PBP: United States vs Chile; 3/26/19; 8pm ET

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Mar 26, 2019.

1. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    You know what may happen, too? Like the last 4 years, MB will drop deep, circulate the ball, pass backwards, not be responsible for anything moving forward, nor anything happening defensively. And the cycle will continue, as he "did his job", and it was Omar's fault for the goals, and Pulisic/Zardes' fault we had no goals. If you have zero responsibility in your job, it's fairly easy to look adequate.

Once again, I'd laugh hysterically if it weren't so depressing.

2. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean they still can

jnielsen repped this.
  3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was Pulisuc and saw this lineup around me, I’d say thanks but no thanks to the GC.

Rest and Chelsea preseason as the USSF just doesn’t take this game seriously.

Gacm32, markandrew78 and yurch10 repped this.
  4. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trotting out mediocre lineups in friendlies wasn't just a Bruce thing

russ repped this.
  5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Anyone drinking a beer with clint dempsey tonight? i'd probably pay good money to hear his opinion, even if it was just a series of grunts.

HeadSpun, Bajoro and felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  6. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Think he's referencing our team of Lions winning the Gold Cup in 2017 over C-team Jamaica, instead of incorporating younger players forcing their way onto the field in Europe. Then riding with those same CHAMPIONS, who possessed loads of experience, right out of the World Cup.

Sam Hamwich repped this.
  7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    No I meant building for the Gold Cup. He methodically played veterans for the gold cup when every other team in the region took a pass. Then for qualies, they played the real matches. It didn't turn out well.

If GGG is building for the gold cup, then he's digging in the wrong place 'cue the indiana jones dance.'

8. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zardes, Bradley and Gonzalez together at last. US soccer is clearly trying to kill off the remnants of its fanbase. I'll take a pass on watching this one.

9. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, I personally care about winning it. It's the only continental cup we've got, and we don't have anything else going on for quite a while.

The off year Gold Cup always draws B teams, which is what Bruce called for the group stages. This tournament is different though

largegarlic repped this.
  10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chile will force the ball to Omar and make him pass it forward.

11. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I also think this is a bad lineup. (How can a back four containing Gonzalez AND Ream be any good?)

However, I will still give him the benefit of the doubt until 1) the team loses and 2) looks bad doing it. So far under Berhalter, they've won games and looked reasonably good doing it, even when I wasn't convinced by his lineup choices.

jnielsen and DHC1 repped this.
  12. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh a similar squad beat Honduras 6-0 and Panama 4-0. The talent was there, and I think the issues with that team were bigger than just Bruce's callups, but that's a different discussion.

Trying to project which young players will pan out 3 and a half years from now is a futile exercise. I'd rather not waste tournaments trying to gamble on it. At a certain point you need to start building an actual team

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Winning has many different varieties. A win in the gold cup might be finding experience for players who need the reps with the senior team.

Tim Ream, Michael Bradley and to a lesser extent Gonzo should never play for the USMNT again. Full stop.

acima and yurch10 repped this.
  14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I think Ream will do fine, I agree on the other two.

DHC1 repped this.
  15. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think this Gold Cup will have much of baring on how good some of our younger players are going to be for Qatar. That will mostly come from their clubs.

16. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't full understand all the hate. This is probably the only chance Gonzo (and maybe Bradley and Ream) are gonna get. Interesting to me that Yedlin is the captain with all these old heads creaking their way into the lineup. Happy to see Roldan and Miazga in, and we haven't seen much of Baird. FW is always thin and after Zardes are a lot of guys who are already much maligned/crocked/unproven

GumbyG repped this.
  17. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I honestly can't believe I am saying this and perhaps it will go on the Gringo Wall of Shame, but I'm probably more excited to see what Tata is going to do tonight than I am with the USMNT. Donkey touch, backpass, hoof and sprint, restart.

18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    This line-up sucks. I want Dave S back! At least we turned the page. The Dutch and the Italians moved on from the core of teams that failed to qualify but here we are trotting out Zardes, Bradley and Gonzo. How the ******** is Cameron stuck in the Wilderness but Mr. I jog to the corner while down a goal is still there.

A midfield triangle with Puli at the top will help the attack but MB will be a worthless shield Puli's passes will be wasted by a front three that are toothless.

[Rant/]

acima and tbonepat11 repped this.
  19. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ream is a mediocre player, but I trust him at LB right now more than a guy like Robinson or Moore

GumbyG repped this.
  20. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    No sense in arguing. You have some kind of agenda. I don't. No one needs to see Ream, Gonzo and Bradley again. No one. It adds no value to the program.

21. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But still, I'd be pissed if I'd paid $100+ for these tickets. If US soccer can stop doing that it would do as much to further the team as the guys on the field...

22. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Bradley vs Vidal

Go grab your popcorns

23. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assure you I don't, I'm just not as quick to panic or call a coach an idiot.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  24. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That thread is still a thing?

25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I didn't do either. I just don't see any purpose in this lineup. I simply can't see the short or long term logic other than perhaps ego.