PBP: United States vs Chile; 3/26/19; 8pm ET

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Mar 26, 2019.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. The vitriol and overreaction in this thread is immense. Chile may be a team in turmoil/decline but they are ranked near the top in the FIFA rankings. They are two-time South American Champs. They played aggressively, unlike the vast majority of CONCACAF Teams... and our squad minus our 2 of our 3 best players drew against them in their 4th game in a new system. How can you indict them already? We have won 3 and tied once under the new regime. I think if you add Sargent and Weah to the front, have a healthy Pulisic and Weston, and move Tyler Adams back to holding Mid-Field then they are the favorites to beat any team in the CONCACAF other than Mexico. Some of you need to slow your roll on this. These are early days. Gold Cup Qualifying is just around the corner. We should know more when those games are in the books. Berhalter was using these friendlies to figure out who to eliminate just as much as who to play moving forward. My goodness... you would think that we got swept out of the building over the last couple of games based on these comments.

Excellency, An Unpaved Road and 2in10 repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Would you mind changing your handle to @glutton4punishment.

3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oddly, that is always what I write in my signatures in my Charger/Padre Forums. I mean, you have to be a glutton for punishment to support those teams and the US National Men's Team.

appwrangler and TimB4Last repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The recent 3-1 Venezuela win against Argentina in Madrid was no fluke. The Venezuelan players, many of whom are in their local league and have not been paid in a while, and look hungry (literally), are playing some beautiful soccer.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy peasy.

The roster is missing most of the younger, exciting players in the pool. Which, if you'll recall, was the one positive taken from the year-long Sarachan regime.

The roster used old, bad leftovers from the 2018 WC failure in its Starting XI. Inexcusably-bad selection.

The team played poorly for 80 minutes, after a positive 10 minutes at the start. Our most effective moments came through counter-attacks and long-balls, not through possession.

What's more, GGG's "system" killed us. Our CB's passed it into the stands or to Chilean players as they were pressured, when perhaps clearing the ball would've been a better idea. But no, they can't do that because GGG wants it played on the ground! Perhaps he shouldn't have picked Omar Gonzalez and Tim Ream if that were the goal! Better leave a top passer in Brooks on the bench!

His subs and tactical adjustments were mediocre at best. We basically "adjusted" by dropping everyone behind the ball and holding on for a draw.

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Venezuelan baseball team is as good as ever, and it's not because their MLB guys are starving.

7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Any thought as to why brooks was on the bench?

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    So we could send him back to Germany in one piece?

DHC1 repped this.
  9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Lol. I was thinking why he wasn’t next to TA on the red eye back to Germany....

TimB4Last repped this.
  10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, this camp is just as much about who won't be on the Gold Cup Squad and who will. Brooks is assured a slot assuming he stays healthy. Berhalter was just trying to see how the others would perform.

Regarding the performance last night... 1) early days in a new system 2) a top 15 FIFA opponent 3) missing 3 of our best players (well, Pulisic scored and played for roughly 30 minutes 4) more talent on the horizon.

All that being said, when you compare our youth movement to some other counties like England, you have to ease your expectations. Not sure we are every going to compete for a World Cup Championship. Getting to quarter finals would be pie-in-the-sky in 2020.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It'd be parallel universe stuff in 2020.

12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Agreed with expectations based upon our players - why are we playing a system that presumes we have best in the world talent?

13. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you presuming that presumption?

14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I can’t tell if this is a serious question but I’ll answer it straight.

The system is model on a possession based attacking system. Such systems are generally only as good as their weakest link.

The key teams that use it (as quoted many times by Pragidealist): Man City, Chelsea and Napoli, all of whom can buy the best players in the world and as Chelsea has shown, can’t pull it off even then.

Who are the lesser talented teams who use a similar system?

