United States, Canada, Mexico could form combined league after 2026 World Cup - Liga MX chief

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Oct 10, 2018.

1. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    I am not for it. On the other hand, this might be the only way to get the mainstream sports media interested in soccer not from Europe. I see this as a potential media bonanza. The very fact that these discussions are going on proves that LigaMX has accepted the proposition that MLS has closed the gap in quality well enough to make this an interesting prospect.

In fact, the writing might be on the wall for LigaMX, MLS has either closed or that gap is closing quickly and MLS will soon pass it and never again look in its rearview mirror. A combined league might be the only way LigaMX could stay competitive with MLS a decade out from now. According to wiki, the per team revenue for MLS has already surpassed the per team revenue for LigaMX, and the gap is only likely to grow. There is no reason for this from a. LigaMX perspective except the feared loss of percreptiom in quality relative to MLS, which is likely inevitable at this point.

The reason for MLS to do this is that it may be the quickest way to get the average sports fan in this country to perceive MLS as a legit major league in the US and thuis gain mainstream acceptance. This would be the only competition like it in sports. The media bonanza could be huge. The money could be enough to make this happen.

Do I like the idea? Not really. But I do see the appeal for both MLS and LigaMX. Both have something to gain from it. But for MLS it could, theoretically hinder future growth in perception, and they would now be married to perceptions of LigaMX. This far, but no further.

eddygee and STR1 repped this.
  2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    FIFA hasn't had anything to do with the non-existence of a Europa League.

The threat of a league is the leverage the big money making teams use against UEFA to make them regularly reformulate their club competitions to make sure those big teams get an ever-increasing share of the pie.

Or UEFA buys off the big teams to keep them from forming their own league and thereby starving UEFA and the less popular teams and championship teams from countries with poorer broadcast networks of the money-spinning opportunities that come from playing the G-14/19/20/whatever big clubs.

Either perspective it's the same difference, and FIFA isn't involved in the least.

UEFA has continually upped the payout to the big clubs, and it hasn't called their bluff. Any effect a Europa League would have on the domestic leagues - and whether the super clubs would continue to participate in their domestic championships or not - is purely academic at this point.

Short version: FIFA doesn't care what LigaMX and MLS do.

flange, Namrog The Just, STR1 and 2 others repped this.
  3. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Glad you're here cause they won't listen

4. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    If it is another SuperLiga, it's another failed concept.

They either need to go big or go home. Making another secondary competition isn't going to move the needle. The only way this could work is if MLS and LigaMX went all in, and made it the premier soccer league on both sides of the border.

What's the likelihood of that? I dunno. But it's the only way it's going to work.

xbhaskarx and triplet1 repped this.
  5. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The best way for MLS to be taken as a serious league or perceived as a serious league is by winning at international tournaments. For starters winning CCL. But how can they win if they can't taken the training wheels off the league with that stupid salary cap that no other league has? I understand why MLS has the salary cap and it could be justified but it can't do much at international level. It has struggled although we are now starting to see that the higher the salary cap gets, the better the teams are built. MLS has a lot of potential to grow and potential to have very attractive soccer to convert or get new fans. All MLS needs to do is trust on its product and let if grow quicker. Joining Copa Libertadores/Copa Sudamericana could also help with interest here in the states. Would this "league/tournament" help? I am sure it will, granted it will take place after 2026, so at the rate MLS is increasing its salary cap, it should be sufficient enough to make this tournament very appealing.

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we didn't have the salary budget maybe clubs would end up $200 million in debt like Sunderland and Bolton trying to keep up with the big boys, or churn through 63 teams in 16 years like NASL.

But there is no salary cap. MLS teams can spend as much as they want but most choose to spend less than $8 million.

7. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Look at Liga MX and how much they spend. A team like Tigres who is owned by CEMEX has enough cash to buy whoever they want. One big factor that both MLS and Liga MX have though, we are not Europe. The best players will always leave to Europe. You can have as much money like the Chinese, several MLS clubs and several Liga MX clubs, it doesn't mean Messi, Ronaldo etc will go play there or here. As it stands both Liga MX and MLS will get the second best players or players who aren't good enough for Europe just yet from South America. The best players are reserved for Europe. I don't see how an MLS team will get into so much debt when the players that demand so much money will never come here, at least not in their prime. And yes there is a salary cap or budget or name it whatever you want, the point is they are limited, exception being the 3 DPs.

8. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but are you just saying that UEFA is keeping it from happening, rather than FIFA? Isn't UEFA one of the federations that make up FIFA?

If the big teams would make more money by scrapping the Champion's League altogether and forming their own league without the small countries, and they don't do that, and instead compromise on a re-formatted Champion's League that makes them less money than they would make in the Super League, there must be a reason. It seems to me that reason is the politics of UEFA. Otherwise, why do they stop at threats, and not do it already?

Don't the same political considerations come into play in CONCACAF, where there are even more minnows (and more shameless corruption)?

9. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thanks.

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But UEFA is run by the big clubs.

https://www.ecaeurope.com/about-eca/structure/executive-board/

11. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    UEFA != FIFA in any shape form or fashion.

AndyMead repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You know who doesn't treat MLS as a serious league? Fanboys. pro/rel religious nuts.

MLS is treated as a serious league by pretty much everyone involved in playing/coaching/administering professional soccer.

