United States, Canada, Mexico could form combined league after 2026 World Cup - Liga MX chief

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Oct 10, 2018.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina Media (some) thinks every Latin League is below them, they also make fun/light of Liga MX.

Judging a league by what haters may think is not a great way to judge a league.

You also have the opposite, in some Univision shows some commentators use MLS to hate on Liga MX. Some is legit, like when teams in Mexico don't pay players, or talk about how nice MLS/NFL stadiums are, ect.

2. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Come on you are missing the point. Every comparison that is done between MLS and any SA league is hypothetical. Only way to prove MLS real level is by competing and actually winning.

As for the actual soccer specific stadiums, Mexico has better ones. As for NFL stadiums, no one in the world comes even close. And yes, in Mexico and Latin America soccer leagues have not payed players but I am not talking about stadiums or players getting payed, I am talking about the level of competition MLS has.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many also like the no pro/rel, specially after how pro/rel works in Mexico where the highest bidder gets to stay on first division.

When it comes to marketing, finances, many Mexican commentators are jealous of MLS.

In terms of quality of play, there is a split, some see the improvement of MLS as a challenge to LMX, some still see a big gap between the 2.

In terms of comparing, back when LMX used to compete in South America, by Coefficient calculation, they were the 5th or 6th (I can't remember) "best" league in Libertadores, MLS based on Concacaf coefficient would probably rank between 8th or 12th (11 right now is Venezuela, well they are 10th since Mexico does not play there anymore).

One caveat of this, international competition ranks top teams in leagues, not the league overall.

In some leagues (say Liga MX for example) the difference between top teams and bottom teams in a given year is not that huge, in other leagues there are a handful (some only 1) of teams that totally dominate the league.

The latter may score better in international competitions (the same team doing great year after year) while the first more balanced league may not do as well, but it may have a much larger number of teams representing the league at international level.

So it would be debatable what of the 2 leagues are better.

jaykoz3 and oknazevad repped this.
  4. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Jesus Christ! Let me see if I can explain this with one clear example.

Atlanta United was looking at buying Ivan Marcone from Lanus in Argentina. I don't have specifics on his transfer fee or what ATL was willing to pay him. But based on the salary cap (or budget) Marcone was only going to be paid several hundred thousand dollars. More than likely TAM level, not DP, as ATL already had 3DPs. Marcone goes to Mexico with Cruz Azul and ATL settles for Remedi. Marcone>Remidi. Is Remidi good? Sure! But Marcone is better which requires more money. And by the looks of it, ATL is not struggling in the money department. So due to the "rules" most MLS teams have to settle for 3rd best or worst. That is why most MLS teams aren't well built all around and most suffer in defense because there is not enough "budget" to spread it around the whole team.

If you don't see this happening then no wonder people are okay with whatever MLS does. It is this kind of rules that limit MLS from having better built teams thus being held back. There are exceptions though.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As an Atlanta fan and ST holder color me fine with rules that keep the league solvent and inclined to parity. Looking forward to the day when MLS clubs have bigger budgets is great, but one needn't look too far back to see a day when MLS budgets were paltry compared to today. Even now several teams are struggling.

I'm not saying the rules are perfect, but I don't see them as holding Atlanta back as much as I see them as keeping MLS owners grounded and in touch with making the business side of the equation work out.

RafaLarios, AeroNaught, flange and 8 others repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under that logic Barcelona is being held back by FFP rules.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half a dozen teams are being held back. The rest haven't even filled their DP slots. This is from Wikipedia, so there's no guarantee it's accurate.:

3 DPs

Atlanta United
    Columbus Crew
    FC Dallas
    LA Galaxy
    Los Angeles FC
    New York City FC
    Orlando City
    Sporting Kansas City
    Toronto

2 DPs

Chicago Fire
    Colorado Rapids
    D.C. United
    Houston Dynamo
    Minnesota United
    Montreal Impact
    New York Red Bulls
    Philadelphia Union
    Portland Timbers
    Real Salt Lake
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Seattle Sounders
    Vancouver Whitecaps

1 DP

New England Revolution

Would I prefer half a dozen teams to buy themselves the MLS Cup every season, or would I prefer teams with lower payrolls producing a ton of home grown players to remain competitive?

I'd like to see parity maintained as much as possible but a much bigger salary budget.

Namrog The Just and GunnerJacket repped this.
  8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus they are supporter owned, as are Real Madrid, which limits investment possibilities. German clubs also face ownership rules, which limit outside investment.

Bundesliga clubs have another disadvantage. Chelsea have lost €112m in the last two years. In that scenario Bayern Munich would face fines, a transfer embargo and/or have points deducted.

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was written over seven years ago. If the top clubs keep threatening without doing, they become the boy who cried wolf.

I agree. Being okay with how much clubs spend now doesn't mean you don't want clubs to spend more later. It's like a younger person being satisfied with his or her income doesn't mean he or she would be satisfied making that amount ten years later.

10. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Instead of that, how about a pre-season tournament? You know, like the CCL.

11. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Here we go comparing Euro teams with MLS. We don't compete with Europe in any actual tournaments, at least not now. MLS competes with Liga MX and maybe by 2020 will be competing with South Americans. I wish we had at least a quarter of what Barcelona is allowed to spend, for the MLS salary cap.

12. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Finally someone gets it!

