Union 103

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by Zak, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Welcome to Columbus Crew's newest supporters group Union 103.

I'll keep things brief...

In response to the need for a supporters group seated at midfield, Union 103 was formed. Union 103's aim will be to offer all Crew fans a place week in and week out, an opportunity to not only have a great seat to support Columbus Crew, but a great platform to support Crew.

I'm sure there are a lot of questions...First, where will this group be sitting? Section 103. Will there be a tailgate associated with this group? Absolutely. This group will start it's tailgating (officially) 3 hours prior to kick off in the southwest corner of the parking lot, the area where the Northenders used to tailgate.

Second, how will this effect the supporters seated in section 137? I encourage everyone who participated last year in section 137 to consider moving, we'd love to have you. Make no mistake about it though, there will be activities that were permissable in 137 that won't be in 103. Will the people that ultimately join Union 103 be standing? Absolutely. Will the people that ultimately join Union 103 be singing and chanting throughout most of the game? Absolutely. It is the activities that we all know about, and don't necessarily need to be rehashed that won't be tolerated.

Third, are tickets available right now? Yes they are. If you phone Brad Kessler with Columbus Crew, he can sell you season tickets at the rate of $288.00. If you have already renewed your season tickets for other locations in the stadium but would like to switch to 103, I've been told that you can speak with Brad and make some sort of arrangement.

Finally, you can subscribe to our google email group at the following address, http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Union103/

Please understand that the final details have not yet been etched in stone, and we are certainly open to your input. I would encourage everyone to follow the developments of this groups in the coming months and hopefully join up with us.

If you've got any further questions please feel free to message me with those. Thanks very much.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you say "the southwest corner of the parking lot, the area where the Northenders used to tailgate.", then I assume you mean that area between the paved VIP lot and the drainage ditch? One of the biggest benefits (maybe the only one) of tailgating under the trees was the shade. Will we have tailgate tents or have other measures been taken?

What about pricing for parking? If people don't want to pay the higher fee, they could always drive up, unload their stuff, go park and walk back. When we last moved to the paved lot, a few people complained about this which was part of the reason why we moved back to the grass lot. Will they just have to deal with the situation, or will opportunities exist to buy discounted parking passes?

I also noticed the price you quoted ($288) was between the youth and adult prices listed on the website. If someone buys Union 103 tickets through Brad when they could buy student tickets, is there a kickback to the group? Do they get something in return?

Speaking of tickets, what about discounted individual tickets? Obviously season tickets are, and should be, a priority, but there are always a few situations where people might need to buy extra tickets.

I also would hope that with the problems we initially had in 1999 with tickets saying assigned seating, but being a general admission mindset that tickets would say "General Admission" on them. I also think the signs at the top of the section helped, despite the fact that the "no profanity allowed" bit was ignored on a regular basis.

Have we retired V-Army's logo and colors, or is Union 103 the combined efforts of the individual groups plus everyone else who joins in?

3. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    This IS a joke right?

4. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, let me thank Zak, Brad Kessler and other members of the front office for their hardwork in setting up section 103 as *the* new official supporters section.

I believe 103 will have all the advantages of 137 with the addition of better sightlines and increased visibility of the group. I am very excited that we are addressing a number of issues that sprang up in the past few years with this move. It is encouraging that the FO is taking up partnership with the supporters section by providing us an opportunity to sit on the east side and continue to stand, sing, bang drums and wave flags.

Peter raises some excellent questions. We need to know whether 103 will be all, or in part, General Admission.

We need to encourage everyone who was in 137 to stand in 103. In my mind this venture will not be a success unless people who used to stand in 137 know about 103 and join us. The crowd of people who stand and cheer is not large enough to survive a divide in sections.

Furthermore, we should encourage people to buy a 12 or 9-pack of season tickets rather than just rely on day of game sales. It is important to show the FO that we are also serious about the Crew and the supporters section enough to make a committment to buy season tickets.

2007 will no doubt be an exciting year for MLS and for the Crew supporters I've made friends with over the past six seasons. I hope and believe this will continue in earnest in Section 103.

Thanks,
    Steve

5. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I hope you will join us in 103 as we try to provide a unified group of support for Columbus Crew in a section unburdened by in-fighting and the stigma of the past.

6. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My impression, and Zak or whomever that knows for sure can correct me, but Union 103 is not V-Army, it is not Legion 04, it is not the Wrecking Crew or Fort Knox, or any other group transformed into a new name and location.

Union 103 is a fresh start. The slate is wiped clean.

I think it might be helpful at some point if Zak could clarify what activities are no longer permissable that were tolerated in 137. I say this because people need to have no misgivings about what is and what is not OK in 103. I don't want Zak to make a list and then people start arguing over it. I would assume that its not up for debate with Brad Kessler or other Crew FO members.