There are no "training wheels". MLS is a first division league. The only one keeping score of "international club titles" are the people that get wrapped up in Boca Juniors or Real Madrid and usually have no clue about the clubs at the bottom of the first division drawing 5k/game in those same leagues - yet they somehow miss that 15k average is now about the bottom of MLS.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    UEFA is not FIFA. And UEFA isn't keeping it from happening by fiat. They're in a tug of war with the big clubs over controlling revenue streams. The clubs threaten to break away and cut UEFA out of control of the big UCL pie. UEFA's threat is the less realistic one of blackballing the clubs and making their players/coaches ineligible for FIFA national team duty.

As UEFA holds the weaker cards, they keep folding and making concessions. The Super League will happen when the clubs are no longer satisfied with the financial concessions made by UEFA. If they day ever comes.

flange and Namrog The Just repped this.
  15. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You are speaking of specific clubs titles, I was speaking of an entire league. And in our area MLS is far behind in that department. I am sure it is not only fanboys or pro/rel fans seeing that. And when the Mexican and Costa Rican media ask when is MLS gonna finally be competitive, I am sure their point of view of "serious" is the same point of view I was trying to get across not the other one you mentioned. And don't get me wrong, it is growing and getting better, but it is still held back.

16. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By what?

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS teams won 6 of 14 matches against Mexican opposition in the last CCL. Just saying.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not unlike MLB in the early days. If that’s the case I’d totally support that.

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thanks on combining league play.

However, SuperLiga was indeed fun. If it can return as Liga MX head honchos recognizing how far MLS has grown since 2008, both on the field of play and financially, than good.

One suggestion on how Super the Liga MX and Don want to go is really go dangle the carrot and recall the InterAmerican trophy. Have the top 4 MLS and top 4 Liga MX clubs play the top 8 clubs from South America. Or as Garber suggested years ago, mimick the bowl games of gridiron and invite in the top 4 European clubs to supplement the South American top 4 invitees. Play this type of SuperLiga tournament in late July and tell the ICC to have fun with their over hyped Summer friendlies.
    4 groups of 4, with matches in South America, Mexico and last group game fixture is in the MLS home ground. So would the knockout rounds be played in the U.S. or Canada. Group winners advance only. Makes the group stage competitive. Two Semi Finals. Cup Final is in Vegas each year. At the new Raiders stadium. What European or South American or Mexican footballer wouldn't want a free trip to Vegas to live it up and play teams you would normally never get to encounter.
    The Euro teams already know how lucrative the North American soccer market is for them to grow their brand. Same for the big South American clubs.
    Again, if their is gonna be some merging of play for MLS and Liga MX clubs then keep our leagues sovereign and as is, just bring back the Summer SuperLiga concept and go all in with a big cash payout to the players.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that the CCL, give or take the odd Costa Rican club?

I don't think the European clubs want their teams to play seriously competitive matches pre-season.

Manchester City played 57 competitive matches last season as is.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The whole idea is MLS/LigaMX - no CONCACAF and no CONMEBOL.

Boston or Vancouver to Mexico City is a long flight (about 6 hours).

Mexico City to Buenos Aires is about 10 hours.

CONCACAF and CONMEBOL won't ever completely merge, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a quadrennial Copa America Centenario in the future.

It's not like anyone is calling for UEFA and AFC (one landmass) or UEFA and CAF (similar geographic distribution as CONCACAF and CONMEBOL) to merge. At some point the distances become a real problem.

There are still occasional calls from within the AFC to kick Australia back to Oceana.

23. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Give Costa Rica is n the MLS rear view mirror, I'm wondering who in their media is excited about it. Similarly, many people were justifying Toronto's success against Mexican teams as some sort of one -off wonder team. If MLS teams can get through the first round and get some games under their belts, they are quite competitive with LigaMx. Takes perception some time to catch up with reality.

24. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Let me just add that Argentina media thinks the same way about MLS; MLS being an inferior league. If any of you know Spanish all you have to do is go to YouTube watch some of the sports programming from Argentina, Mexico and even Costa Rica and see for yourself. I am not making this up. If that doesn't rub you the wrong way for wanting a change and for this country's league to be better than I don't know what will.

As for MLS..... Well, if reports are correct from Uruguay, MLS will be joining Copa Libertadores in 2020. I for one am excited about this news if it is true. It is the only way to compete for the league to get better and it is the best way to prove to other leagues and countries what MLS is made of. MLS might struggle at first but like I have being saying, all MLS needs to do is either get rid of salary cap or at the very minimum double it so it could be competitive at an international level.

I know a bunch of MLS "fans" don't like competition and would rather avoid MLS playing such tournaments just so everything can be kept in house. If it were up to those type of fans, even CCL would be a tournament MLS should not be participating in. For me, Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana, CCL and this "SuperLiga" they are planning are all welcome. The more the merrier. Let MLS worry about which team it is sending to what competition, me as a fan, am ready to enjoy.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing about Mexico, direct flights are hard to get to some cities. Now that is probably the case for most domestic routes outside Airline Hub cities.

But Looking at Boston to Veracruz flights, if you fly a Mexican Airline you can get a 1 stop flight in Mexico city.

with USA Airlines, I am seeing a bunch of 2 stop flights (United has a 1 stop in Houston).

The Many teams are around Mexico city, so probably fly to MEXCity and then catch a short bus to Pachuca, Toluca, ect.

Guadalajara and Monterrey should have a good number of available flights.

Even Columbus to Morelia I see a bunch of 1 stop flights.

So this may not be that big of a problem (as I originally thought). Obviously going thru Customs once or twice per month can get old, players should invest on the Global Pass thing if this happens.