Union Youth Development Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by derek750, Jul 23, 2010.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thomas19064 repped this.
  2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1052 thomas19064, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2018
    First REAL attacking talent that we've signed out of the academy isn't he? That's pretty exciting.

(Fontana has streaks of attacking, but I'm still subscribing to him being less of a 10 and of a box to box 8)

Twitter says he's primarily been playing on the left wing.

Another one incoming:

I think he's the Doop Hoops kid.

3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi.

Yes, the Union are signing Brenden Aaronson. It’s to a pre-contract for the 2019 season. Expect an official announcement early next week. More details here:

http://www2.philly.com/philly/sport...ion-indiana-hoosiers-recruiting-20180913.html

CITY&UNION repped this.
  4. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Adam Cann gushes about him and called him our Andrew Carleton. Apparently he's been dominating certain games with Steel. Does anybody watch Steel that could confirm/deny?

5. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. He looks very good, and is the reason why Najem is not getting minutes at Bethlehem.

CITY&UNION and jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cwelch999 repped this.
  7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, it depends on how good a job you feel the need to do for what you'll be paid. For example, organizing transportation to games and practices can be handled easily enough...just get all the players a boatload of SEPTA tokens or sign them up for Uber. Done. And probably cheaper than charter buses, so it fits the Union philosophy of getting good value.

buzzkiller23 and celt1997 repped this.
  10. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think it sounds that bad... but I agree they probably aren’t paying enough. Part of me sort of wants to bite on it but my posts here and on Twitter probably DQ me.

11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would apply if I was still out of work. Luckily I landed a good job that I really like.

Starpork repped this.
  12. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biff Sturla (!) remains unconvinced. Interesting story though. Sounds like it's mostly relationship building. Thanks for sharing.

13. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Pettican is well known in the Philadelphia Youth Soccer community. He was involved in starting BEST Soccer Camps I believe. He started and ran FC Europa, a top level club. He has been involved in other soccer related ventures. He is a great coach who does not take anything from players and expects only the best from them. It will be interesting to see what he does with this position.

14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sort of related to Philadelphia Union Youth Development. This thread is from the parent of a US Youth player at AZ Alkmar's Academy.

Earnie Stewart brought a lot of the philosophies used at AZ to the Union's Academy.

15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So now that a bunch of academy kids are working on their way onto the first team, who are the big names in the academy? Who's the future of the future?

thomas19064 repped this.
  17. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

facing off against Monterrey in the GA Cup. Games are on Twitch if anyone cares.

18. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Split their first 2 matches. Lost to Monterrey, but beat Fjolnir. Based on GD they are holding the top spot in their group (for now). Only 1st from each group advances to a Final Four knockout stage.

They play SKC at 2:45 today.

19. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And one shoe drops....http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-le...a-rule?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

MLS agrees to pay and accept solidarity and training compensation. Wouldn't be shocked if Earnie Stewart had some influence on this matter, or in the very least helped to facilitate the conversations within USSF and MLS.

Now MLS just needs to finally get rid of the Academy Territories. Then the Union just need to continue to let Ernst work.

21. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooo we're getting paid for Steffen now?

22. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    most likely not retroactive. If it was the Union could get money for CJ Dos Santos too.

23. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the announcement on the league website, it looks like the way MLS will justify this from a legal standpoint to get around child labor concerns is that they will make all parents and guardians sign wavers before joining MLS academies, which wouldn't apply to players that have come and gone, so I doubt they will try to get anything for Steffen, Santos, etc. One more thing to sign when I register my kids for youth soccer!

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...g-compensation-claims-and-solidarity-payments

"During the coming weeks, every MLS academy player and his parents or guardians will receive notice of this policy and have the opportunity to join informational sessions conducted by MLS club academies.

Additionally, each player and his parents or guardians will be required to sign an acknowledgement that if the player signs a contract to play professionally for a non-MLS club outside the U.S. or Canada, his MLS club academy will have the right to claim training compensation from that professional club (not from the player or his family) in accordance with the FIFA regulations."

24. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Warshaw makes an interesting point but for now (this season) I think winning is more important:
    Yes, the Union won again. Yes, they continue to fend off everyone else in the East to stay top of the standings. Jim Curtin has done just about everything right this year. But I want to raise the bar, just as I think he would want us to. It’s a pivotal moment in Union history, beyond trying to win a championship.

Brendan Aaronson and Auston Trusty have both fallen out of the lineup (not to mention Mark McKenzie’s drop to the USL Championship). It’s one thing to get young players on the field to start; it’s another thing to nurture them through their growing pains. MLS has been a graveyard for young domestic players who hit that first obstacle and couldn’t get over it. The world supply of soccer players is so big that it’s so easy to skip the hard part of development and find a replacement. But the Union can’t do that. Their long-term model needs them to develop Aaronson, Trusty and McKenzie as far as they can and then sell them for profit. Curtin has said as much. Right now, Curtin has to walk the line between a championship -- Philadelphia fans don’t tolerate less -- and development. For his club’s chances of winning trophies in the future, the club needs him to bring along their young assets. It’s stressful, but also exhilarating. The Red Bulls are the only club to have won a trophy and sold a Homegrown player in the same year (twice, with Matt Miazga and Tyler Adams). This is how American soccer moves forward -- the urgency and craft to do both.
    UNQUOTE