PBP: United Pisses on The Fire; Volume I

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Oct 5, 2018.

1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday October 7th
    1:00 PM
    ESPN
    Buzzard Point

DC United:
    38 points from 29 games (7th in E)
    Chicago:
    31 points from 31 games (10th in E)

[​IMG]
    (baby fire skink)

I consider this another must-win game and also could see this as a classic trap game (not as trappy as Volume 2 in 3 weeks) - we have a bad habit of playing down to the opponent or not taking "weaker" opponents seriously.

Interesting choices for how we will compensate for Fisher's absence. Will it be Arriola moving back and Steiber plugging into the midfield; will it be Ellis (ex-Chicago, dumped unceremoniously); will it be the glorious return of NDL from injury ... etc.

I say:

United: 3
    Fahr: 1

dadman, marks7mb and Winoman repped this.
  2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Ben's always been a fan of using spurned players to exact revenge on their old team. I expect Eliis will fill that RB hole.

3. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a chance to use Arriola there against Montreal and we didn't. Maybe we make a late game offensive sub for Ellis...but I think he probably starts. Boring, right? :)

Boloni86 repped this.
  4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    dadman, Eastern Bear, GumbyG and 2 others repped this.
  5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    3-1 for the Good Guys. We gotta keep winning. Philly and Montreal won last night. We have to keep pace.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid; Arriola, Birnbaum, Brillant, Mora; Canouse, Moreno; Asad, Acosta, Segura, Rooney. (Arriola replaces injured Fisher at right back)

From Goff.

I

Winoman repped this.
  7. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just re watched the Acosta “foul” that took away the goal. It is a total BS call. The defender initiated contact and used his arm to hold Acosta back. Acosta then used his arm to knock off the defenders grasp. The defender dove to the ground. No way that was a foul.

8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    First ten rows of the supporters section rooted to their seats in the crowd shot. Sad.

9. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Segura not having his best match.

Boloni86 repped this.
  10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They both had their hands on each other. That should have been "play on - goal!"

Boloni86 repped this.
  11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defense looked like it was going to collapse near the 60 minute mark, but managed to hang on. Nice comeback with goals by Senor Wayne.

asitis repped this.
  12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Which was the call Elfath made in real time. It’s not like he missed it. He rejudged it. If we’re going to rely on VAR to make every call from the skies, why bother having a ref at all? Just put a guy out there who blows a whistle and points. Make all the calls from the Toronto War Room.

Thx,

Jay!

Funkfoot, asitis and Winoman repped this.
  13. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great body positioning by Moreno to draw the penalty.

Love that we don’t give up when down.

Heist and Winoman repped this.
  14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Or a stern lecture with a time out. Not the way it's done in either instance

15. Streetlight

Streetlight New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were probably doing the chant where everyone sits then jumps up

16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JayRockers! criticizing the fans in attendance while at home. Sad!

sitruc and Theopisa repped this.
  17. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Well that was .... interesting. Hotter than shit at AF, felt like July, can't imagine how the players coped. Rooney had his socks pulled down as far as legally possible by the end.

I understand putting Arriola at RB over Ellis. However, that led to a much more static DCU attack. It's Arriola's overlaps that really disrupt other teams' shapes. Today, Arriola sat back a great deal and it was Mora who provided width on the left. Both Asad and Segura tended to pinch in, allowing Chicago to jam the passing lanes in the middle. That was coupled with some less than energetic movement from any of Asad, Segura or Stieber. Canouse and Moreno were quite good, as usual, but the movement up top was less than stellar. Credit Señor Wayne for hustling to score the first goal and big props to Moreno to keep running and get body position on Kappelhoff to draw the PK.

I felt this was a trap game. It almost was, but in the end, a win, more pressure on Montreal and next Saturday is huge.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  18. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly isn't relevant anymore.

19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume Elfath didn't see the play in real time. Maybe seeing the replay now that I'm home will change my mind. I don't remember seeing the play on signal. I haven't seen the replay yet, but I did notice Acosta standing and using the open space to set up the goal. It was a really nice play by Senor Wayne to fake and then shoot in the exact right place. Too bad it was called back.

20. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Did they get rid of the clear bag rule? When they do that, me and so many others will be filling those empty seats you see around you.

Thx,

Jay!

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They coped by doing a lot of standing. I was in the shade, but it was pretty hot even there...
    We were pretty lucky to walk out of there with three points. Acosta seemed tired both mentally and physically all game.
    Good fight to get the full 3 points.
    Chicago just kept a LOT of guys behind the ball, so they were tough to break down with so much heat.

Winoman repped this.
  22. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It almost happened. Maybe the heat, maybe the time of the day, maybe some involuntary relaxation for playing an opponent who is out of hope (NOTE: and who has nothing to lose), but we did not play well today and if Fire had tied they wouldn't have stolen anything. Last season we would have lost this game. If we managed to win a game like this, it's a good sign.

23. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is the last 1PM game I am going to go to if it's not march or november. I was hoping for the sun to come after the game ended, but it came about 15 minutes in - I had it on my face the whole game and I still feel it.

24. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anyway, regardless of they were taken, these are 3 golden points. Next game we have Dallas, I honestly don't think we'll win it, but I thought the same about the game vs Atlanta, so we shall see. I will be not there unfortunately.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Montreal (+2 points above us) has 2 games left, home with TFC and away to NE (which is virtually eliminated). We can predict at least 4 points, maybe 6.

Columbus (which is 7 points above us, so in theory still reachable) plays away to Orlando and then home vs Minnesota. We can predict 6 points, worst case scenario 4.

So, it's important for us to make at least 8 points in the last 4 games to make almost sure Montreal is reachable even if they do six points, our GD at the moment is +6, their is -7, that is a pretty good gap, it doesn't make us sure 100% but almost.

To catch Columbus, we have to make at least 10 points, and hope that they don't make more than 3 (in this case at the moment the goal difference is still favorable to us), or we make 12 points and hope that they don't make more than 4. Either way, very difficult.

dadman, Streetlight and Winoman repped this.