United vs. Dynamo

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Dan Kohner, Jan 27, 2018.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly he never played a USOC match at the 'Plex!

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  2. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was not what I was expecting...

Long story short once we got caught on bonehead mistakes 2 zip, what happened after that meant only one thing. From this point on, till 90 minutes is going to define our season.

As we all know, we pulled out a good ending that I could at least be happy with.

Their is a lot in this squad that I actually really like going forward. Sure there is a lot to work on, but the big takeaway from this is they fought for it. Unlike last year there was a definite "I can't believe this is happening" attitude and look in the players eyes. Nothing seemed to work and more importantly I could see in the past the run of play was one of hopelessness.

Today the boys were hungry and they went for it, under crappy circumstances, and they pulled it off. Those fires really need to be lit, and that really needs to get started sooner than later.

Long story shorter... I am optimistic, and the players should be too.

In other news, that ability to exit the parking lot was a complete shambles. Is it always like that? Cause if it is I'll never be going back.

fatbastard repped this.
  3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Actually, getting out of the 'Plex today was the best I've ever experienced. And I stayed for the full 90.

sitruc repped this.
  4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    He paid his dues he deserves to be treated as first division professional, and the soccerplex isn't a first division venue. He is entirely right

Theopisa, ImNumberTen and sitruc repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It always goes better when not being directed by police. People figure it out and allow alternating vehicles eventually. Compared to past events, it wasn't too bad in large part because of the lack of policing.

I have no problem with anything in the DMB tweet. He's right. None of that shit should have happened.

I apologize for wearing a jacket in the first half. I accept all blame for the goals conceded. I took off my jacket at halftime heated from the entire event and play on the field. I didn't put my jacket back on, United scored two goals.

dadman, usadcu and fatbastard repped this.
  6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping that by the middle of the season we will find a way to have Stieber and Arriola on the pitch together, as was true last season. Asad seems to be a fixture at LW, but I think he and Stieber could play side by side in midfield and combine will with Acosta, while Arriola holds down the right side. Would Stieber be a better fit than Segura? And Moreno now has Durkin, as well as Canouse, in his rear view mirror. BTW, I didn't see as much standing around as in our first two matches. When possession changed and we got the ball I saw good, intelligent movement. Encouraging. And More is LB as long as he stays here. Now, can we find a Mora clone to replace NIcky? If Odoi-Atsem improves sufficiently, we would have a very fast lineup - for once.

Winoman and asitis repped this.
  7. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Well that was somewhat pleasing. Typical bone headed start but DCU earned that possession in the 2nd half. Houston pressed us until we beat them 3 times. We didn’t create chances but it did force Cabrera to adjust. I hope Ben realizes he can put his foot on the gas and take some risks. We pushed the fullbacks way up in the 2nd half.

Agree with everyone else on Mora. Durkin looked like Pirlo with some of his rangy passes from deep. If he can consistently do that he’ll force teams to close him down and open up space for Acosta and Segura. He’s earned a start in my book.

I really liked Sieber’s free kicks but he was quiet otherwise. You almost have to start him for those set pieces though. He was darn near perfect. We still got lucky as Houston blew about 2 other good scoring chances. All of Houston’s chances were from blunders in the back.

GumbyG, John L, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Went to the Plex today, it was "Plex cold" and I thanked that the game was not in the evening... The tie at the end was deserved because the players really put everything in to try to grab it; Houston controlled the situation for most of the game but in the end they couldn't keep the fload out. Going back to the first half,the two goals given away - and especially the second one - are at amateur level, if that. I think my 15 years old kids playing for MSI soccer wouldn't make a mistake like that. More in general, our players perhaps are not so bad, but Bennyball is not an acceptable style of playing for MLS, especially considering the much higher level most other teams are playing. And then there is De Leon: always on the field, every game, every minute, always playing like sh*t, I think today he headed out a ball that was possibly going in (in Houston goal's though) - in the last 15 minutes none of his team mates was passing the ball to him anymore. I don't know what we have done so bad in our life to deserve a disgrace like NDL...

Eastern Bear repped this.
  9. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Segura was the key to everything. Finally, someone commanding the ball centrally and keeping it. Now, if he could only put it together in the final third, we've got a player here.
    It was a lucky draw as Manoutas, Wenger and Elis all botched golden opportunities, but the team fought hard and created some of that luck. The point was important but the morale boost probably more so.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Since we saved a point in the last minute, I'll ignore the negatives this week.

