PBP: United States vs Mexico; 06/11; 8:30pm ET

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jun 11, 2017.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    From the numbers I have seen in the thread within the Business in media board if you combine the English and Spanish channels there were more views of the USA-Mexico in the USA.
    If you want to argue it that would be the board to do it in.

MuchoTakeItEasy repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, is not an argument.

Game 6 Averages Total Audience Delivery of 7.086 Million Viewers, TV-Only Audience Peaks with Nearly 9.5 Million Viewers

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...final-on-record-without-an-original-six-team/

https://www.sportsnews24.com/nhl-ho...tched-final-record-without-original-six-team/

USA/MEX 6.8 million combined.

Now perhaps the game was also on Univision deportes and that may put the soccer game over the top.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it appears that no, the 4.5 million combines both Univision and UDN. So 6.8 million is the total for the soccer game.

http://corporate.univision.com/corp...2&hootPostID=40b1124f083872823189da38d69fd4f1

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The audience peak for the Hockey match was 9.5 million according to that info.
    The audience peak for FOX +Univision/UDN was more than that according to the business and media board post.

5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The numbers are roughly equal. One was on a major network, one was on a cable channel. One was the deciding championship game. One was a preliminary to the championship; but included the Mexican national team.

It would have been interesting to see what the numbers would be like if it was on the main Fox channel.

If you look at USMNT and USWNT (and probably El Tri) World Cup numbers, they dwarf both of these numbers. The World Cup, which is the Stanley Cup of international soccer, involving US teams has recently been 20+ million average viewers. Better than World Series baseball, Stanley Cup hockey, and just about everything but NFL.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ratings are measured differently according to the company doing the measuring. They have reach, penetration, rating, incidence, and I don't know what other specialized words that sometimes mean all the same, sometimes completely different things.

There's one that is about people engaged in the event for more than N minutes, another for those who tuned in even if it was only for a second, and yet another for all the people the event can potentially reach (i.e., where the channels broadcasting it are available).

That's why the Tour de France, the FIFA World Cup, the Cricket World Cup, the Summer Olympics, the Superbowl and the rugby Six Nations Championship all claim to have the biggest global TV audience; it depends on what method they're using.

7. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Forget the ratings comparison, I'd like to know why soccer and hockey are both ignored by sports media. Even baseball gets little attention. There are basically two seasons of sports coverage-football from July to March and basketball the other three months. If you look at TV ratings, basketball has sunk since the 90's. In terms of favorite sport status, in 2014 basketball was tied with hockey and soccer. I can mention a dozen morning sports shows that won't even mention the Confederations Cup or the Gold Cup this summer but will talk for three hours on the basketball draft or NFL preseason. So of course the ratings will suffer.

8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think you have to think of sports radio with this question,"who still listens to commercial radio." If you contrast that with the question, "who listens to podcasts or streaming services;" you will probably get the answer as to why sports radio is dominated by NFL and NCAA football. The other relevant question, many times, is: "how old and what race is the sports radio host"...

I was once told by a hockey fan, a particularly grumpy one, that hockey is popular enough to get on TV, why would he want it more popular? That would just make it more difficult to get or afford tickets to games.

With the amount of soccer on TV, from what I hear the U.S. has more soccer on TV than almost anywhere, and USSF with plenty of money, it really doesn't need to be any more popular. But we all feel part of the underdog story that is soccer in the USA and we want it to be the most important sport.