I initially said I understand why the salary cap is in place and I also said that it is that same salary cap that limits MLS teams when it comes to International competition. If they aren't willing to take off the salary cap, at least double it so teams can become more competitive and you have the best of both worlds; parity but with more money to build better teams. If MLS weren't competing in CCL or whatever it competes at international level, then yes, a salary cap is good only for league play.

13. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does MLS gain from winning Champions League? What pot of gold will they finally claim that is currently denied them?

oknazevad, jaykoz3 and JasonMa repped this.
  14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Given some job trends I might actually be thrilled to be making what I do in 10 years time. And I'm not exactly living high on the hog, either.

I get what you're saying, but for me MLS is first and foremost competing for its own financial stability and for relevancy amidst the US sporting landscape. They need a sustained presence in order to create a generation of US sports fans that come to recognize and accept the brands of the league and its teams. Neither of those objectives has much, if anything, to do with competing against any foreign leagues. Even the CCL, which would be a nice trophy to claim, is completely secondary compared to working on things like developing academies, building local fan bases, etc. MLS is 22 seasons old, and the first half of those was played at essentially D3 levels.

Which is to say their primary objective is to constantly hone the business model for the league and teams, worrying only about how they look versus each other and as a viable domestic product. Seriously vying for league vs league honors will come later.

The cap is linked to league revenues. You want to double it then find a way to bring more attendees, viewers, and sponsors to the table and I'm confident MLS owners will do what you, and all of us, want.

oknazevad, Namrog The Just and JasonMa repped this.
  15. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Someone on this thread already posted this and according to Wiki MLS is the second highest grossing league in revenue from the Americas. Only beaten by Brazil. And I am sure that will change very soon too and it will become the highest grossing league in revenue in the Americas. The money and infrastructure are there. And as some other poster in this thread posted, MLS usually gets on average 15k fans per game. So if MLS has the revenue and steady increase why are they afraid of significantly raising the cap? I am sure those who have followed MLS for years are aware that with the introduction of TAM, MLS teams got better and started performing better at CCL. Better players started appearing in the league too. So it is no mystery that more money will only lead to better teams.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go not addressing the point...

EvanJ repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its also (likely) the highest league in the Americas in operational expenses (excluding player/coaching salaries).

oknazevad and Namrog The Just repped this.
  18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the point was that different European leagues are "handicapped" by financial constraints. If German clubs were allowed to go on spending binge, like Chelsea or PSG, they'd be more competitive in the UCL. But they're subject to strict financial constraints preventing them from Hong y into debt.

To give a non-European example, the A-League salary cap is $1 million less than the J-League cap.

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    J-League average?

I don't think Japan has a salary cap, unless this is something new.

20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Does the cap correspond to the letter?! Does this mean the Z League has the highest budget?! Does the Z League feature zombies? Do zombies need to be paid at all?

jaykoz3 repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No you're right. Blame Google! :oops:

JasonMa repped this.
  22. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So the point is that MLS should stay with a handicap while competing outside its league? MLS direct competition is Liga MX and soon will be CONMEBOL and they are not "handicapped". No wonder MLS gets embarrassed year after year in CCL. One thing MLS "fans" can't deny is that MLS got more competitive as salary cap increased (introduction of TAM aka more money). Fans can say parity all they want, which is good, but that "parity" doesn't work outside of the league.

And I'll just end it here. My main point or concern, as a fan, is for MLS to be competitive at an international level. Like any fan of any team, you want your team to win. I believe that the salary cap prevents MLS from doing so but as we can see from recent results, it got better as that salary cap increased.

23. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A) That table has incomplete information for Liga MX, so I would not be surprised to see their numbers near or above MLS.
    B) According to the sources the figures showcase essentially all revenues by each team. However there is a huge disparity between, say, the Galaxy and the Rapids. The cap is linked to LEAGUE revenues, so if a team can get a gonzo sponsorship and local TV deal that's great but it doesn't move the league figures.

MLS gets media revenue of about $70-90M per year, plus money from league sponsors. Last I checked it clocked in at about $6-8M per team. So teams get that plus local revenues, but don't forget they have all the overhead costs with running the club and stadiums, too, so it's not like every penny can go to the roster.

Your bottom line is correct, but remember there is a business behind the scenes that is needed to make this whole thing work. They need to set aside reserves for rainy days, they need to pay for marketing, refs, venues and planned venue upgrades, cash for transfers, etc. Academies csn be quite costly, too.

As anyone with a business or a mortgage will tell you there has to be a sound financial strategy behind everything or else you risk losing everything. MLS is literally less than 10 years removed from when many players needed 2nd jobs. In order to ensure this progress continues you make decisions based on the finances of the business, not just what will bring the most CCL trophies. (Especially because the CCL doesn't pay that much. We ain't UEFA.)

So here's my bottom line: Every MLS fan would love to see bigger budgets not only for rosters but also for staff, academies, promotion, venues... you name it. But most importantly we want a solvent league. It's taken a generation of work and investment from a lot of wealthy and generous owners to get us here, and we still have some parties not yet on solid ground. So now is not the time to risk going all in. Celebrate what we have, continue to invest shrewdly, and know that slow growth is still growth.

oknazevad, CeltTexan, flange and 3 others repped this.
  24. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The salary cap is a collective bargaining issue, and increasing it has been a relatively low priority for the players.

flange and JasonMa repped this.
  25. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like an awesome premise for a show.