitch. The Dynamic Duo is going to be the Three Musketeers this year.

Didn’t like what Lucas Rodriquez did. I’m less worried about his ability. After all it’s just one game. I’m more concerned about his style. As someone mentioned upthread, the way we’re set up, we’d be better off if he was a righty tasked with cutting in to combine with Acosta and Rooney. Ben has often misallocated the talents of his wide mids. I’d hate to see him do it again.
    :rolleyes: Infinity

The way you bitch constantly about the league, please do us all a favor, yourself included, and stop. It’s tiresome and wrong and tiresome. Why watch if it’s rigged?

JayRockers! repped this.
  10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must say that is the best I've seen DC play on opening day in some time.

Arriola, Lucho, and Rooney were excellent. Birnbaum, Brillant, Mora, and Moreno were solid. Hamid didn't have much to do, but was excellent when he was needed.

Titi Rodriguez looked good to me, and I don't think we need to get Asad back at DP money. Was he subbed out because of injury?

I also liked what I saw from Leonardo Jara. Except for one bad brainfart - letting a pass get past him and go out-of-touch - I thought he had a terrific game.

I think I might have subbed Rooney out for Amerikwa at about the 80 minute mark. He had a couple of breakaways at the end, but couldn't out-run the defenders. We don't need to run him into the ground.

I'm pretty happy with what I saw, overall.

11. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    #61 Eastern Bear, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Just got back from the game and I liked what I saw for the most part. I think Jara is still not in good shape. He was a little indecisive on the counter attack too. When he gets into sync, I think he'll be the real deal over there. He's also big enough to play centerback in a pinch. You could tell Arriola has been playing with the national team because he was in great shape. At minute 70 most of the team began to lose gas. I would have subbed more liberally if I was Olsen. I loved the willingness to attack and the intelligence/patience with the ball (during the first 60 minutes). If we get lucky with injuries it could be a very good season.

* One last edit to say that I counted about 9+ shots in the box for DCU. Two were blocked, but the rest were clean. That's impressive. Atlanta probably only had 1 shot inside the box all game and it was a high difficulty one timer.

bigredfutbol, GumbyG, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Agree with @Winoman , that was a comprehensive performance. Jara and Rodriguez looked very good. Acosta wants to make this his team. In the last 10 minutes Atlanta was starting to retain possession in the DCU half. At one point Acosta just charged out and stole the ball from the Atlanta player -- a sort of "this shit stops now" type of move. A very thorough victory. As @Winoman says, I would have subbed Rooney for Amerikwa in the 80th minute -- at that point you don't need goals, you need disruption.

Boloni86, bigredfutbol, sitruc and 5 others repped this.
  13. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it’s pretty much only rigged for the Galaxy. They make great Villains.

I don’t really watch teams other than DC and LAFC (my son’s team and youth club).

The league has its problems. Why don’t you do us all a favor and acknowledge them. The league doesn’t need cheerleaders anymore. It’s grown past that point.

James (since 1996)

fatbastard repped this.
  14. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in full support of Club Foot Shea.

MattR, ejs1111, John L and 2 others repped this.
  15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    When did Guzan get so bad at distribution? Isn't he still considered among the top US goalkeepers? Don't get me wrong, he was probably no worse than Hamid but Hamid's worst distribution was after the game was effectively over.

16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you right?
    Seems like that while we played extremely well they were a little bit either physically or mentally tired. Maybe both. Or maybe we were just that dominant.

GumbyG repped this.
  17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guzan had one fantastic punt off a corner (I think). Some of it was bad, but go back and look at that play. I don't think you'd call him "so bad" at distribution. It's not easy in the rain.

sitruc and ElApacheTevez repped this.
  18. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I can't remember the last time DCU started the season ready to play, so that was nice.

sitruc, ImNumberTen, usadcu and 6 others repped this.
  19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    So bad for being a top US player. Not so bad by MLS standards.

dadman repped this.
  20. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    While I know that Atlanta had rotated a few of their starters with CCL last week and this week, but without looking at the stats, I'd guess we had close to 60% possession and felt much more dominating than that as Atlanta was really only threatening on the break, the one Guzan punt was really excellent. Very good all around. Titi Rodriguez looked really good. He's the goods right off the plane. Lucho spent a lot of time out on the wings and did a lot of "little" things and while he might not have been as influential as last year, thats really good for us because teams are not going to be able to hack him or stifle him to stop us. We beat Columbus last year if we'd had Titi.

21. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I think so, I think they could have started all their starters too but losing an away game under these conditions is what it is and I guess they just didn’t take it seriously enough. Tactically they made poor choices, relying heavily on Brek Shea (who is ass) but after halftime their adjustments were effective. I wonder what our equivalent performance would have been with a first half without two of Rooney/Acosta/Arriola but that’s what teams in international competitions have to deal with.

In the end they got outplayed because DC players put more effort in and wanted to win at home more than Atlanta wanted to win. So in short we were dominant. That’s really to me what Rooney brings, a desire to win.

Frankly, I am kind of hoping we learned our lesson about the preseason and just didn’t need take any such events seriously. More than half of the last 10 years we sustained relevant injuries in these matches and that we lost most preseason events is actually probably a good thing in the end if we perform better when it matters.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember the last time I went to an opener and saw us play AND win so confidently.

Arriola was on fire! I also liked our two defensive backs we got, they seemed aggressive and had some minor flaws, but still I was impressed.

Rodriguez I felt has potential to get better, enjoyed his play, he just unfortunately gets a bit out muscled by his size

Loved the Durkin sub for Acosta. Canouse was just a beast and great as always.. yeah much to enjoy.

I also see room for improvement, but in a good way, meaning we should get better as opposed to, woah we got some problems here that seriously need to get fixed.

stangspritzring, fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  23. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am warming to Moreno in the middle along with Canouse. He can do more than just interrupt attacks. And did you notice that he took one of our corners, allowing Rooney to station himself among those attacking the net?

sitruc, Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  24. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta actually had a lot more possession - 56.2% to DCU's 43.8%. There were only 5 5-minute intervals the whole game where DC had the ball more.

DC did a lot more with their possession, obviously, but Atlanta did see the ball quite a bit more of the ball than DC.

Winoman repped this.
  25. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think you dominated possession, but the stats say otherwise, it was a good game.