15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team was out possessed mightily by Chile but for the most part adapted as they should. Some ill advised trying to play out of the back and through lines at times, but it’s a friendly. It is not just one system and only one system. Nor is it just good ol’ “ go and express yourself”. I am not sure what the angst is about after four games. The coach is working hard at getting players to understand how he wants them to play. It will likely be one way where we can dictate play and another where the opponent is superior. It will take time. It might work, maybe it won’t. I see no problem at the moment. The players seem engaged and the spirit seems good.

16. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Michael Bradley was a traffic cone on defense. When Jermaine Jones was becoming this, he was instantly gone even when he did the same two types of passes that day down in Panama for 2018 WC qualifying.

Bradley continues to get looks after looks after looks after looks after looks after looks after looks. so spoiled.

Canouse, Adams and Morales say Hi!

17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Chris,

Fair enough. What would have to happen for you to think that there’s a problem?

18. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say I agree at all with the Adams at the hybrid roaming right back position at all. He has been one of the best players (easily) at Leipzig over the last 12 games and he is just a baby. From what I have seen, he may be our best overall player... even better than Pulisic. He needs to play holding mid-field long-term. But that hybrid position would only be used against low-block, lower-class CONCACAF teams to avoid draws during qualifying. Berhalter may be playing around with players and their positioning now... but I am hopeful it is going to settle at some point. Listening to Sirius XMFC interviews with the USMNT players before the Equador game and Weston said explicitly that he would rather be the best at being an 8 than be known as being very good at several positions. I agree. Having positional flexibility is nice... but in the end, we want world-class players at their preferred positions. Adams could be a world-class number 5 in the near future.... Berhalter needs to play him there.

Regarding Bradley... not sure why people are so upset. This guy is here for the transition only. No way he is on the club in 2020... he may not even be on the Gold Cup squad. Adams should be the 5 and Trapp should be the other. If we must have a win on the road against an inferior CONCACAF Team who is playing in the low-block.. then perhaps Adams plays the hybrid and Trapp mans the 5.... but I would still rather have Adams at his best position.

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just joining this thread so forgive me for not reading all the previous posts.

What I liked about Bradley was his willingness to track back and provide defensive cover, which has been missing from his game for the USA and in Toronto.

The Berhalter affect may be showing here.

What I didn't like is that he's absolutely useless at it, often being caught on the wrong side of an opponent and diving in to make rash challenges.

Berhalter's advice imo should be, retire quietly from international soccer and focus on TFC.

20. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, I expect we are witnessing the final days of Bradley on the USMNT. We already have two better options at that position. If he is on the Gold Cup Squad at all, it should be in a bench role in case of injury. Adams and Trapp should be playing the 5.

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    It seems pretty clear to me that two things are happening:
    1. MB is being rewarded for his years of service and will get the all-time cap record
    2. WT is being groomed to be the QB that the team is built around. The MB situation is simply to make WT look better by comparison.
    I don't have much a problem with #1 as we should respect the years of service that he's given to our nation but I can't get my mind around #2. Pool player, sure. Maybe gets starts in the first round of qualifying? Ok. In the Hex, NFW is he someone we build around.

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I'd give him enough caps to break the all-time record - primarily via late minutes in friendlies.

23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    What's wrong with Jones keep on holding the record? Has he done something illegal/immoral and doesn't deserve it? If we had somebody like him in Trinidad we would have played in Russia.

appwrangler and TimB4Last repped this.
  24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I love Cobi - his run to the corner vs. Mexico caused their heads to explode. One of my favorite memories as Mexicans fans cried salty tears of "you don't play attractive soccer and still beat us".

Also fondly remember haterade.....

I don't feel strongly wrt MB but can see USSF wanting him to get the record.

25. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I didn't see if someone already posted this or posted a link to it. Apologies in advance if someone already has.

Christian Pulisic, Michael Bradley 7/10 as U.S. battle for draw vs. Chile

Facing the best team yet in the Gregg Berhalter era, the United States weathered a storm of pressure to salvage a 1-1 draw on Tuesday at BBVA Compass Stadium. The game was a significant test of Berhalter's process and will provide plenty of data for the new American boss.

