United vs. Dynamo

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Dan Kohner, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ok, has it been announced where United will play on 3/17 against Houston? Last I heard was talk about Navy Marine Corps. Stadium in Annapolis and also the Soccerplex. I thought that MLS had rules on stadium size for regular season MLS games and at 5,200 that falls extremely short for the Soccerplex of what the the league considers acceptable for an MLS game. I also heard that Byrd Stadium at Maryland, M&T Bank Stadium and FedEx Field were out, but never head an explanation as to why those stadiums were out. Anybody know? It is sad that a little more then a month before the season starts and United in usual United fashion does not have a location for the first home match! Does this surprise me, no. Nothing that the FO of United does these days surprises me.

2. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    club picked Soccerplex, MLS said no. currently at an impasse.

pages of recent discussion on it in the off-season thread

3. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not a surprise the FO picked the Soccerplex. They are idiots!

4. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    got ‘em

5. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Our FO could barely manage a NPSL team, they are totally amateurs trying to manage a pro club. Only feasible solution left for that date in the DC area is Bird stadium @ UMD. Other than that,ask the game to be moved a day early / late or to a TBD date and play somewhere else. But it is indeed sad (and worrying) that 47 days before our first home match we don't even know where it will be played, when instead they should be already selling tickets for it.

6. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And I understand that MLS does not want the game to be played at the Soccerplex, OTOH last season NYCFC played a home game at some high school stadium in CT in front of 4K crowd, bcs NYY had to recuperate a game that had been postponed for lightening or something similar

7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Remember now, this management group fully expects people to line up, wait in nervous anticipation, and pay whatever they demand to see their team parody the beautiful game. It's not RFK anymore (motto there's always an empty 10,000 seats, come on down) so stand calmly, keep your sea bag packed, and you'll be told where to go and when to get fleeced. The preceding was posted with extreme sarcasm and utter disdain for management and in no way is directed toward Theopisa who is a good guy

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The United/Dynamo game cannot be played on the 18th because of TV, according to Goff.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, DC United games are going to be on TV this year?

Is the TV station in question worried about actually knowing where the game will be played, or only about it happening on St Patrick's Day?

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  10. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the exact reasons. Just that someone asked Goff on his Facebook page why the United/Dynamo game can't be moved to the 18th, and Goff's only answer was "TV".

11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Are you kidding?
    Well yeah just like the last couple of years on channel 8 in crummy vision or if you have Cox on 1008 in HD full screen. Depending on how they play the full screen HD might be too much information for the sober observer
    As for St Paddy's Day there's a ready made excuse for the no shows who start celebrating at noon sharp ( Dublin time).

Winoman repped this.
  12. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS officially OK'd this game being played at the Soccerplex.

1330 kickoff time on 3/17.

Winoman repped this.
  13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, that is EXTRA early. Alright, have to hope for no ice or excessive rain causing trouble on the Potomac the day before so the Jubal A Early will be running okay that morning :D

Alright Sinclair *spit*; ball's in your court making this telecast work so I can watch it when I get home from the game. TV from there seems like somewhat of a challenge - other outlets have been up to the challenge (for Spirit games), let's see if this bunch can pull it off.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  14. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Did they really mean 1:30 pm? Or did they just mess up posting 3:30 pm?

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    1330 is 1:30 pm. The team wanted a 7pm game.

16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, they really meant 1:30 PM. Sometimes I write things in 24h time to see if people are up on their math.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  17. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I received an email that said STH can opt in to the first two games, if you decide to pass they'll adjust your season ticket cost to reflect two fewer games.

Or maybe they can just give us some chits for free pupusas.

18. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FTFY :)

roadkit, NicktheGreek and pr0ner repped this.
  19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Tickets bought for the true "home opener". I guess plenty of STH have opted out because if there's really 9000 and the Plex only holds 5000 or so...

Thx,

Jay!

Winoman repped this.
  20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can't possibly know yet which STHers have opted out since they have until Tuesday to do it

JayRockers! repped this.
  21. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I have 4 season tickets and I can promise I'm not going to either of the first two games. Probably a lot like me that don't want to drive to Boyds or Annapolis for a game.

roadkit repped this.
  22. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could go to Annapolis and make a day of it, though. There's plenty to do out there, and plenty of good restaurants (I'm already planning a stop at Sin Fronteras...).

Winoman repped this.
  23. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So what happens if only 3,000 STH opt out and 6,000 decide to make the trek to Boyds. Does that mean people like myself (non STH) are screwed because the Soccerplex only holds 5,200?

24. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Also what kind of backroom deal with DC do with MLS to allow this utter garbage to become reality?

25. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Or you could go to Germantown and make a day of it, though. There's a Dollar Tree and a La Casita Pupuseria close by.