Alert: United States announces roster for both Jamaica games JOSH GATT CALLUP

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AutoPenalti, Sep 2, 2012.

1. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    My goodness, Sam, are you way early here!

Donovan is a ripe ol' age of 30. Gatt has played well in exactly ONE decent level match
    (Heerenveen) and played really well in a league that is......well.....not that great.

What your saying makes sense *perhaps* after the 2014 World Cup, but certainly not before.

Gatt's got to demonstrate he can climb the ladder, and Donovan is still in his prime.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Donovan in American soccer's Baby Ruth. His records won't be matched in a LONG time, if ever.

Now, look at the quals: a totally different animal. So far, the Russians are finding the Northern Irish a hard nut to crack, and the other teams visiting are playing mainly defense (Israel, Ireland). That's expected. Smart teams, when they visit in quals, defend first and foremost. Then, according to how things present themselves, they may try something. But first let the other guy get tired. Rumble in the Jungle, rope-a-dope stuff. Let them hit until they tire.

3. Pandy Flapjack

Pandy Flapjack The Pompitous of Love

Aug 30, 2003
    Van by the River
    tonight will be 86F and 74% humidity.... The US most likely plays 4-5-1 with Rasta, Jones & Torres in the middle, and plays the counter attack. Jamaica is going to try to boss the attack from the opening whistle, as long as the US doesn't allow the early goal and keeps them out wide, the Jamaicans will be frustrated and spent by the 70th minute.

4. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    i see donovan as supersub in 2014, he's not the same player he once was, put for 20 minutes atage 32 i trust him..

i'd use cameron and edu at cb as boca lack of pace is one way we get beat

i might start williams as he's more athletic than torres..

boyd for altidore is one of my subs

sitting dempsey and having him come off the bench is an option

as is shea coming on late

5. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I think he was generally pretty consistent last cycle as well. At least as consistent as you could ask for from any USMNT player.

The biggest period of inconsistency probably came during Arena's second cycle and I think extended a bit into the very early part of Bradley's first cycle. At the international level, that probably had something to do with not having a clear and consistent role with the national team, but there was also a sense during that period, at the club level as well, that Donovan would sleepwalk through the season and then turn it on in the playoffs.

Some of that inconsistency has returned in the past year or so, but he's also had more (minor) injury issues recently than at any point in time in the past that I can remember. And considering that he's gone on loan in 3 of the past 4 off-seasons, I'm sure a lot of that has to do with just being worn down at the moment.

6. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sorry, no reports.... just a strong educated guess. I'd go with a similar lineup also.

But I can almost bet my car on Beckerman starting, with jones for sure... and the third CM.... not sure... but my guess when i posted was williams (because of the mexico game), but at this time I change my mind to Edu.

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    then he drops a hatrick vs. Costa Rica in a qualifier.
    It's just time for his two year sabatical/pondering life's questions/hibernation.

8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    You know, I hate saying this, but given the fact that 2 of our best field players are injured, and that the other is playing his first game anywhere since the Guatemala qualifier, plus the weather, plus the horrible pitch conditions according to Jamaican TV a week ago, it really makes sense to me that we simply slow down and manage the game and try to grab it late. The only thing is that out wide is where Jamaica is most dangerous from anyway. Perhaps I'm crazy, but I don't really want to see Clint play until about minute 55 or 60 so that he can go a full 90 on Tuesday. Because on Tues on a decent pitch in Columbus is when/where we really have to stick it to Jamaica.

LouisZ repped this.
  9. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Perhaps the change from Bradley to Klinsmann has been a sort of culture shock for him. Right at a time when his personal stuff had him the least ready for such a shock. I really hope he comes back to form. Donovan's last hurrah. Probably in time for the Hex.

11. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I really think he's just posturing hard for his move to England in January. He's basically telling MLS, my price better be low so I can go finish my career at Everton.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  12. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I might buy you a new keyboard myself.

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  14. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    4411. Let Jozy, Boyd, or Gonzo knock down balls for CD to run onto. See if we can steal a goal and go into a shell.

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I have a similar idea but the other way around. Play something 442ish early on with 2 of Jozy/Gomez/Boyd and sit Clint until about minute 55/60 or so, then try to steal it late.

My thinking is that Clint probably isn't 100% right now (conditioning was never his strong suit to begin with), and I want him for a full 90 in Columbus on Tuesday.

16. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL anyone catch JK being loud and joking around when running around the track(audio picked it up when I think Steve C. was getting interviewed)?

17. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Maybe, but I think with no Donovan, JK wants one of his 2 best on the field. I think you might see him go less than 90 though. Although JK has never been shy about running them into the ground.

18. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Notice the announcer visibly sweating at the end of the clip...

Ironkick14 repped this.
  19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    And here's the U.S. team receiving a visit from motivational speaker Matt Foley... um, I mean Donnie Moore:

SPA2TACU5 and deuteronomy repped this.
  20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been searching but unable to find the recent article written that pointed out exactly what LD did in the last WCQ cycle - it blows the mind, especially in comparison to any other player. That article also highlighted what he's done in important games since WCQ in 2001 - again, it blows the mind, and there are no comparisons to him.

Rumors of his demise and lack of influence on the team are greatly exaggerated. There is no other Donovan - not now and maybe not ever. He is still a very important part of this team. It will be a sad day when he does retire.

21. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the most ridiculous thing I have ever watched. Funny though. If we win tonight, bring him to every game.

22. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Oh my god, I can't stop laughing.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  23. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    The clip included a concise articulation of German playing philosophy that I've read, but never heard from a coach: "We must win our individual battles in a team concept" or something along those lines.

Not very revelatory, but a tidbit that shows you what Klinsmann asks of players and reveals his Krautiness.

24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Next camp will be a puppet show and some arts and crafts lanyard key chains.

25. Pandy Flapjack

Pandy Flapjack The Pompitous of Love

Aug 30, 2003
    Van by the River
    Judging by his track suit I was sure this guy was going to be a Russian.

gmonn repped this.