Unforgettable greats of our game

Discussion in 'El Salvador' started by el_cuscatleco, Aug 7, 2009.

1. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    This thread is dedicated to all the past greats of our game. That is players like Cienfuegos, Barraza, Rodriguez, Zapata, Huezo etc.

Feel free to post info/pics/videos on these players here.

I really don't know what the criteria should be classify as a "great" but i think anyone who was part of the squads that got us to either World Cup should be accepted. Also any player who is now retired and had a "successful" career abroad or at home should also be considered.

On a final note, if you wish to discuss Magico Gonzalez please don't do it here. He has his own thread (to see click here), and any comments on him should be left there. Also any comments on Hugo Perez should not be listed in his thread (located here).

And finally, to view the old Barraza thread, click here.

2. fcdallas2314

fcdallas2314 Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Garland, Texas, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  3. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Re: Raúl Díaz Arce up for DC United Hall of Tradition

He definitely should be voted in...makes me sick to read those comments that he wasn't a special player for DC...sad how people have forgotten his great memorys, and yet these are the same fans who adore Luciano Emilo. :mad:

4. Futbol E.S. Por Vida

Oct 31, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

I voted.

I stop being a "D.C. United fan" ever since they stop bringing in players from El Salvador. Mostly because RDA stop playing with them.

But yeah I don't like how people forgot about him and how great he was. RDA would use to score more than 2 or 3 goals in most games can Moreno do that during the time RDA was playing .....no :p. Moreno in my opinion is overrated. Most people think Moreno was better than him since he has more goals than him. Thing is Moreno was younger so he lasted longer in the league and that's why he has all those goals.

5. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
  6. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
  7. *E*S*2*

*E*S*2* Member

May 12, 2009
    N*Y*
    Club:
    CD Aguila
  8. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

So RDA was honored last night before the DCU-Seattle game...here's his new banner that will forever be inside whereever stadium DC plays...

[​IMG]

Thank you Raul!

9. El Pitudo

El Pitudo New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
  10. Chill [-0-]

Chill [-0-] Red Card

Feb 27, 2009
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Re: Mauricio Cienfuegos Coaching An MLS Team?

I may be crucified for this but: I don´t like the guy. Hes arrogant, and hes a terrible coach. I respecthim cause he was a good player but that's it. He's no DT. But hey...If somebody goes with it, good for him

11. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia

Somewhat agree, although i've never met him so can't really judge. I also feel the same way about RDA.

On the other hand though, in my biased opinion :rolleyes:, Cerritos is clearly the "nicest" and level headed player, when it comes to our past MLS stars.

12. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The arrogant part is exactly my feelings, by I think he likes to play as the most humble guy in the block, until is too late to turn back :rolleyes:

I can see one day, the LA Galaxshit giving him some kind of coaching staff position, but not the main coach (at least not yet)

13. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia

yes his arrogant but when he coached nejapa i saw a very disclipined side take the field when he was management

14. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    Tribute to Raul arana magana

one of el salvador greatest players lost his fight with cancer, he passed away last night.
    Raul Magana played for fas, alianza, municipal de guatemala, tornoto falcons of canada, atletico marte, once municipal
    he was considered by most people as the best goalkeeper ever produced by el salvador
    he played all 3 games at the 1970 world cup in mexico

after retiring from playing he coached several clubs in el salvador and recently alongside with ramiro cepeda helped atletico marte get promoted to the first division

he was also part of the fifa coaching comission for several years, he was a big advocate for change in el salvador during those bleak peroids
    :(
    condolscence goes to his family a great player
    hopefully by me posting this people will read up, look for information and admire the work he did for el salvador football

:(

15. *E*S*2*

*E*S*2* Member

May 12, 2009
    N*Y*
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Re: Tribute to Raul arana magana

dam:eek: R.I.P

16. GUANACO1

GUANACO1 Member

May 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Re: Tribute to Raul arana magana

did you know he was'nt the goalie who got us to wc mexico 70, it was another guy. Managa started the world cup because of popular demand.

17. El Pitudo

El Pitudo New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Cienfuegos & Diaz Arce candidates for National Soccer Hall of Fame

Cienfuegos & Diaz Arce candidates for National Soccer Hall of Fame...

Link

18. GUANACO1

GUANACO1 Member

May 18, 2007
    Los Angeles

2 questions

1.how do you know he's arrogant?
    2.how do you know hes a terrible coach?

19. salvatruco21

salvatruco21 Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Centreville
    Club:
    CD Atletico Balboa
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

maybe he asked for an autrograph and he refused and the terrible coach i guess what happen to nejapa

20. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia

well nejapa were a decent squad when he took charge considering the squad mwas made up of young players , he only quit nejapa because nejapa weren't willing to pay the players and assitant coach better pay and if anyone has been reading up the situation with nejapa they are struggling finacially for a month most people werent sure iof they were going to be in the first division and also they struggled to pay the rent to their staduim so they moved to chalatenango old stadium

21. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Óscar Quiteño es más que un héroe en el FAS. Murió en el estadio que hoy lleva su nombre y es más que un símbolo del equipo asociado.......

Link: Reservado para los grandes

22. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Decir Águila es decir Juan Francisco “Cariota” Barraza, y decir “Cariota” es decir Águila. Se hicieron grandes entre sí, y hoy uno no existe sin el otro.......

Link: Reservado para los grandes

23. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Santos Rivera perdió una final más en el fútbol nacional, pero esta vez como parte del cuerpo técnico de Águila.......

Link: Me queda esa espinita

24. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Casi en sus 55 años, Fagoaga conserva la misma pasión por el fútbol. Dice que ya hay pocos defensas con su estilo, y se identifica con Carles Puyol.......

Link: ¿Que paso con Ramón Fagoaga?

25. GUANACO1

GUANACO1 Member

May 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Mario Monge - The most underated Salvadoran player of all time.

1956 - Seleccion Juvenil El Salvador, Campeon Centroamericano y Caribe
    1957/58 - 11 Municipal, Ahuachapan; Subcampeon Nacional
    1959 - Atletico Constancia
    1961/62 - C.D. FAS, Equipo Campeon y Campeon Goleador El Salvador
    1962 - Italia FC, Toronto
    1963 - C.D. FAS, Equipo Campeon
    1965/67 - Alianza F.C., Campeon Nacional y Campeon de CONCACAF
    1968/70 - C.D. FAS, Subcampeon Nacional

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Monge

Not only was he a great player for la Selecta, but he has the Silverware to prove it. for some reason I couldnt find any pictures of the guy.