United players international thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Mar 27, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Good day for Miggy and his Newcastle teammates. All three points in an away win that all but assures another year of Premier League football.

Mabee and Mach1 repped this.
  3. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AJC confirms that Barco will be headed to the U-20 World Cup. Barring an early exit, he'll likely be gone until the middle of June. Who knows in what kind of shape he'll be in.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Ugh... is he available for tomorrow's match?

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barco with 2 goals in the u20 World Cup... one of which, will have to be the goal of the tournament.

Honestly, we should probably consider that he’s going to move on either this summer or winter. After a poor start, he’s red hot right now, and I see the big clubs chasing him down at this point.

If we do sell him, my recommendation for a new DP is to purchase a big and tall CF who can win balls in the air and score with his head.

6. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signs pointing to none of the American players on United getting called up the Gold Cup. Tito wasn't called in by Paraguay either. So it looks like the only other guys going away during the international break will be Romario and Josef. Everyone else gets to stay home.

I am perfectly fine with this development.

VFish and Mabee repped this.
  7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Better than I could have asked for.

8. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina out of the U-20 World Cup in the round of 16, so it looks like Barco will get a chance to come home and rest a bit.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Not that I mind for personally club selfish reasons, but I don't understand why Miles got snubbed.

10. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    Didn’t he only get snubbed for the roster for the first game? Maybe they are just giving him/them rest and time to incorporate into the team since they haven’t been part of a camp and don’t know the system. Pulisic and Adams aren’t on the roster either, but we know they are going to the Gold Cup.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Pulisic and Adams are known commodities. Miles is young and new. If he were going to be part of the potential squad he'd be in camp so Berhalter could get a good look at him.

Mach1 repped this.
  12. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    I guess I am still confused. None of the ATL players made the Jamaica roster, but aren't they still part of the 40 man camp? So they at least get to practice and learn the system which gives them time to impress?

None of the articles I have read indicate that the Jamaica roster (plus Pulisic and Adams) is all that is left in camp. Does anyone have a link that states otherwise?

13. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guys aren't injured, so I don't understand why Berhalter would bring them to camp and not dress them for the game. While they technically could still be on the Gold Cup roster, not being on the squad to face Jamaica is a pretty clear indicator they won't be at the Gold Cup. We'll know for sure tonight (Gold Cup roster deadline).

Guzan was only on the provisional roster in case Steffan got hurt. Steffan needs the games for UK work permit reasons, so he's playing. No reason to bring Brad in to sit on the bench. The other guys were borderline. Which, again, means more rest for them. Woot.

Since Romario isn't on the Jamaica roster for tonight I guess that means he'll be staying home too. On one hand the Gold Cup games would have been good for him, but we'll play a few games without Josef, and Romario is the backup for Josef, so I'm glad he'll be staying too.

14. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    I actually assumed Brad was being brought in TO sit the bench. Even during the debacle 2 years ago, Brad was one of the few people cheering and showing passion from the bench. I figured Berhalter would have brought him in for the guidance and experience, not necessarily to play.

15. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this was the World Cup or even just a qualifier, sure. Gold Cup? Eh. Better to give that slot a newbie to give them some experience with tournament soccer when the stakes are low.

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  18. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More and more I'm glad no United players are with the USMNT. It's a dumpster fire. All they're going to accomplish is getting Pulisic hacked at every game since he'll be the only player on the field that can do anything. Hopefully he'll be healthy when get gets to Chelsea.

The U-23s are having a camp and they didn't even call Miles in. Really? He's not one of your best U-23 CBs?

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Josef scored yesterday in 3-1 win over Bolivia to Venezuela advance from the group stage. He's been mostly a sub for the team this summer given Rondon's form but nice to see him make his mark.

20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    While I won't call the MNT a dumpster fire I do agree it's got a long way to go. That being said, Berhalter inherited a mess and anyone shy of Guardiola was going to need time. Plus, it's not like the 40 man roster is thick with talent. It wasn't coaching alone that cost them a spot in Russia.

As for Miles not making the U23's, I got no explaination. If he keeps up this form, however, he'll get his shot.

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Venezuela out of Copa America with today's loss to Argentina. Doubt Josef will be ready by the 10th but who knows. At the least he's now free from international duty.

22. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miles and Brad (for some reason) called up to the national team. Sounds like Darlington was asked and he declined.

I would have preferred if no one got called up. The guys need their rest.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I kind of admire Nagbe. While it is an honor to be called up the national team, he has been called up as an after thought before... so saying 'thanks but no thanks' makes sense at this point in his career.

Miles is a different story. This is a massive step up for him and a chance to prove himself on a bigger stage. For all this talk about buying and selling (Auria) here is a chance. We plucked this guy out of nothing and Tata wouldn't play him, yet now he has grown into our most indispensable player. That backline would be a complete mess without him.

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Miles has been fantastic, and is young enough to do double duty with this NT stuff. Just don't get hurt. Agree with Nagbe saving himself. Can't say how Miles would have done a year ago in that rotation of Bello and Ambrose (and Hernandez? Can't recall how much time he got) in Garza's injury absence, but he's clearly better than Ambrose now, in the middle or the outside. If LGP would grow tf up a bit, he could replace Parky (who is probably going to step down or see a limited role next season) in a 3-man back line.

25. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Open Cup on the line, a fresh body needed to shore up at center back, and Parky on the bench, FdB chose.... Larentowicz.

I love Michael Parkhurst, and he'll always be the captain that brought home the first MLS Cup, but I think he might be done. Maybe his time playing FB earlier this season has already killed his legs. With the team playing 3 in the back, and every man on the back line needing to be able to keep up in one on one situations, that's not something Parky can do anymore. He's still the smartest one back there, but physically I'm not sure he can handle the way this team is playing. They already forced him to take a paycut this year. I would not be surprised if they don't resign him for next year.

He seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I could see the team attempting to sign him for the front office.

Eleven Bravo and Auriaprottu repped this.