PBP: United States vs Trinidad & Tobago; 6/22/19; 8pm ET

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jun 22, 2019.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe in the next Gold Cup we can play all the U23 guys.
    This Gold Cup is apparently to just get the bad taste of losing out of our mouths.
    Hopefully we can keep on winning like we did last night because to me that tastes great no matter how you spin it on a plate.

jnielsen, TOAzer and randomnoise repped this.
  2. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    This is straight silliness.

ayers and superdave repped this.
  3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Ream and Michael Bradley are 31.

Besides them, who out of yesterday's starters would be too old for the 2022 qualifying campaign?

Jozy is 29, Trapp is 26, Lovitz is 27.

I don't understand why Gonzo keeps getting selected. He must have compromising photos.

4. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Maybe because of their ages when the next cycle rolls around and they offer nothing in the way of play now? I get that 31 is not extremely old or anything but if they cant offer anything in their prime years what makes someone think they can in their more waning years.

jnielsen repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I can relate to you. I wanted to replenish the talent as soon as possible. Out with the old and in with the new.
    That said, the manager sees that the veterans have attributes he wants to use right now. Whether or not they keep their roles as the cycle goes on remains to be seen.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that, sure, guys like Sarge could easily have been on this squad, but also, nah, missing out of 15 minutes in a few Gold Cup games will not resonate a whole lot over the next 3 years.

What should happen is USSF should adopt my long-argued plan that they should hold more friendlies in Europe for Europe based players so they aren't so disruptive and we get more of them - but that's just because I like to watch US footie. (And I think it's good to play UEFA teams away as much as possible.)

Mr Martin, gunnerfan7, gogorath and 2 others repped this.
  7. fragmag

fragmag Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jun 22, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird, I don't have one.

TOAzer repped this.
  8. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    They've actually play quite a few already. They played 4 each in 2014, 2015 and 2018. The other years (2016-17) had congested schedules with Gold Cup, Copa America, and Qualifying.

9. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    I think there is a requirement to have either a minimum number of posts or be a member for a certain time before you can rep.

A mod can verify.

10. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh that second one was a clash finish. Absolutely no doubt.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    I completely understand your stance but what can not be undervalued is the time in camp working with the players and getting comfortable on the pitch with them.

How many times last night did we see guys making errant passes in the first half misreading what the player's run was going to be.

Im not harping but one time Pulisic was behind Arriola and looked as if he had no intentions of a making a run at the top of the box as he was dug in and wide open for a couple seconds. The defender had left to go cover the run that never happened and Arriola mis read it and sent the ball forward while Pulisic just sat there looking at him and saying pass it to my feet, im right here at the top corner of the box wide open....

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Those type of things happen to veterans and young players who have not played together much.

I am getting frustrated by Arriola as much as anyone here though. If he does not improve I say just start Boyd on his side and Morris on the other.
    That said, he can shut me up and start playing better too.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd have to find teams that want to play you. With the Nation's League the number of friendly slots has dropped significantly.

I'm all for Camp Cupcake being held in Portugal or North Africa, where you'll find a lot of the big European teams during their winter breaks.

TOAzer, freisland and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  14. fragmag

fragmag Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jun 22, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Appreciate the reply. No clue why I can't see the function, but no worries.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, but between teams getting bounced out of Europe/WC but still wanting to train and teams who make Euro/WC and want to train - I bet you'd have a reasonable chance of getting opponents. Whether you could make it financially viable is another question, but these days you could put together a pretty good squad of players without hardly anyone having to cross the Atlantic.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think Arriola has been ok, but his finishing has just been truly awful - and some of his choices in the box. He's like 9/10th good, but the last 10th is closest to the goal. He starts burying some chances, he looks exponentially better.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yep. That's 12 in what 65-70 months? Not nothing but European teams away are our biggest challenge (in that we are most likely to face a European team in the WC, simply due to numbers, and that they tend to be challenging.) It would be great to play SA and Asian teams away too, but logistically putting together a very viable European-based camp without flying guys across the ocean (or equator) is most easily done in Europe.

