United @ Fake United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Murrdcu, Jul 23, 2017.

?

How many goals will D.C. United concede this game?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2017.
  1. 0, is Bill back?!

16.0%
  2. 1

4.0%
  3. 2

32.0%
  4. 3

28.0%
  5. 4

16.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 6+

4.0%
  1. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That was amazing. I mean, just amazing. 4-0 to an expansion side -- I don't care if it's in their building. I don't know if I could come up with a more clear sign that the players don't want to play under this coach than that 2nd half effort.

The good: Mullins was back. Should have done better with at least one of his chances, but it was nice to see him back out there. Same with DeLeon.

The bad: If Acosta and Harkes are out for anything resembling extended periods, then I'm struggling to come up with a reason to watch. (Even if he isn't out, though, Acosta couldn't have mailed that effort in any harder.)

DCUSA repped this.
  2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Acosta's been mailing it in for at least a month or two. There was an opportunity to harness his skills by building a team around him. But we didn't. He realized long ago that there was nothing for him on this team. At this point for the sake of his career, he should ask for a transfer at the end of season. I can see him being on the radar of Liga MX or back home in Argentina. Hopefully a transfer fee over $500K.

Eastern Bear and Winoman repped this.
  3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and Bill Hamid needs to get the hell out of town, as fast as he can go. I'd hate to see him turn to shit by staying in DC. He should demand a transfer tomorrow.

Theopisa repped this.
  4. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Not to sound like a braggart but I had a 3 way going among the Barca-Madrid Classico, Miami FC -Cosmos and Shit and Shinola in Minnesota broadcasts. A meal of lobster, filet and a dirty brown bag of Mogen David

shawn12011 repped this.
  6. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If DC United had a Ring of Shame -- reserved for members of the organization who have done the most harm, or performed the worst -- Ben Olsen's name would be on it twice.

JRHokie repped this.
  7. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Mr. Levien, Commissioner Don Garber on Line 2.

Uhhh, put him through.

[nervously collects himself] Mr. Commissioner-- great to hear from you.

What the hell was that going on up in Minnesota? That was the biggest pile of [bleeping] [bleep] I think I've ever seen. That was a complete Gong Show. Are you guys tanking to get the #1 pick ahead of LAFC? Don't bother-- it's yours already.

No, Mr. Commish, it's not like that at all . . .

I just , . . can't . . . [bleep] . . . integrity of the League . . . [bleeping] [bleep]. .. .

Sir, you're breaking up, sir . . .

[bleeping] [bleep] . .

Phone disconnects

8. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be back one more time – the final game against NYRB, but that will be to honor RFK, not the team.

shawn12011 and NicktheGreek repped this.
  9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    How could they be embarrassed any further? Even making the Freaks of Walmart pages wouldn't bother these fools. They can sell seats to this cluster boff for $175,00 a game so all they do is give daily thanks to PT Barnum for the business plan, and care less about anything else.

10. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As I wrote before, soon it will be time that Ben Olsen will be remember for his failure as a coach than for his greatness (not sure if this word exists) as a player. I am sure this is already happening among young fans, who haven't seen or don't remember much about the Ben Olsen player. He should refuse to be part of this farse, and resign, at least his icon image wouldn't be (as) compromised. But at this point I'm not sure he really cares either. I'll go strong here:
    IF BEN OLSEN REALLY LOVED DC UNITED, HE WOULD QUIT

roadkit and Eastern Bear repped this.
  11. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your assertion that this highly competitive man – and anyone who ever saw him play knows that he is – should just quit from the club where he spent nearly his entire professional career is completely unrealistic. A fierce competitor always thinks he can turn it around and won't stop trying.

Whether or not he can is a different matter entirely.

fatbastard, Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  12. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #112 shammypants, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    He doesn't seem like a fierce competitor to me as a coach.

JRHokie, Boloni86, Eastern Bear and 2 others repped this.
  13. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Bezos, briefly America's richest man, recently went on Facebook asking for suggestions as to where he could apply his wealth in a charitable cause. The answer is crystal clear: Buy DC United, invest bazillions in great players, and save thousands of United fans from depression, ill health, and suicidal thoughts that come with being associated with a cheap, failing enterprise.

grumpydcu, sitruc, griffin1108 and 4 others repped this.
  14. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You must be in your thirties or forties - as I am - how much of Ben Olsen do you think young people know? Say in their early twenties or so? How much about Moreno? Etcheverry? Yes sure, they heard about them, maybe they even saw some of them playing, but their perception is the present one, not the "fierce competitor" one. Even mine almost is, and I have been coming to games for the last twenty years (I moved to the US in 98)

15. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even Paolo Maldini spent his entire carreer at Milan, but after he retired he prefered not to join the club management, he saw that the FO was going downhill and losing pieces, and decided not to join the farce. And I wouldn't say Maldini was not a fierce competitor, allow me.

16. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #116 roadkit, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    My guess is his decision to not quit is more about him not wanting to give up a fat salary without knowing where your next -- likely much, much, smaller -- paycheck is coming from.

Actually, his next paycheck would come from DC United, since his contract essentially guarantees he'll stay with the team in some capacity. Maybe he could become a season ticket coordinator or something. Show up at tailgates, tell war stories from the glory days, etc.

You know, shit he'd be good at and is qualified for.

17. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Early 50's!

But I wasn't addressing what younger fans know of his playing days (and you're surely right about that – not much), just rather just how realistic it is to think Ben would quit of his own free will. I just can't see it. The are plenty of legit criticisms to be leveled at him but lack of competitive fire is not one of them.

Winoman repped this.
  18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I ask one simple question. Is Ben Olsen resigning going to cause Marcello to get closer than 10 yards to the man who he is marking?

..................................funny all I hear is silence............................

19. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    After spending the night reloading a Styxx concert in an outdoor stadium drinking wine in 96 degree weather 120% freaking humidity and almost no wind, I came home to watch the match replay on MLSLive....but saw the freaking score.

I decided to watch the game to look for positives:
    1. What can Brown do for you? He delivers the package to the house, rings the door and then runs off with the package. He created plenty of scoring chances, just didn't convert.
    2. NDL was covering for everyone. He went from wing to central mid to gosh knows where in second half covering for injuries to Acosta and Harkes.
    3. DM is number one priority. No support during the counters from our offensive set pieces that lead to 100 yard counter attacks. Good thing is Jeffery got on the scoreboard. :thumbsup:

It doesn't matter who the Head coach is, this squad just can't finish with its personnel

dcu n bntwn repped this.
  20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually...as long as Ashton is dumped and a new coach brings in a tactician (if they don't have that skillset) I'm fairly certain Marcelo will be gone.

james

shawn12011, Eastern Bear and Winoman repped this.
  21. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simplistic and disingenuous, but you know that. Olsen resigning doesn't mean United never gives up another goal.

If you're suggesting no coach could improve upon this product, that's ludicrous. Of course they could, though there are no guarantees. I mean, who the hell is Brian Schmetzer? That's right, he's the guy who took over from one of the top five American coaches ever in Sigi Schmid, turned around a basement dweller and took them to the top. Schmid won NCAA championships and MLS cups, even one with Columbus! Schmetzer can't hold a candle up to Sigi's accolades yet he did what Sigi couldn't. A different voice, a different perspective, it can make all the difference, even if it's not a sure thing.
    Keeping Olsen seems the wackadoo POV to me, not moving in another direction. They actually couldn't be worse with someone slamming beers and passing out on the bench ala Buttermaker.

JRHokie, song219 and Theopisa repped this.
  22. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it wouldn't. But then again, he probably wouldn't be dressing for games either. Neither would Neagle. Or any other player who is mailing it in.

shawn12011 repped this.
  23. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That was really frustrating.

On one end, you have Hamid beaten on the near post (admittedly on an unmarked blast from about 8 yards out) and the Jeffrey own goal.

On the other end, multiple squandered chances.

There were at least four clear chances: Brown 1v1 with the keeper, the nice cut inside the box by NDL, the Franklin header with the keeper out of goal/off his line, and the Brown header in the second half (after the flick on header by, was it Birnbaum?).

DCU also had many other half chances. They must have had at least twice the shot total of MinnU.

Somebody has put a root on our guys. We need an exorcist or something.

Painful to watch.

24. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear what you are saying, and I am not necessarily defending Olsen.

However, right now Marcelo and Jeffrey are the best players that we have at DM. In their current form, neither should be starting in MLS. Olsen needs better players to choose from.

Hell, it's great that Harkes is getting better and he is a player for the future. However, I'm not convinced that he is consistent enough to be a regular MLS starter for a team that pretends to have playoff aspirations.

Many on these boards have been howling, begging, pleading for upgrades even before the transfer window opened. This team needs better players, starting with DM and winger. Yet, there have been no such signings. Is that Olsen's fault? I really don't know.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry no other coach could succeed with this roster. You cannot convince me of that. These guys are making rudimentary mistakes. That's not bad coaching that's bad players.

Q*bert Jones III and dcu n bntwn repped this.