Totally agree with everyone on Mora. He brought me more joy in one day than Taylor Kemp has in a year. First thing I noticed about Mora is that he came out in short sleeves. This is a guy who probably hasn't seen anything below 60 Fahrenheit in his life. Meanwhile Stieber wore under armor and gloves. This is a guy that played his whole life in freezing Hungary and Germany. Second thing I noticed is that Mora is an actual defender. He put a body on Alberth Elis from the opening kick. His decision making was solid. He pressed when he had to press and he dropped off to cover the runner when that was necessary. He wasn't really linking with Asad, but what can you expect after a week in practice. He's worth it just for the defense alone.

Another thing we learned today is that Acosta needs to be the 1st name in the starting lineup every week. Not because he had an amazing game. But just because he's the most likely to create something out of nothing, which has value. One thing I'm noticing about Acosta is that he seems to be fitting in finally. He doesn't look as stressed as previous seasons. When he got hacked down a few times in the first half, he didn't lose it. He's communicating more with team mates ... probably because there's a ton of Spanish speakers there now. And he actually did a little dance with a smile on his face after he scored. Can't remember the last time that happened ... if ever.

One piece of constructive criticism? Someone please finish a set piece. Stieber is setting them up perfectly. A modest team from the run of play like DC needs as much help as possible from set pieces.

OK, I lied. I will say one negative thing. Central defense is scary. We've given up 6 goals in 3 games. Not good. That has to improve ASAP because we're not good enough to win high scoring games.

fatbastard, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Right and the Chinese invented fireworks and rockets so aside not getting any further along than that, they were first on the moon.

12. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I give the credit to the players for the fighting spirit in the second half to salvage a point. However, I still think the draw had more to do with Houston dropping back in the second half than with United turning it on. Because of the press in the first half, we had no fullback support going forward, and Stieber would move inside almost every single time, leaving us without wide open outlet and making the field narrow and things easy for Houston defenders.

I have to say, compared to teams we had, at least this looks like a professional team with quality players.

13. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    “Benny Ball” didn’t result in the two goals for Houston. It was two bone-headed plays by defenders. Professional defenders. Defenders who’ve gotten praise here on the board earlier.

14. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    On this day I think it’s fair to say that both mistakes were 100% on Asad and Brilliant and not Ben.

That said, anyone who knows anything about tactics will tell you that the low block Ben likes to play puts amazing levels of pressure on players. The concentration levels required for that style of play are at the top of the spectrum. There are no shields for the back line when you sit back that deep. That’s why it’s usually a desperation tactic. Otherwise, everyone would do it once they got a goal.

Winoman repped this.
  15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I wonder if he was training fighters he'd tell hem to stick their chins out and for God's sake drop your left

16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brillant's brain fart was terrible, to be sure, but I think some of it is due to the fact that he was paired on the play with a brand new LB, Mora. When Brillant made the pass, he was expecting Mora to be within easy distance of him. Unfortunately, Mora had his back turned and was sprinting for the touchline. I don't think you will see that mistake (by Brillant, not Mora) again.

GumbyG repped this.
  17. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I was down at that end, and that clearly is what happened. However, even if Mora had "expected" that pass, it was poorly struck and under the best of circumstances, Mora would have had to scramble just to get a touch on it before a Houston player. So the play was a product of two new players and one, Brillant, making a shitty pass under any circumstances.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  18. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The first half was so bad, the draw felt like a win. Agree that Mora is a big upgrade at LB. Brillant and Asad both had an assist for each team, that is pretty unusual. I don't regret watching from my couch.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dodged a bullet. Arriola not called up, so we won't be losing Stieber and him at the same time. But what about Segura, Moreno, Mattokcs, and Asad?

20. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bennyball is an unacceptable way of playing in 2018 MLS. it's arcaic, it's MLS 1.0 and worst of all it's counterproductive, it brings you to ZERO results or almost. The players are depressed by this way of playing and it shows on the field. You can tell by their faces that they wonder where the heck they ended up. Especially the ones that have played for a higher target recently.
    Since when Olsen has been the coach, (it's going in to its 9th year I believe) we won ONE trophy (the USOC in 2013) and we clinched playoff 3 times, getting eliminated right away. Maybe that's an acceptable record somewhere else, but I think for a club with the history of DC United, the expectations should be higher.

21. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Eastern Bear and United1 repped this.
  22. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nothing

24. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing i gleaned from the article is that DC has a director of soccer something or another and that the team values the work ethic and determination of the Caribbean players over their lack of soccer IQ and believe the can develop (hahahahaha) the tactical know how in the DCU lower division teams.

I doubt that it could pay dividends for them but it is a strategy.

James

25. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Wait, that’s not an Onion article??

Eastern Bear repped this.