United States, Canada, Mexico could form combined league after 2026 World Cup - Liga MX chief

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Oct 10, 2018.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not to mention responding to a thread that's been dead for two weeks. I mean, at a certain point, just let dead threads die.

oknazevad and JasonMa repped this.
  2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    A few Liga MX matches have fallen below 265k viewers this month as well so I guess they can't work with themselves either.

Burr repped this.
  3. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Don't forget Mexican TV ratings.

4. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Were they playoff games. You can't compare a random fixture to the semifinal. Terrible take.
    It was in my Watched Threads.
    Those data points were irrelevant. You gotta know what metrics to use in an argument.

The claims posters have made here through the years have been falsified. It's trolling at this point to say the gap will close. Hopefully mods won't allow it in the upcoming CCL Thread, it will bring upon the annual shitshow it always does.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I was one of the "the gap will never close" people. A single CCL doesn't prove anything, but at this point I wouldn't be shocked if MLS starts going 50% or higher against Liga MX teams. My prediction: the era of full on Lifa MX dominance is over on the field, and the gate/tv is next.

6. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Well in the future you could set parameters to begin with, perhaps, instead of your usual snarky prodding. I'm not familiar with the Liga MX schedule or structure, so I just looked at games in the same timeframe as the one you cited. But going back to May it looks like the low end of a Mexican semifinal is roughly double the figure you cited. So yeah, definitely better than MLS. Although in the real world I don't think one data point will end any and all forms of synergy between the two leagues. MLS has always struggled with national TV ratings, but it's still grown significantly in other ways.

7. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Oh boy, here vee go agayn.

Ok, tell me the year when the gate/TV dominance ends. This time I'll post it on my profile page so I won't forget. Also, if LMX dominates this year, your first part will be wrong. Yall will have Atl this time, so it will be interesting. Meanwhile, the current 2 MX finalists will wait a whole year to compete.

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    2017 Toronto FC were the most competitive team against a Mexican side.

The jury's still out if that will be the new norm or an anomaly

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Rumor is that MLS Cup got a bigger audience than the Liga MX final. Is the dominance over? ;-)

(Rumor because we are using viewership estimates until final numbers come out, and we are only guessing at the Spanish Language viewership)

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What final? the Clausura 2018 final? game 1 or game 2? combined for both games?

The next one is going to be America vs Cruz Azul, I expect high ratings for that match up.

Probably the second or third best match up for ratings (America vs. Chivas would be #1).

It did beat the Liberatadores second leg.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/12/11/historic-river-boca-final-watched-1-15-million-viewers-us-tv/

11. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
  12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I wonder if that was supposed to say 2.4 million...