Unforgettable greats of our game

Discussion in 'El Salvador' started by el_cuscatleco, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Mago Cuscatleco

Sep 17, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was seven ( now 25 ) when I saw that, so I did not really see it, all I rmb was everyone getting up off of there seat and flipping out. Mexico won 5-0 after that.

2. Willsant87

Willsant87 Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I remember following the 98 qualifiers, & that was before the Internet was big, we'd sit around watching cnn waiting for the sports updates lol. After one game the reporter said something some the lines of 'El Salvador will play in the World Cup...well that would've been the case if....' we all were about to cheer lol. Back then ESPN also showed CONCACAF games, we watched the 0-0 game in Canada I remember one of our guys did a mad dive & got one of the Canadians sent off in that game, we watched the 1-1 game against USA & the 4-2 loss against them. Around that time I watched a lot of MLS on ESPN just to watch Cirnfuegos, Diaz Arce & Cerritos.

3. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

I'm the wrong guy to ask if that France 98 team was that good lol. There's a reason why a majority of my videos on Youtube have always centered around RDA and Cienfuegos. Those guys are my childhood heroes. And consider I grew up in DC with RDA at his height with DC United. Milovan took the players around those 2 guys and molded them into a hell of a unit. When you can get a stubborn guy like Nenei Demello and get him to buy into that system where Milovan demanded perfection you know that guys a hell of a person lol! It's tough they didn't make it to France because now you have people out there who will say "Oh but Diaz Arce and Cienfuegos never accomplished anything with the NT so who are they to talk." It's a team effort at the end of the day in a country where we are limited. Everything has to click to make it to a WC for El Salvador and they were literally almost there in 1998. Don't let the final standings fool you.

La Trucha repped this.
  4. Mago Cuscatleco

Sep 17, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

who remembers this match? I sure do!

5. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    That win was such a false high/hope for a generation that would go on to let us down. Alot of players who would go on disappear and disapoint. It felt awesome that day though. Saw the game at the same bar with my Dad and brother where I saw many cool wins including the ES-Panama win in 2008. Time flew and we still have yet to reach the WC but boy did I believe we had a core that would get us there that day. It was all for naught though.

6. Mago Cuscatleco

Sep 17, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I remember everyone was talking up Josue Galdamez so much...never did much afterwards.

7. Futbol E.S. Por Vida

Oct 31, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Same with William Maldonado with his team with the U17

8. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
  9. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Does Djoric still coach today?

PS. What is Vladan Vicevic doing nowadays?

10. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Nah Milovan is gonna be 70 in August he's been long done. Seems like he's an advisor of some sort nowadays.

Vladan works with Cerritos in his Soccer Academy here in Maryland teaching kids. There twitter account is @CerritosSoccerA which leads to there FB page.

slaminsams and La Trucha repped this.
  11. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Just watched this video of Cienfuegos. Wow, just wow. I can't believe a player like him came from El Salvador, it's not hard to see why he's a legend in ES and at LA Galaxy. He could've played at an elite European team, but the fact that he's a legend at LA Galaxy is enough for me. I wonder how Cienfuegos is going with his coaching for LA Galaxy academy.

PS. I also watched some videos of Raul Diaz Arce and Ronald Cerritos. I wonder how long before see another potential legend. At the moment we don't seem to have anyone like that, and we could've had a couple legends from the 2010 WCQ.

@TBR have you considered making videos for Jaime 'Chelona' Rodriguez and/or Norberto 'Pajaro' Huezo? Seeing as they are both considered Salvadoran legends. Perhaps you should make another Cienfuegos video but longer; 3 minutes just does not do him justice.

12. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    I am still disappointed those guys didn't try Europe and just stayed in the MLS. They were talented enough that they could've opened up doors for future players

JJV1994 repped this.
  13. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No it's not :coffee:

THIS 1,000 times

14. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    @slaminsams @JJV1994 I've accepted that our players won't be going to the top leagues anytime soon, and that several players could've gone much higher in their careers (especially Magico), but I can sleep easy knowing that several Salvadorans like Magico, Cienfuegos, RDA and Cerritos are all club legends, while Hugo Perez is a USMNT legend. Although I would prefer for Darwin and Punyed to play in better leagues, I wouldn't be upset if they were to stay at their current clubs for years and then become legends at Orlando City and Stjarnan respectively.

