United vs. Dynamo

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Dan Kohner, Jan 27, 2018.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll just go to Dogfish Head before the game instead.

onefineesq, Murrdcu and Winoman repped this.
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU and MLS announced the venues and times for United’s Home Away from Home matches on Saturday, March 17 and Saturday, April 14.

United will face Western Conference finalists the Houston Dynamo at the Maryland SoccerPlex in Boyds, MD, on Saturday, March 17 at 1:30 PM ET.

The Black-and-Red will then host the Columbus Crew SC at the United States Naval Academy’s Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, MD, on Saturday, April 14 at 7 PM ET.

https://www.dcunited.com/post/2018/02/01/united-announce-venues-times-march-17-and-april-14-matches

4. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh no worries...I'm fairly certain that Citeh lite will experience the same situation again fairly soon as those Yankees rule the roost

onefineesq repped this.
  6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I’ve already bought my tickets. Do you really think the team would cancel tickets if you aren’t a sth?

Thx,

Jay!

7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I live in Annapolis & think it is a little overrated as a restaurant town but you can never fail at Sin Fronteras.

pr0ner and Winoman repped this.
  8. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I got tickets for the game also. I can't miss a game so close to my home. It is confusing that they are selling single game tickets without knowing how many STH will want to go.

fatbastard repped this.
  9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    If you are eating Bay caught seafood in a place with a softshell crab tank a a cache of oysters off the end of the dock it is.

10. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Assuming you are talking about Annapolis and not the Plex, it shouldn't be a problem with a 30K stadium capacity. I am pretty confident it will be a sellout. DCU should have adopted another strategy, play a few more home games till July 14, and play them a little here a little there, one at the Plex, one in Annapolis, one in Baltimore, one @ UMD (Bird stadium) - maybe also one back at RFK for some sort of revival. That is what I would have done if I was a DCU front office member, but I am not.

11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oy.

Byrd Stadium is a non-starter. Its field is too small.

M&T Bank Stadium is a non-starter. It's undergoing renovations.

RFK is a non-starter. The team moved on from that last year.

12. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Instead the Plex with 5200 spectators for a home opener is satisfactory...

13. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I was talking about the Soccerplex game with only 5200 attendance. I bought 2 tickets. I was really surprised that they would be selling tickets to the public with the capacity so low and demand for the new stadium season tickets a lot more than 5200. I thought the secondary market would have been the only option, but it seems they are not forcing STH to buy these two games, or maybe they are paying for these two games but just not getting tickets for them...

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a genuine cluster********. They are not requiring STHs to attend or pay for the two fake home games.
    However, the STHs had until the end of TODAY to make that decision, so no-one can know how many do or don't want tickets.

Why the tix went on sale to the general public, and remain available, is anyone's guess - but my guess is blatant disregard for their STH fans and general incompetence ;)

MattR, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I didn't realize Germantown had their own version of Rodeo Drive. Is valet parking available?

16. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I think it's also a case of not caring. It's clear the team does not care one iota about the matches at Plex/Annapolis. There does not appear to be a sense of urgency to even sell out the tiny venue. I would have expected a call blitz to season ticket holders if they were concerned. I also suppose they believe the walk ups will take the remaining 2K tickets.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  17. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible they think people from the tournament on site may wander over if they have nothing else to do.

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    walk-ups are my main worry - plus people that want to watch the game without worrying about tickets - you can just stand in the parking lot and watch after all.
    Lots of people may be heading out there with no idea if they can get tix or not and then may or may not stay anyway if they're sold out.
    Add that to the fact that I find it really odd that they didn't sell out and I have no idea what to expect......

19. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Well according to the long range weather forecast, I expect it to be sunny but cool. I also expect leaving the parking lot to be a clusterfcuk of biblical proportions as usual. I also expect to say "WTF Nicky several times during the match." Other than that, my expectations are lower than a snake's belly.

Winoman, fatbastard and sitruc repped this.
  20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nice part of the horrible traffic this time, with the game so early, is that no matter how long it takes to get to the circle, I won't miss the last run of the ferry back to Va :D

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The main SoccerPlex stadium at its peak when it held about 10,000 should be too small for a regular season MLS match. In it's current configuration with a capacity that is about half of that, it should not even be in consideration for a regular season match. People bought season tickets prior to the venue changes. They shouldn't have been told bullshit about what is and isn't included and then needed to be bought. Since the venue was announced it has been clear that the game is not highly thought of by the front office. I would like to follow this up and say the home opener is July 14 and the team is all-in for that, but frankly, they have not done any of the push I have expected to fill Audi Field either. I want to assume the opener will be full, but I'm nowhere near as confident about any other dates. The team is not putting in the minimal amount of work to create some excitement for the venue. Simpson could stand inside an area that's no longer even fenced off (I should know) and talk to a construction worker just to show people some progress. She could detail some upcoming amenities (even if they won't be available to most fans), describe the seating and proximity to Nats Park. It doesn't take much. The team occasionally gives updates based on webcams we all have access to. Nobody is visiting the site. I can understand no flyovers, but it doesn't take much to simply give a new perspective, but there simply isn't anyone around who cares about making the organization anything for fans. I don't get it.

Boloni86, Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Monster cluster-F&$K by the FO and MLS/HQ. MLS insisted on THIS weekend for our first home game. It coulda been any other weekend. And they could have changed this right after the conflicts with the Naval Academy (or any other option) were seen.

Winoman repped this.
  23. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    During riding season, my group uses the ferry when we go out to Leesburg, Harper's Ferry or the like. Always scenic, but is it actually faster than crossing the river up at Point of Rocks when leaving the 'Plex. Just curious.

Winoman repped this.
  24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Agreed. For the last two years or so we've been hearing that the FO's focus was on the new stadium to the detriment on other things. If this is them on focus, I can't imagine what disinterested would look like.

Adler, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  25. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FC Cincy has managed to build nothing into 17k STHs

DC United managed to tear down everything into a franchise that can't sell out a venue that seats 5k people.

Rick77, Boloni86, onefineesq and 4 others repped this.