United vs. TFC -Saturday, June 6

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by stangspritzring, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What's the point? He would just sit on the bench like all our other DPs. Arnaud was not having a good game and was clearly exhausted in the second half, but Halsti did not sub in. WTF?

Oveki8, Winoman, Bootsy Collins and 3 others repped this.
  2. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what worries me about playoffs. I think we have 99% chance of making them, but then a special player like Giovinco can turn up and knock us right out.

He is one of the best players I have watched in MLS, if he isn't front runner for MVP then league is crazy.

kirchhausen, Boloni86 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing. It seems to me it's time to make Halsti the default starter and use Arnaud for depth, but that doesn't seem to be what Ben has in mind.

Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That drove me crazy the entire game. That made me question everything about the scouting and preparation for the game. My exact words when he scored the second goal were "THEY HAVE ONE ********ING GUY!"

Winoman and stangspritzring repped this.
  5. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll preface this short story by saying I could just be insane and it never happened.

But, I'm pretty sure one of the "leaders" made a gesture at me like 'wtf is wrong with you' for booing Altidore loudly when he came on. I'm as American as the next, but this ain't Team USA. He was playing for the opposing team last night and is quite a good player, which makes him an enemy, so he gets booed. foh with that

DCUSA, Winoman, Murr and 2 others repped this.
  6. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When my brother started clapping for him, I smacked his hands and yelled "You don't clap for that $#!t!"

I may have been in a mood.

DCUSA, Winoman, jason1551 and 5 others repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I thought I remembered the late sub, but I had I had to look at the box score to see he even played. I forgot all about him. I don't remember him on the field during the goal.

8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He does not touch the ball and is behind all the defenders so he is not causing them to take him into account. They are out of position. Thus he becomes passive.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  9. dcjeffc

dcjeffc Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Recap highlight only shows one angle which shows him actively attempt interfering with #27 from making a play on the ball. If he stays out of the way of #27, I think there is a legitimate gripe.

That said, DCU should have stayed onside in the first place and made the call easy on the sideline official. Having half the team ineligible to play the ball is difficult for any level of officiating. Also, Computer-Vision based offside rulings can't come soon enough.

shawn12011 repped this.
  10. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think we played *SUCH* a bad game, but we looked tired and Toronto played definitively better, even without accounting Giovinco, they were always first on the ball and basically conducted the dances for the whole game. Their defense was quite strong too. I guess playing a game every three days (plus travel) has a price to pay. I knew we were due for a home defeat soon or later, after the first half with Chicago, I thought that was then, but eventually we won, so I was really fearing this game. As I predicted, if you leave space to Giovinco, he'll cut thru' like a knife in the butter, and that's exactly what he did. But anyway, this is our first home defeat after 20 (home) games, I'd sign a contract for that.

Winoman and Oveki8 repped this.
  11. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto forced our defenders to make a decision: Play them tight and risk being turned, or play them loose and have a better chance of slowing at cutting off the passing lanes. Giovinco turned Franklin when he was played close, and scored a long range cracker when he was played loose. As Sasho pointed out emphatically, he is a very special player. I think only Korb and possibly Rolfe have reaction times quick enough to guard him one on one.

And yes, I think Halsti ought to have replaced Arnaud in the second half. Having two very good soccer brains (Rolfe and Halsti) on the pitch together might have helped just enough to earn a draw. I have a sick feeling that Ben is once again favoring the feisty, active type who gets stuck in rather than the calmer, more judicious player who might just give you a better chance for a good result.

12. Shakes McQueen

Apr 29, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hope you guys don't mind a TFC fan chiming in here...

As a perpetually abused Toronto supporter, I'm loathe to get too excited about *any* TFC team because it always ends in disappointment. However, as a (I assume?) closer observer of the team than you, they've really turned on the gas in the past 5-7 games, where I believe they are 5-1-1. You're absolutely right that they looked like a hot mess before that, and even Bradley looked kind of terrible. However, I suspect they've gotten more comfortable as a team, and figured out how better to serve guys like Giovinco, and have looked pretty dangerous since.

Still not even close to comfortable with declarations like "best in the East" at ANYTHING, but I've become more optimistic that this roster will finally end our status as a perpetual disappointment.

And watching Giovinco play against MLS-calibre defenders continues to be hilarious.

bigredfutbol, DCUSA, shawn12011 and 2 others repped this.
  13. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know he was on the bench thought he was still hurt so it was an unwelcome surprise

sitruc repped this.
  14. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United

Seattle fans will out vote him for one of their players.

Q*bert Jones III and bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll cheer for him when he's wearing red, white and blue not red and white. It's the same thing when Landon Donovan played for LAG

freekickwiz and Winoman repped this.
  16. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes, those were the games I watched before I quit paying attention to TFC games when I could catch them on the tube. Same went for NYCFC and Orlando and the Metro Donkeys (even though their misery brings a grin to face).

shawn12011 repped this.
  17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough; I really thought the rule applied to the GK as well but I'll defer to your judgement.

18. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. A bunch of people cheered for him when he came on. Those people need to stick their heads in a bucket of shit, pronto.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I can only assume those were the people who saw promotions for this game I never saw.

20. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The magic of the internet fed me an ad on this game at blogger hosted site about as far from the topic of soccer as you can get.

It fed this ad...today.

21. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First time the team saw Giovinco, they will make adjustments. I agree with those who say he is the most dangerous attacker in the league right now.
    It was sloppy due to so many tired legs. A fatigued team, they need a break.
    I guess Halsti wasn't played in consideration of his national team. I just hope he becomes first choice after Orlando.
    Doyle started five games in a row? I think Olsen went to that well once to often. Is Aguilar that bad?
    I like Osorio from TFC, I've always liked him. He was a better version of Kitchen on Saturday.
    I think Hamid saves that second goal, possibly the first. Dykstra is fine, though, just not Hamid.

For Orlando:
    Espi, Rolfe
    Pontius, Kitchen, Arnaud, DeLeon
    Birnbaum, Opare, Boswell, Franklin
    Hamid

I think this is what we'll see and I think it has great possibilities for Pontius. With a stay at home like Birnbaum behind him, he can essentially become a third forward, the Pat Noonan role he was born to play. DeLeon does his bit with Franklin being the width on the right and it's a good balance.

Anyway, not scared of TFC and expect three points in Orlando.

tallguy, Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Espindola can do the same thing. He's not as good, but he can win a game on his own.
    Toronto looks very dangerous. And this was basically without Jozy and without Bradley. They're my biggest worry now in the East. NE is also good, but Toronto has the potential to be a lot better.
    There's nothing we can do about how good they could be. We need to get another player in this summer.

JRHokie and Winoman repped this.
  23. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that was it, then why was he on the bench at all?

Winoman repped this.
  24. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    Most of what I want to say has already been said. WTF was up with Franklin's crosses?

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last few games they've been dreadful, to be kind.

Winoman, bigredfutbol and sitruc repped this.