Anyway, I no idea if it's financially viable or could be worked out with schedules etc. but it always seemed, if you wanted to get the more marginal bang for you buck in increased international competition, a Euro-based camp/friendly system would get you maximum experience/challenge for least disruption.

18. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    Do you know another team in the western hemisphere that's played more?

19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The expectation that a team dominates for 90 minutes, scores at will, never gives up an opportunity is unrealistic. The idea that bombarding a team for most of the game and then breaking through is not impressive is just kind of silly.

I'm not saying this was a perfect performance -- it wasn't. I'm also not saying T&T is good; they aren't. But even the best teams in the world don't outshoot their opponents 50-0 and score a goal every three minutes. No one ever has 90% possession.

I agree that a 6-0 win over T&T does not mean this team is suddenly better than Mexico or ready to play with the World's Best... but what is the expectation here? 10-0 versus Trinidad with all scores coming in a regular cadence?

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #620 HomietheClown, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    People have to lower their expectations if they are expecting a team like this with many guys who have never played with another & still learning new tactics are going to go out there and dominate from minute one.

Trinidad & Tobago was playing for their lives out there. They did not want to be eliminated this early.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Um... is that rully the metric? Ok, bruh.

So, by my quick, and probably slightly off count, since 2010 Brazil has played:
    2010: Euro opponent in Europe
    2011: 3 Euro opponents in Europe, 1 CAF opponent in Europe
    2012: 3 Euro opponents in Europe, 1 Asian opponent in Europe, 1 CAF in Europe
    2013: 4 Euro opponents in Europe
    2014: 2 Euro Opponents in Europe
    2015: 1 Euro Opponents in Europe, 1 Comembol opponent in Europe
    2016: Brazil had only 3 friendlies in the US as they had WC qualies.
    2017: 2 Euro teams in Europe
    2018: 7 Euro teams in Europe, 2 concacaf, 1 comembol, 1 CAF in Europe (all 15 Brazil games in 2018 were played outside of SA.)
    2019: 1 Euro team in Europe, 1 Comembol team in Europe.
    And, in that same time period they played something like:
    13 games in NA
    4 games in Asia
    2 games in Middle East
    2 in Australia
    1 in Africa
    And that does not count the games against highly ranked Comembol opponents or Euro friendlies in Brazil

But it is all also beside the point. These kind of "oh yeah" responses are so silly. I think I've made it perfectly clear that this is not some scathing indictment of US soccer, but is a place, if finances and scheduling could permit - and I have no idea, as I mentioned, if they could - that we could increase the number of games we play against better opponents away for least disruption. I'm not calling for anyone's head or it, or ranting, or even being particularly aggressive - and the counter is not "it's a bad idea because" or "sure, fine idea but logistics are unworkable" or "we have bigger issues than this, silly man." The answer is "oh yeah, did Ecuador do it?" Sure, that's the way these decisions should be made..."

gunnerfan7 repped this.
  22. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was perfectly struck. Always nice to see a nice hook with the right foot from the left side. And for sure there'd be gushing if a 19 year old did it. Why is that wrong?

I wish I had confidence that Zardes could pull that one off without 5 yards of free space and plenty of time. But it was purdy.

Guinho repped this.
  23. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although it’s an extremely poor example I wouldn’t play my children in a Gold Cup to get them ready for the World Cup.

These things happen for a reason. There is a method to the madness. Sometimes it’s more mad. Sometimes less.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best part of the second goal was the simple move Zardes made just before receiving the ball. He was initially facing the touch line with a clear passing lane but somehow Ariola and him read each other and he turned to face goal where he received the pass. This allowed him to make the touch and set up the shot. Not spectacular, but smart and effective.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Zero!!!

What'd I win?

TOAzer repped this.