PBP: United States @ Costa Rica; 10:00pm ET; Matchday thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Sep 5, 2013.

1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get your point. I do think there's different ethos in those sports.

But the rule structure is also different and it makes it far less possible for someone to be ejected for that reason. I suspect that if that weapon were closer to hand in those sports, it would be picked up more often.

2. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then maybe we should make the rules structure different for soccer because rules that facilitate this phony, pansy ass, injury faking, play acting BS are inherently flawed.

I love soccer but play acting sickens me.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see simulation subject to review. I'd rather not have anything disrupt the flow of the games, but a set-up like the one that handles dubious goals via a panel looking at them after the game has concluded, where a player who pulls that kind of garbage is actually risking something, might help.

luftmensch and dban repped this.
  4. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100%, post game reviews of play acting only. I think diving would be tough so leave that alone.

Players be on notice that if you hit the floor and start rolling around it will be reviewed and a suspension could be coming your way. If your phony actions cause a yellow or red card for another player, your punishment is the same times 5. If your phony actions were to waste time your suspension is three games.

bungadiri repped this.
  5. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a number of things that could be done to curb simulation:
    1. Require a player that goes to ground and creates a stoppage to leave the field for a significant length of time (5 minutes). This would cut down an time wasting and faking injuries, but it also would prevent the situation with Cambell, where he can lie on the turf moaning until the ref comes over to ask him what happened. (you could refine this rule as well, if it made sense: only in the last 15 minutes of the match... only if your team is leading... etc.)
    2. Post match review and suspensions associated with simulation. This has been done in MLS, but not effectively enough. I think fines are ineffective for this sort of thing. There needs to be suspensions.

dban repped this.
  6. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No, I don't believe that obviously superior talent should be benched because another guy has played better for a game or two. Talent trumps "form," as it's based on a much larger sample. Dempsey nearly nailed the equalizer by making a very Dempsey-esque play. We don't have another player who could have done that.

dban repped this.
  7. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    It would help a lot. If Campbell knew he were much more likely to get suspended for a game or two rather than accomplish anything in the game itself, he'd have obviously had a different calculus.

The reason it won't happen, at least not anytime soon, is FIFA has this idea that St. Kitts and Nevis vs. Antigua and Barbuda should be played with the same rules as the US and Costa Rica. Are those early qualifiers involving small islands even videotaped?

8. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there were ever a time to debate CONCACAF this would be it. A CR gives a caution for an event he does not see which causes the player to miss the next game against his country's team. I doubt you could find many better 'tin foil hat' scenarios for discussion purposes.

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Keep in mind Dempsey was also at fault for the first goal.

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    #1860 Marko72, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    I do love baseball in part for its very simple code of honor: if you pull some crap, you'll get drilled by a 95 mph fastball in your next at-bat. Even if it takes a full season before you face the same team again, you WILL get drilled, and everybody knows it. Them's the rules.

Or in hockey, if you pull some crap, you get your ass kicked by the other team's goon, and if you back down from the goon (forcing your own team's goon onto the ice to protect you), then you're a pariah. Everyone knows it. Them's the rules.

dban repped this.
  11. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we do, and I hope our players don't do it either.

12. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    No, true, but I have seen at least some examples of players in the NFL faking injuries to influence the clock.
    Here is a very recent one (allegedly): http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...erry-jones-thinks-giants-were-faking-injuries

13. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Not only did the CR not see it, but the AR could not have seen it either - making it worse. You can see in the video where the CR consults with his AR, then whips out the card. The AR, therefore, lied to the CR about it, or thought he saw something that wasn't there. Apparently, this is good enough for a card.

14. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the AR thinks he sees is good enough for a card. That's how all cards are given: the official (best case scenario) calls what they think they see. The problem is that, based on the replay, it's hard to imagine what the AR thought he saw, which leads me to believe that he didn't seeing anything, but just assumed the worst. A card should never be issued based on what the CR or AR assumed happened. The blame for this call is on Campbell for faking it and the AR for making the call based an an assumed action rather than a witnessed action.

15. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure there is much difference between someone 'assuming something happened' and someone 'thinking something happened'. They are synonyms.

16. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Thanks for reading my entire post, where I acknowledge that you are correct when I say, "no true, but..." - Just giving some context that there are examples in other sports where faking injuries can happen and are common.

Thanks for being a douche, though.

18. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that as "Not true" instead of "No, true", my mistake.

A little hasty in my reading cause I'm pissed about this.

Sorry about that, your point is valid.

19. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Bosh vs. the Bulls in the Eastern Conference finals:

Boozer had to sit with his second foul so early in the quarter. He ended up fouling out near the end of the game, despite only picking up 5 real fouls and this one.

20. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a HUGE difference between thinking that you saw something happen and assuming something happened by observing the aftermath.

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here is another example. When Boyd got popped in the mouth and layed bleeding in the ground, the ref didn't see anything, he consulted the linesman, who also didn't see the hit, they both concurred that someone hit Boyd. The player that hit him was standing near him but because neither saw it, they didn't go yellow happy on the culprit. Let's face it guys, we are not going to getg any breaks from COCACAF refs, because we are USA, invading their national pastime.

Ghosting repped this.
  22. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    that will be the day football is ruined, i prefer they give sanctions after the game. I know LigaMX and MLS do it and so do other leagues its the best way without interrupting the flow of the game.

23. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I can agree with that in general, but there are times when after the game is way too late.

24. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are splitting hairs. Argue with the dictionary, the words are synonyms. I thought that coffee was hot. I assumed that coffee was hot.

25. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're not smart enough to see that there is a difference and to understand why it is significant, I can't help you.