News: United trade Silva for Saborio

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by rocketeer22, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think dax was as streaky/injury prone. But similar otherwise. Glad we have perry instead of dax though.

2. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Let's start with keeping him and Espi on the field the whole season.

song219 and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Even at his peak, which was a couple of years ago, Saborio* was never the kind of player DeRosario was; a player who could take over a game. He's more likely to wear out defenders over the long haul and then pounce on a mistake. While Kasper has shown a talent in grabbing guys on the downslope of their careers, my enthusiasm is tempered by Sabo's struggle with fitness since he was inured on the eve of the World Cup.

*Can we all agree that Saborio should NEVER be called Sabo?

4. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Remember that in 2012, DeRo was injured playing in some meaningless international the meaningless Canadian team plays. He missed the rest of the regular season and didn't make an appearance until the final game against Houston at RFK when the outcome of the series was no longer in doubt. Pontius carried the load in the final part of 2012 until his hamstring broke in the first Houston match. I wonder how much of DeRo's decline in 2013 was due to the lingering effects of the injury coupled with no Pontius and a cast of -- well a cast of cast-offs.

Hedbal and Winoman repped this.
  5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We hopefully won't need him to take over games. But wearing down defenders and scoring some goals along with some assists would be just fine. Saborio knows how to win too.

6. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    #31 JRHokie, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    As long as we have another credible threat it should help. He needs to stay credible though

7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he's not suspended, he's extremely credible.

dadman repped this.
  8. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I'd be very happy with a pleasant stroll through the playoffs.

Oveki8, JRHokie and dadman repped this.
  9. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Physician, heal thyself!

Oveki8 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  10. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    We don't need a player that can take over a game, would be nice, but what need need is a reliable finisher. So far this season that's been Rolfe and Espindola. Everyone else that we send a good ball into the box that has a goal scoring chance probably only converts it around 30% of the time. If we can't sign a Torres, Lampard, Gerrrard, Pirlo, Drogba or GDS, then get another finisher.

11. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Espindola was aggressive towards a ref. Should be two peas in a pod.

JRHokie repped this.
  12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    A few things regarding this story …

First of all, is it really inappropriate to get wasted at a good friend's wedding? Where I come from it's inappropriate not to embarrassingly wasted at a wedding.

Second of all … who in here can honestly say they've never been on the brink of homicidal rampage on a plane or at an airport? F**k American Airlines … F**k planes in general ...

13. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I'm not too disappointed by this
    But I don't think it elevates is that much. We're still not that good in possession and we don't create many chances. He's going to feed off some scraps and be extremely clinical.

I always felt if we could actually build attacks and create more chances, we'd be fine with what we have.

uploadfromtaptalk1437106914770.png

14. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's keep an eye on Saborio in the Gold Cup. If he gets hot, along with his teammates, Costa Rica could/should make the final against the US. United could be getting an in form player at a great time and ride him down the stretch.

I love this trade because it's Eddie Johnson reincarnate, without the wheels but with the killer mentality. Excited. I'll pencil him in for three goals off of corners right now, and on a team that doesn't give up a lot, that's probably about six points.

Oveki8 repped this.
  15. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You earned a lot more than stripes! Fortunately there were a lot of us to pick up the slack. Of course the down side for you is that it's harder to pretend 2013 never happened.

Oveki8, bigredfutbol and shawn12011 repped this.
  17. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a practical point of view, this trade looks pretty decent on paper. If Silva was going to leave after the year and sign in Mexico, getting something for him out of nothing makes sense. With Saborio also in the last year of his contract, the risk of this deal is pretty minimal after this year.

That being said, I think its pretty clear Saborio isn't the player he once was. I really hope he proves me wrong. The formula of acquiring motivated players from other teams and get the best out of them has been dynamite for Kasper lately. I'm going to hope that's the case here.

18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

19. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You forgot Doyle!.......................sorry that's as long as I could keep a straight face. :D

20. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, Kasper & Olsen have to win now. When the new stadium is built and the team is sold, the new owner may well be motivated to bring on a new management and coaching team that are "his guys." If United wins now, the new owner may let Kasper & Olsen stay on. And, if Kasper & Olsen are forced out into the job market in a few years by the new owner, their winning seasons together will be their calling card.

21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Probably not … although I've seen him a bit this year and it seemed like the drop off has been minimal so far. But after 33 we all know the cliff can be right around the corner at any time. At this point any injury could be the last injury just like De Ro never really recovered from his last major injury even though he tried.

You could argue that DC needs to go out and scout their own Saborio like RSL did 5 years ago when he was in his prime. And like they did again with Jaime who is in his prime now. But we can't and we won't. So considering the fact that our only market is the MLS recycling bin this is probably about the best we could have hoped for.

22. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he did not play yesterday so he should be well rested.

23. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on the Sabo trade! I know a lot of the people on RSL's board are down on him and are glad to see him go, but I think that is a result of misunderstanding the way he plays. A lot of people perceived Sabo as being lazy because he was called offside so often or they didn't think he ran enough, but he's not a striker that is required to run a ton. He's your typical hold-up striker who spends a lot of the game keeping the defense honest by playing off the CB's shoulder. He's got a surprising amount of speed for his age and size, and his strike rate since joining the league has always been in the top of the league. He's struggled this year, but I think that is more due to the lack of service to him. RSL has been playing a lot of balls over the top, but Sabo excels at balls played at his feet or head. I think he's going to fit in nicely with DC, and partnering him up with the familiar face of Espindola may pay some good dividends.

One thing to note is he's not a very open person and doesn't like the media. A lot of people perceive this as not caring, but it stems from the way the media treated him and portrayed him during his playing days with Saprissa. He speaks excellent English, and the interviews he does give are always insightful and good. He was always willing to say hi when I saw him around town.

Good luck the rest of the season. I'm hoping the Silva trade turns out well, but I'm going to miss seeing Sabo in an RSL kit.

24. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    So he's like a Pajoy who gets drunk on commercial flights

25. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    In some ways he sounds a lot like EJ.