United @ Crew

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by roachclip76, Mar 20, 2018.

1. roachclip76

roachclip76 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    ok I’m impatient....who is starting?

Mattocks
    Asad-Acosta-Arriola
    Harkes and Moreno
    Mora-Brillant-Birnbaum-DeLeon
    Ousted

I wonder if they don’t shift the lineup...maybe run 4-3-3? 4-4-2? Only because if any of the A-team (yeah I’m stealing it) has to come out you gotta run a different formation right?

I’d like to see Durkin in the whole game just to see or even 70 min.

I wouldn’t mind seeing 2 strikers either but maybe just at the end if they need it.

Thoughts?

Winoman repped this.
  2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    This is where that midfield depth pays off. Missing Segura and Stieber, and looking at that lineup, there isn't a big drop off. A little thinner on the bench, but you still have some interesting options with Mullins and Durkin.

The bigger worry is the defense. They need to get it together because otherwise the lack of confidence will become a habit.

Winoman repped this.
  3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Olsen(Emily) tweeted that Moreno is out for a few weeks with a hamstring injury. Looks like Durkin and Harkes on Saturday.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  4. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I guess the upside is only Mora is a candidate to get a call up. <sigh>

5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he didn't look good when he came off for Durkin at the Plex.

sitruc repped this.
  6. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to say it'll come down to either using Mullins in a 442 or Harkes in a 4141, but it might be Jeffrey in a 4231.:eek:

7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    So much for that new trainer. Let's see if the few weeks turns out to be a few months

8. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No chance we can bring Miranda up due to international slot issues, or is there? The bench on this one will be awfully thin.

JayRockers! repped this.
  9. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Isn't he with Bolivia anyway?

UnitedBorn, ElApacheTevez and GumbyG repped this.
  10. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd like to see Opare for Brillant. Bonehead moves deserve a benching.

And I'd like to see just about anyone in for NDL but that's a long standing weekly comment. I again watched the game specifically for his decision making, first touch - essentially everything he can bring. He again under performed, had terrible give aways, missed a sitter, and remains our biggest liability. Hell I'd rather see Kemp play right back OR keep Brillant in and try Opare as an outside back.

garbaggio and John L repped this.
  11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="Petworth Posse, post: 36434854, member: 142109"]I'd like to see Opare for Brillant. Bonehead moves deserve a benching.

And I'd like to see just about anyone in for NDL but that's a long standing weekly comment. I again watched the game specifically for his decision making, first touch - essentially everything he can bring. He again under performed, had terrible give aways, missed a sitter, and remains our biggest liability. Hell I'd rather see Kemp play right back OR keep Brillant in and try Opare as an outside back.[/QUOTE]

Are you trying to lose???

12. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brilliant's brought some stability to the back line, but he hasn't been outstanding individually. That said it seems as though Brilliant + Birnbaum > Birnbaum + Opare.

Brilliant's "bonehead move" was actually a miscommunication with a brand new player. Asad's header back into the mixing bowl was a bonehead move. Unfortunately, we can't sit him this week. I'm sure we'll get around to it next week. ;)

Kemp is back? NDL is a limited player, but he keeps possession, which is critical to our endeavor this year. I'd be willing to give OA a look again. He's faster and a better one-on-one defender. Might not be a bad idea to start NDL on the bench in case we need fresh legs at RB, LB, RW, LW, 8 (and by extension the 10).

dadman, Winoman and Don't Tread on Me repped this.
  13. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you - brain fart!

How many players do we have on this roster that have gotten callups for their country? 12?

14. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's too new to recognize we're more of a sports hernia team.

dadman, Winoman, GumbyG and 1 other person repped this.
  15. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diversification is the key to building a strong team.

16. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    This would be a good week to keep De Leon on the bench in favor of Odoi Atsem. Our midfield depth will be really thin, so having a utility guy like De Leon might come in handy. Otherwise your next best midfield option off the bench will be Jared Jeffrey.

Winoman and Petworth Posse repped this.
  17. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand, but I think Nicky starts at RB:( but might move to either wing if/when Arriola or Asad tire, at which time Odoi-Atsem could enter and give us fresh (and very fast) legs. Unlike many of you, I don't think Jeffrey is a total waste. Having been off the pitch for so long, he would come on trying his best to make a positive impression.

fatbastard, Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  18. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben likes Nick. Nick is probably the player Ben seems himself in on the team. He is going to run his ass off for 90+ minutes and give his full effort. He may not be the most talented but you get everything you ask him to do.

James

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  19. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I bet you could come up with a good excuse like that every week. ;-)

20. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

I agree that that is what Olsen is probably thinking. But thats not the best way to pick your starters or primary subs.

21. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Normal amounts of scorn for the Cows. But feel bad for the fans. The new owner (and you thought ours are the worst) is lobbying for a quick move to the money crowds in Texas.

22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    As long as those things don't include play intelligently.

23. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    So what you're saying is that Bennie asks him to sail balls over the cross bar and miss sitters, have a god awful first touch, and commit the most unforced giveaways on the team? If that's what it means to get everything you ask him to do, no thanks. I forgot about Odoi-Otsem. He should start for sure this week. At least give him the opportunity to develop. It's clear NDL has had every opportunity - and then some - but hasn't developed beyond "run his ass off for 90+ minutes."

John L repped this.
  24. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OA isn't going to improve the giveaways, he's not good with the ball yet. He is a good defender though, and could be real trouble if he could stretch his legs out there, and pressure the Crew back line.
    I say go for it, it's a look they won't be expecting. Of course it has 0 chance of happening.

25. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    We definitely could use an upgrade at RB, but until somebody better shows up, it's Nick's job.

dadman and Eastern Bear repped this.