In Cienfuegos' case, he is still an active member of LA Galaxy by coaching at the academy which is a great thing.

15. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    To me they are showing the same lack of ambition coaching as they did playing especially Cienfuegos. He seems content just staying in LA's academy not really pushing for more. I'm glad Rodriguez has broken the mold

16. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Is Zarco considered a legend at FC Dallas? I deliberately left him out because I never hear him mentioned in the same light as Cienfuegos, RDA and Cerritos.

17. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    #167 slaminsams, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    I don't think they consider him a legend but given the MLS is such a new league with not a huge fan base even the biggest MLS players aren't really legends at least not in the way I think of soccer legends. Cult like status with a fan base. Guys that played their last few years here like Pirlo are legends but not because of their time in the league. Honestly it's kind of funny to read galaxy and legend together. Their fan base consists of a few thousand people that at earliest started following them 20 years ago lots later then that. That's not even old enough to drink in the USA they only have a few generations worth of players that have come through the club.

Sure the hardcore fans know Cienfuegos but he isn't a cult like figure in the LA sports scene

18. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    @slaminsams I was thinking about what you were saying, that Cienfuegos, RDA and Cerritos all stayed in MLS and didn't go to Europe.

I think it's due to a lack of exposure that they didn't go outside of CONCACAF. Cienfuegos had played several years in the Liga MX, and went to LA Galaxy after impressing at the 1996 Gold Cup. RDA, Cerritos and Zarco all also went to the MLS after impressing in the 1996 Gold Cup. If the squad qualified for the 1998 World Cup, no doubt several players would've gone to Europe.

After all, several players from the 1982 WC squad went on to play in Spain...

19. Jay_1348

Jay_1348 Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Van Nuys, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

100% agree when I see players like Menjivar, Oscar Ceren, Dustin Corea, etc I believe they all have the potential to play in the MLS but I have no idea why they're overlooked!

I do anything for another Cienfuegos let's hope Darwin continues his improvement in the MLS

I am honestly shocked our country hasn't produced another Magico, and it would be foolish to say that we are incapable of producing another player of that caliber! But it all comes down to FESFUT and INFRASTRUCTURE in our soccer programs! FESFUT really screwed up when they rejected integrating FESA into our youth systems! Honestly soccer talent thrives in poverty we need to scour our country (AND THE USA) for players that can become our next Magicos, Cienfuegos, etc!

20. Jay_1348

Jay_1348 Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Van Nuys, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Punyed deserves a better club but I have absolutely no problem with Darwin where he is! He is playing with Kaka and the MLS has improved drastically since it's 90s days! I have no problem with our players thriving in the MLS but the problem the MLS just doesnt sign Salvi players like they used too! It angers me seeing Salvis in the NASL or USL that play for La Selecta because I know they have the potential to thrive in the MLS!

I don't see Cienfuegos growing in the LAG academy, I agree with the other post he seems content where he is at! But when he was lobbying to be president of FESFUT with an agenda to pay players better in the Salvi league and for La Selecta,a nd to improve our youth infrastructure! I was 100% for it! I can see Cienfuegos making changes for the good of our soccer!

21. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Mauricio CienfueGOAT and Raul GOAT Arce.

[​IMG]

Jay_1348 and Blue_nation724 repped this.
  22. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Hopefully Ceren can make a legacy in MLS as well

La Trucha repped this.
  23. Futbol E.S. Por Vida

Oct 31, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Menjivar not physical enough for the league, the guy is slow compare to most MLS players, and is not athlete in any way. MLS is not for him somewhere else abroad is fine maybe Colombia, Peru, or Chile soccer league. Smaller Scandinavian soccer club. I even think the Australian league is perfect for him.

Dustin Corea is out of shape compare to when he was in Europe. MLS is not a league for him either if he can get back in shape Sweden or Denmark would suit him again.

Oscar Ceren is fine where he's at or Costa Rican league. That guy ego is not going to get him anywhere more than those 2 leagues. He's starting to get lazy too because of him thinking he's that good. Which is what happened to Zelaya too.

You'd do anything for another Cienfuegos? Well you missed Quintanilla then. Legendary as him? No. Good as him? That's quite debatable.

24. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Blanco is so undeserving to be on that team over Cerritos.

25. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    But hes the cuah. They weren't gonna leave someone like him outta the team. That's the political side of soccer