Pre-match: United States v Jamaica Gold Cup Final 7/26

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey @orcrist, I guess @gunnerfan7 wasn't watching the same time we were. :p

Seriously, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Mexican midfield look so impotent. I know that wasn't their top selection, still...

2. ipass

ipass Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Have to disagree about Jamaica's skills after watching them play Mexico. Most all the players first touch is better than most all of the US players first touch, not to mention their dribbling and holding skills. Also, their back line regularly chipped the ball to their midfielders, deftly lifting it accurately over the Mexican forwards and midfielders. And their long balls, especially when switching the field were by far better than our back line. Every long ball Omar launches has top spin on it so that the moment it hits the ground there is no way even Pulisic could get to it. Speaking of, I wish Pulisic would spend, maybe even just 30 minutes, teaching Omar how to chip the ball.

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I don't know about you, but when I think of sick soccer skillz, I think of Darren Mattocks.

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    You clearly have never had a good look at either the CAF nor the OFC.

deuteronomy, onefineesq and Dr. Gamera repped this.
  5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Lawrence poses a bit of a threat on the Jamaican left, and he has recovery speed in spades.

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    If Mexico should fail to make the finals of the 2019 Gold Cup then that's exactly what's going to happen, sport.

7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Levi's Stadium is a nice facility, but almost everything about where it's located sucks. It's only convenient to the South Bay, the parking situation is abominable, etc.

8. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are joking here, right? They held the ball up well, partly because they were much larger and more physical then their Mexican counterparts, and partly because they also used the space around them well and put themselves between defenders and the ball.

But the Jamaican team's touch, their dribbling, in close quarters, was abysmal. They had tons of heavy touches that cost them possession, and their successful dribbles were counter-attacks into space, not clustered, technically-impressive, touches in tight spaces. Dribbling around the corner when there's 20 yards of space in front of you is not particularly difficult. But dribbling through the center, through the opposing team, is. Which is why the Jamaicans focused on counters through the open sides of the field, which were particularly devoid of once the Mexican fullbacks and wingers pushed up into the attack.

9. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is paid win games in qualification to get us to the WC and to win games in Russia. That is what he was brought in to do. And to do that he must determine which 23 can be used in the rest of qualifying and in Russia.

Certainly winning games in this tournament has value.
    Certainly winning the trophy has value.
    But don't discount the value of continued player evaluations in matches with no real downside to losing.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lol'd. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

11. Alsatian Sensation

Jun 8, 2017
    US Soccer should build a national stadium and just be done with it.

12. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

13. Alsatian Sensation

Jun 8, 2017
    To stop the bitching

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't mean CONCACAF would use it for Gold Cups.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup.

I think people believe the USSF organizes the Gold Cup.

CONCACAF organizes it and they have one goal. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If anything resembling fairness were to take place, it would be rotated between nations capable of hosting it. But there's the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

16. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really outside the US the only Canada or Mexico would be capable of holding it. Perhaps CR? But the simple fact of the matter is that the only place that will have enough total attendance is the US.

17. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the history of his predictions here, I wouldn't be at all shocked to see a Concacaf team make at least the semis now...

18. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Winoman and Geneva repped this.
  19. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 years ago when we made the final in Chicago without Mexico, we got 58K to show up. Looking at the ticket map, the vast majority of the stadium appears to be sold, and I know a lot of those were Mexico fans who bought early, but still. Most of them probably managed to unload their tickets, or will just show up anyway. Despite what BSMX may lead you to believe, a decent chunk of Mexican-Americans root on both teams.

Magikfute repped this.
  20. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Alejandro and wife. It's going to piss off a shitload of big soccer posters in 11 months when he is named to the 23 going to Russia. Accept it. He's not the flashiest offensively but he reads the game defensively better than any wide playing midfielder in the USA. Ronaldo did almost nothing against the US in Brazil until Bedoya was subbed out. Coaches tend to notice that kind of shit that the twitteristas overlook.

OGx3 repped this.
  21. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I love the fact that the San Francisco 49ers and San Jose Earthquakes stadiums are about a mile from each other, despite the fact that the cities are 45 minutes apart even without traffic (and there's always traffic)

Dolemite repped this.
  22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Howard; Zusi, Gonzalez, Besler, Villafana; Arriola, Bradley, Acosta, Nagbe; Morris, Altidore

cpwilson80 repped this.
  23. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to be interesting, I think Zusi has to stay back. And Arriola is going to be a defacto rb when we don't have the ball. Attack will be flowing down the left and Jamaica (Lawrence in counters) are going to have acres to cut in As Acosta has shown a liability tracking those. Beslers going to be huge, and Omar will have to clean it up a bit with those challenges.

25. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    How is Dempsey not starting this game...