Rumor: United States vs Spain; November 2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AutoPenalti, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This is gonna be fun.

[​IMG]

2. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the USA played their last friendly with Spain in Spain (or was it Catalonia ?)

I'd bet they would draw more Spanish-American fans in the USA than Spanish fans in Spain for a (mere) Friendly.

3. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be my lineup.

Altidore
    Bacon — Donovan — Dempsey
    Bradley — Cameron
    Fabian — Besler — Gonzalez — Yedlin​

4. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see Freddy Adu make this friendly, I loved how he embarrassed the Spaniards in there own house and I would really love to see that happen again but this time on home soil that would make my day.

5. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Also, you know, the USA must avoid a two-legged playoff of its own, against New Zealand.

ChrisCastig repped this.
  6. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Interesting. I called this game in the schedule thread a little while ago. If we run the table and break their record, this has the makings of a fabulous friendly. Both teams would be going all out. This game would be a terrific gauge for our chances in the WC.

Also, this game would shut up the doubters about our win streak. Beat Germany, Bosnia and Spain? Yeah, that's legit.

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    #33 cleansheetbsc, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    We played Spain in Foxboro in 2011. Before that we played them in a pre-WC qualifier / pre-Euro in 2008. The '08 match was in Spain. It was part of the @ England/@ Spain/vs. Argentina before we played Barbados.

Back when we played @ Switzerland under Bob, we were scheduled also to play Catalonia on a FIFA date, but FIFA wouldn't sanction the match.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The match should be in Philly. In my opinion the best domestic soccer fan base that did not get an important match this summer/ WC cycle.

COMtnGuy and slitz repped this.
  10. PStevenson1082

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    iting
    Yup.... Jurgen has raised the profile of American soccer. The other federations are starting to respect us... and a few fear us as well. If we perform well from here into the World Cup, we may have an opportunity to win it. It says a LOT when countries like Spain, Brazil and Germany wants to test their WC squad against ours. Better and exciting days ahead if the US continues to perform........

England vs USA on a yearly basis = Bananas

11. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baltimore was only 1 1/2 hrs away, Wash DC is 2 1/2 hours away, Hartford 3 1/2 hours away.

LA has not had a USMNT match this year; neither has St. Louis. Nor has that soccer hotbed Frisco, Texas which is a whole hour's drive away from Jerryworld which should be the permanent host of ALL USMNT soccer matches.... :)

12. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I GUARANTEE Freddy only gets in by buying a ticket.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I hope they play in Chester so the place isn't overrun with away fans. ;)

14. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last 2 games we played at Lincoln Financial actually weren't that bad. Granted one was the WC send off game against Turkey which should attract a ton of fans. The other was against Mexico in Jurgen's first game and if you look at photos the US wasn't all that outnumbered

15. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yeah, I recognize this (assuming both teams are available) will be a money-making friendly and they're likely to try to use the biggest stadium (something like or exactly the Linc) that is easily accessible for the team/players (especially if paired with some other Nov friendly in UEFA).

16. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you Spanish? If you're American and you're wearing a David Villa jesrey I'm going to hunt you down an Kill you!;)

17. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Can I wear it if I promise to root for the US to win? I just love DV. He's so dreamy.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think a west coast venue will be chosen in the middle of Euro League seasons. St. Louis is rumored to be the host for a match next year against Bosnia. Texas has already hosted a few games this year. I think Philly deserves a match but of course it is not up to me to decide.
    The promoters & Federations may want this to be in New York or Miami for all I know.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Sun Life has college football on 11/9 and NFL on 11/17. Might be tough to get a good soccer field in Miami for November.

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I'm not sure where "a good soccer field" fits in the hierarchy of actual needs that the organizers would have for this type of friendly money-maker.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because if a Spanish player gets injured running through a football-caused divot, it's gonna be that much harder to schedule moneyspinners in the future.

Virtus and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  22. ChrisCastig

ChrisCastig Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Wow where can I get this shirt? I need it right now.

23. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    We beat Germany's ass in RFK...bring them to DC!!!

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good point. They could consider the Marlins Stadium downtown but it is probably too small for the Money making aspect of this type of match.

25. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you checked the US Soccer Federation website store?
    http://www.ussoccerstore.com/