Anyway, great start Zak (and credit to all others too). I had a 9-pack last season directly opposite 103 (west stands) last season, and I think we're all going to enjoy the sitelines from 103.

7. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    We are moving to the area at the paved VIP lots that you speak of. Additionally, we are actively seeking out tents to create the shade that you speak of.

Parking prices have not been addressed yet, so I'm not sure if a deal for VIP parking is going to be worked out or not. If I had to guess, I'd say probably not. There are a number of ways that we can address persons having to carry a cooler back and forth to their vehicles. I'd go as far to say that if people needed help, I would personally help them carry coolers if that was a determining factor as to whether they were going to tailgate with us or not.

Student ticket questions should be raised with Brad, I'm not sure how the ticket office is dealing with that. However, there is an $18 discount between listed prices and what is being offered. Here's why...The discount is being put in a Union 103 fund to help fund some of our endeavors. Persons that by the full 18 game pack, and thus contribute $18 to Union 103 funds automatically become paid members of Union 103. At this moment in time, what exactly the benefits of being a member of Union 103, are being determined. I promise you though, that you'll be pleased with what those benefits turn out to be.

There will no longer be discounted individual game tickets. Those people that need extra tickets will need to do so through purchasing them from Brad. Season ticket sales, are a top priority of mine in the short term. It is my hope that after paying for individual game tickets a couple of times, Union 103 will provide such an attractive image that those people will get a 9 or 18 game package. That's not to say though that I'm not aggressively pursuing the creation of ideas and ticket packages directly related to recruitment. I am.

We are going to do a much better job of due dilligence than was done in 1999. There will be little or no mistake about the section prior to folks purchasing tickets there.

As to the GA question, I'll have to get back to you on that. I hope to have an answer soon.

Folks that want to carry on the V-Army banner, can do that. I would hope that they would consider moving to 103 though. However, this is an independent supporters section. Rather than continue with the in fighting, and disagreements, this section is open to everyone. Union 103, is not a group in the traditional sense we've seen around the stadium. When you sit in 103 you are committing to supporting Columbus Crew through standing and sitting throughout the entire match. That's it. In no way will there be the "cliquiness" that we've become used to in recent years. I under no circumstance want to be part of a section/group, that promotes that any further.

8. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Absolutely right. More than anything else, I want it to be clear that the only mandate to be a part of this new movement is that you have a voice and don't mind using it, and would like to stand during matches. That's it. It's as I say, this is the closest thing we've had to an independent supporters association.

Not tolerated, organized cursing. Every attempt will be made to avoid cursing just to curse. Additionally, the chants that have nothing to do with Columbus Crew, again not tolerated. If you want to curse, if you want to chant about sleeping with the keeper's sister, by all means do so. But do it in 137. Also, I know it's a touchy subject, but I ask that everyone do a good job of personal responsibility when drinking during and prior to the match. Persons engaging in this type of stuff will almost certainly be approached by me, and spoke to, and then if it becomes persistent asked to leave. I'm not being paid to be a babysitter, and neither are the fans around you. The goal is to do this, and be hugely sucessful, rampant cursing and drunk and abhorent behavior isn't the way to be hugely sucessful. Those of you that know me, know what is going to be alright and what isn't. It's down to common sense in my opinion.

I would hope that you'd consider a 9 game pack in 103.

9. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    A couple of additional items...

I'm not going to engage in a debate as to the merits of the group, or rehash supporters related discussions that we've had in the past. Questions asked in earnest will be answered, questions that are obvious pot shots will more than likely be ignored.

I mentioned the $18 discount and how that is going to be put in a fund. At this moment in time I am developing a way by which we can conduct transparent accounting. If folks are committing their hard earned dollars to Union 103, I'm surely going to provide you with all information as to where those dollars are going.

Additionally, I will tell you that we are going to agressively try to recruit. One thing that has been mentioned here is the lack of visibility and lack of info about supporters groups in the past. This will not be the case with Union 103. There are going to be a ton of events prior to the April 7th home opener aimed at recruitment, and then a ton of events during the season as well. I/we are going to be committed to recruiting as aggressively as possible. The one thing that helps most though is word of mouth. For those of you that have already joined, or are going to join, I encourage you to speak to all of your friends about it.

Finally, in the short term one of the primary goals is going to be getting people to commit to 18 game season ticket packages. While I understand that committing to the team given their recent underperformance is difficult, your committment is not only to the team, but to the group of friends you will ultimately make. While the full plan is still being constructed, Union 103 is going to provide not only on the field opportunities but off the field as well.

10. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody jump on board. I know that Zak's been putting alot of time in on this and it should go over well. And, maybe, just maybe, you'll see me over in 103 a few times this upcoming season!

11. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds like a good idea! I may be in!

12. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Again, I encourage everyone to think about it. As always if you have concerns or are on the fence pm me and I'll do everything I can to help you make a decision.

13. calderone01

calderone01 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Pickerington, OH
    Hmmm......moving from Section 104 to 103?? Awfully tempting.:D

......nice job Zak, though some work on the parking would be good to see. It makes too much sense to allow for group members to park in the area near the tailgate, but if not so be it.

......also what the situation with flags, and banners going to be? Also are we labeling the section as "Crew Union" or "Union 103"? The later would be preferred on any banner.

14. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    The GA question, and the parking question are on my list, I hope to have the answer soon. Just so that I get the parking question right, are people wondering if there's going to be a discount on parking in the VIP?

Initially Crew Union was going to be used, however, Union 103 was almost universally more popular. So Union 103 is what we're going with.

My feeling at the moment is that we're probably going to need a banner at the front of the section with "Union 103" on it. Apart from that I'm really not sure. As far as flags, I believe the rule of thumb in 137 was that they could be waived when there was a stoppage in play. Is that accurate? As long as the flags aren't blocking anyone's view and the folks around them don't care, I'd say bring them by all means.

15. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow Zak, looks like you've put a lot of thought into it. it sounds like a good time...I may be in...

16. calderone01

calderone01 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Pickerington, OH
    Is registration in Union 101 required before we can join Union 103??:rolleyes:

As for the parking issue, if VIP discounts were okay with the FO that'd be great. If not a special pass of some sort would be necessary. At least those that were setting up the tailgate could be provided entry.

17. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One possible easy (logistically speaking) answer to the parking idea would be to have Brad give 103 season ticket holders VIP parking passes for the price of regular parking passes.

I don't know what else could really be done to accomodate easier tailgating if VIP parking isn't available. Perhaps that reserved lot on the dirt right across from the SW corner of the paved lot could be expanded to accomodate 103 season ticket holders or something of the sort.

The most expensive option, but most fan friendly would be to have all the tailgate supplies provided by Union 103. That would be grills, charcoal/propane, coolers, ice, food, drinks, etc. all there so that Union 103 people and anybody else that wanted to join in, didn't have to worry about bringing their own. Maybe do something like have a donation jar or charge rock bottom prices for things (2 hot dogs for $1 or something).

I'm just throwing ideas out there to see what might work.

18. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like this should be a great section. I may migrate down from 105 for a match or two.

Does the Crew even have any control over the parking prices or discounts? I was under the impression that parking is controlled by the fairgrounds.

19. AkronSoccerFan

AkronSoccerFan New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm in as well, but question Zak. If we do this for real, is the FO going to give us any grief for using drums? I wouldn't think so, but considering we're going to be in a more populous section, we might want to check. On that subject, check also to see what, if anything, there doing with that big bass drum we had last year.

I think I'm in, but may need to sneak past the ticket police... bought mine before all this got started.

20. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Not wishing to answer for Zak but i cannot look at this spreadsheet for work anymore.

Re the drums, I believe the section is for the exclusive use of Union 103.

Re the tickets give Brad Kessler a call, he will be able to help you switch to the new area and have you count as a Union 103 season ticket holder.

Correct me if I am wrong Zak, but the more season tickets sold in 103 the better.

21. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus 'til i die. It's a bit exciting to see so much activity and work being done during the offseason. Here's to hoping all goes better than even planned. Thanks for the work guys i know it hasn't been easy. I'll start saving now for season tickets, but i'll probably have to wait til my tax return comes in. The sooner damn work send my my W2s the sooner i'll be getting my tickets!

"Union 103" Banner wanted? I could try to work on it. I did the "In Sigi..." banner last year(which i believe Clem has?) and was looking for another project one for this season. I was thinking i could just do one that said "Massive" but if we need a Union 103 i could get on that as well.

When's the full season schedule come out?

Does this mean the end of the sombrero song?:(

22. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if you guys want to get a printed banner, I still think http://www.jakprints.com has good deals. an 8foor by 5 foot banner is $250, with grommets and full color printing. or you could get 8x3 for $140 and link 2 together in the front, they don't have to have the same design and you could make a split design between the 2. Did the FO pay for the Varmy banner hanging at the top of the Northend now? If so, will the do up a Union 103 banner?

23. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously if you and General Disarray are in, so am I. Fort Knox had it's run...

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FO did in fact pay for the creation of the three banners at the top of the north end. I'm sure they could make a banner for Union 103 if we asked them.

What about the smoke and confetti machines? Would those be joining us in the new section?

25. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Drums will be fine. Not sure about the bass drum, do we know who has ownership of that?

I would encourage you to speak with Brad and get your tickets converted. It is my understanding that "section hopping" is going to be heavily guarded against this season particularly in 103. The only way that I can say for certain that you'll be able to get into 103 is if you have a ticket to be there.