Positives
    With the starting lineup on the field, the United States managed to put together several good attacking moves. The opening goal from Christian Pulisic came from a good touch from Gyasi Zardes, pointing to the possibilities for a full national team with Pulisic playing off a center-forward who is able to consistently bring him into the game. Again, the U.S. had a clear plan from the start of the match, which is in itself another step in the process.

Negatives
    The Americans struggled mightily with Chile's pressure and were largely unable to pass the ball accurately enough to play from back-to-front. Turnovers proliferated, and when the U.S. did attempt to get the ball forward, gaps in behind turned into dangerous Chilean moves. The back line was particularly troubled with clearing danger.

Manager rating out of 10

5 -- For Berhalter, this match was more about bedding in ideas and improving the team's execution than the result. Yet even with that in mind, the result was encouraging. The Americans played on the back foot for most of the evening, but the commitment to the systems the coach has only just installed will help to inform future work. Berhalter rotated through the entire roster over two games, save third goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez.
    • Player ratings (1-10, with 10 the best. Players introduced after 70 minutes get no rating.)

GK Ethan Horvath, 5 -- Was unable to do anything to save Chile's goal. Forced to make just one other reasonably difficult save. Had good and bad moments with distribution, a red flag in Berhalter's system.

DF DeAndre Yedlin, 4 -- Missing on the attacking end, save a single shot when pushed up into the attacking third. Beaten one-on-one early in the second half and in general gave the ball away too easily.

DF Matt Miazga, 4 -- Uncomfortable on the ball and uncomfortable defending for most of the night. Collected 12 defensive interventions while attempting to slow Chile.

DF Omar Gonzalez, 4 -- Part of an American defense that looked ragged and confused defending deep. Missed a handful of passes but did not provide the probing balls out of the back needed to break Chilean lines.

DF Tim Ream, 3 -- Prone to simple mistakes with passing, nearly gifting Chile a goal with a sloppy back pass. Provided a pair of late interventions when the Americans were under pressure.

MF Michael Bradley, 7 -- Excellent all-around, particular with his distribution. Found teammates in dangerous areas, including a pinpoint pass to Baird that should have resulted in a goal.

MF Cristian Roldan, 5 -- Energetic and willing but did not seriously impact the game. Dropped deeper to help defend Chile's midfield. Loose with passing and gave the ball away in midfield traffic several times.

MF Christian Pulisic, 7 --
    Forced off with an injury after just 35 minutes. Vibrant and influential with the Americans on the ball. Clever chip converted breakaway chance to give the U.S. a lead.

FW Paul Arriola, 5 -- Killed a handful of U.S. attacking moves with either poor touch or slow decision-making. Added one or two good moments helping the Americans deal with pressure and contributed defense on the flank.

FW Corey Baird, 5 -- Got into dangerous positions on several occasions but lacked the final product. Given an excellent chance from a Bradley pass late in the first half but couldn't put enough power on the shot.

FW Gyasi Zardes, 6 -- Showed a good first touch and played the pass that sent Pulisic in on goal. Guilty of a poor turnover that led to a Chile chance but was overall one of the better Americans on the night.

Substitutes

MF Sebastian Lletget, 5 --Forced on with short notice because of Pulisic's injury and struggled with the pace of the game. Missed several passes and did not communicate well with teammates.

DF Daniel Lovitz, 4 -- Put in a pair of poor crosses in just over half an hour and looked unsettled by the pace and physicality of Chile when defending.

MF Wil Trapp, NR -- Helped the U.S. grab a modicum of control after coming on in the 66th minute. Missed just a pair of passes.

FW Jordan Morris, NR -- Pressed the ball late in the game in a bid to force a Chilean mistake but was able to touch the ball only twice in a cameo.

FW Jonathan Lewis, NR -- Popped up in good spots in limited time but was let down by a poor touch.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/uni...l-bradley-7-10-as-us-battle-for-draw-vs-chile